1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Craps Question : Who makes bets with stacks of red?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by LV_Bound, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :soapbox:Answer : The annoying guy at the end of the table.

Found a nice empty table and was immediately joined by another shooter. This person hit a few points and the crew comments that no one has been able to hit any points at this table. He also hit the "All Small" and missed the other 2 bets by 1 number. Table seemed to be working just fine for him.

This 3rd guy buys in for $300. Dealer quickly gives chips, but wait, the guy want all reds.
    Dealer pushes out 3 stacks of red and this guy attempts to pick up each stack in single attempt which cause each stack to fall requiring chips to have to be collected. (you can easily picture the mess)
    It seemed like the guy had collected all chips but left a single stack out there.
    The stickman is waiting and this 3rd guy states that its his Field bet.
    We aren't talking 3,4 or 5 reds. No, it is probably a $50 field bet in Reds and he places the stack at the back of the Field area.......right where this guy was tossing the dice. You can tell the guy changed his toss and It was only 2 tosses later the 7 appeared, the shooter colored up and left.

Granted I am a big proponent on one person's play not affecting the outcome especially in black jack, but I am also a big proponent on one person's ability to affect the positive mojo of a given table.

.....getting off the soap box now.

Granted craps people are very superstitious but come on. Do you think he has something against green chips?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that to be completely fair, green chips can be intimidating to some players because of the hike in value that they represent psychologically - especially when raising your bet.

If your objective is to play a $50 field bet, two greens probably isn't that scary. But if your objective is to play a $50 bet and press it a bit, you need to go to $75 or $100. If you were betting all reds, you could do it in increments of $5, which is a lot more comfortable for some players.

Remember, it's a 400% jump in value. Four reds is twenty bucks, four greens is a hundred. That's "just numbers" to some of us, but to others... that's a big difference that can feel a bit scary - especially when it comes to stacking chips on bigger bets.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. cjlangston

cjlangston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh puh-leeeeze

managing a stack of green and some red (for the press) isn't rocket science.
    Dude was either a dick or a newb...or one of those superstitious dorks who believes that the way they manage their bet-stack has some influence on the outcome :rolleyes2:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm only bothered when people can't "figure it out".

I play with a bunch of regulars up here. I toss the dice in the same area every time. Very few guys will move their chips for me. I guess they would rather re-stack them every roll.

A couple of guys will move them 4 or 5 inches, and I'm grateful.

What I hate more? The guy who thinks it's cute to fire the dice into the hardway layout when it's loaded with chips, or into the place bet area.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m one of those superstitious dorks:wave: But I believe in trying to keep my chipstack as low as possible so the dice don’t hit my chips.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. worldtraveler

worldtraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The shooter and others around the shooter always look to blame others for a 7 out. I really don't understand how a betting style like don't betters, stacking chips can influence the outcome of a dice throw. It's a game. Sometimes you win, most of the time you lose. Just enjoy whatever you bet and hope to win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's simple etiquette.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the categorization: dick,newb, or dork. One more category for a respectable player and we are almost there.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guy just likes to play with reds. I'm sure if the shooter asked he would have moved it over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some folks need to take a few lessons or observe a game or two before jumping in.

$300 in reds is ridiculous!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been playing craps for about two years and one year into that I started counting and recording how many times a 7 is rolled after a new player joins (and delays the game) or when the dice bounce off the table. It's staggering to say the least...
    There's a 39% chance of a 7 being rolled when a new player joins and delays the game.*
    And... a 48% chance of a 7 being rolled when the dice bounce off the table.*
    When it happens, I step back and bust out my phone and just check off a table I have in notes.
    About six months ago I took a leaf out of this older mans notebook and stopped my bets from working when the dice rolled off, and bam... 7. Saved me about 3-400.
    That's also around the time I learned what "c and e" is.

I do the same thing when blackjack dealers change and in that situation there's a 35% chance of them getting a blackjack!*

*I'd say these numbers are +5/-5% because at some point I will have had more than a few drinks. :cheers:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, so it was you at the table. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Military Mike

Military Mike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally if I am wanting to play and the point is on then I wait till the point comes off or a 7. Once there if I only play 100 then it's two or 3 reds at a time depending on how long I go. If I change out 300 then it is red, green, black and 5 whites for bonuses. Even when I was a newb I knew better than to put a large stack in the way of the dice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. boxofbirds

boxofbirds Royally Flushed

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely seen field bettors who like to bet large stacks rather than fewer higher denomination chips. I have no idea why. My only guess is it's a "NOTICE ME" kinda move. Like tipping a stripper by raining her with a hundred $1 bills rather than just tipping the stripper one $100 bill.

Either way, it's bad etiquette and I would purposefully try to knock it down with my dice every roll if I were the shooter on the other end.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus 3:2, nothing else will do

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely a dork move, but you have to admit that giving it to him three stacks of twenty is a d*** move. I suppose it is the sort of dork move that warrants a d*** move in response.

I generally play $20 hands in BJ so I go through a lot of reds -- I usually just say that when I buy in and let the dealer decide how to accommodate that. It's their bank to manage. I would guess they'd rather not have to change me out five minutes later, but it's up to them.

16. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of guys just "stack" their chips to double up the bet. Two red become four, then eight, 16.......

I don't think it's a huge deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me neither. Most shooters throw straight down the middle anyway but I've seen some fancy throws that start at the big 6/8 area and circumvents the back wall.

18. Jaygee77

Jaygee77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He should have just placed a nice, crisp $50 bill on the field and said "cash plays". That wouldn't have bothered anyone...

19. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

.......Until the dice hit the cash!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious why the shooter didn't ask the guy to move the chips to a different spot. Landing zones should be respected!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.