1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Cal, Feb 28, 4 nights. “Please let me get you a wheelchair.”

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Ty, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This was our first trip to Vegas since last may, pumped to be going back.

Travel day was a bit of a headache. Since we’ve been avoided carbs we skipped our usual Chic-Fil-A biscuit and stopped in at Krystal for to-go breakfast bowls. Kim wanted to wash her hands so I dropped her at the curb. I parked the car then headed in to hit the restroom. I find Kim waiting at the counter, she whispered the manager had just blessed-out one of the employees and fired the guy. The other employees seemed to be in shellshock. Took 15 minutes to get the food.

Proceeded to drive to Atlanta in a light rain. Got to the airport and I missed the parking lot so I had to loop around. Finally get on the Park/Ride shuttle. The driver announces that due to construction we will be dropped at the other side of that airport and we’ll have to walk across. At this point I starting to worry about time. We have TSA PRE but Kim gets pulled aside for a metal check, then my backpack gets pulled aside for Krystal breakfast bowls.

Make it to the gate, flight delayed. Board about an hour late for a five hour flight (usually closer to 4).

No problems getting bags and getting to Uber. The drived texted me the spot info, I didn’t notice the text. I call and she just keeps repeating she texted it to me, eventually gives the spot info. She could have yelled my name and I would have heard her. I get to her car and she’s freaking out about “don’t scratch the paint’. She’s driving a brand new car. She talked the entire ride to The Cal.

We get checked in, the tower nearest MSS is full so we get the other tower. Would find out later this makes for quite a hike to/from Boar’s Head.

Next we head over to MSS to find @bubbakitty at the bar. I didn’t spot him right away but Oleg was familiar with him. We chatted for a few minutes then we headed over to 777 and share a few appetizers for lunch. Afterwards we returned to the bar for a few hours of chatting and VP. Around five we (including Bubbakitty) headed down to Fremont to visit Ingrid, afterwards we stopped in the Second Street Grill and ate at the bar. Back to Boars Head for VP and some Jose. Since we are east-coasters we couldn’t hang long, time to turn in.

I slept pretty good but we heard a lot of noise from Fremont Street. With the Vegas Club gone there is nothing to block the sound from FSE. We noticed this every night.

Next day. This is Kim’s shopping day. She will wait till around noon then get a 24 hour bus pass. This way she can go back the next morning to buy the stuff she was undecided about on the first trip. I walked with her to the bus stop just outside the Cal. The ticket kiosk is gone so we walk over to Binion’s and buy the ticket. She goes shopping I go back to the bar.

For the evening we have ressies at Second Street Grill. Kim and I had the crab legs. Awesome! Bubbakitty had a cut of beef which he seemed to enjoy. We had our favorite server, Tony. On the way home we stopped in Binions for a group photo with the stack of money. Then we head back to the bar at MSS.

At this point I’ll stop to mention Kim had a few drinks at Second Street Grill. As we approach the bridge to MSS from the Cal Bubbakitty and I noticed that Kim has taken the exit ramp to the game room. We stop and look at each other, a few seconds later we hear her say “Oops!”

Friday morning. This is the day for Kim’s ‘revisit’ trip to the Outlet Mall, since it will be a short trip I decide to tag along. We have to go back to Binion’s to get me a bus ticket. BubbaKitty has advised we can easily take the WAX, he sends me the pick-up times and we head out. At the bus stop we meet a very nice Canadian couple travelling with carry-on luggage. They tell how they can travel for weeks on end with just the carry-on bags. I get a bit jelly. We came to Vegas for 4 nights and brought 2 duffle bags that weigh 50 pounds each.

We get to the Outlet Mall with two stores in mind, Robert Graham for me and Francesca for Kim. Along the way we pass the Tumi store, we stop in. I’ve heard many good things about Tumi on VMB so we buy a carry-on based on Kim’s commitment to downsizing. I buy two shirts from RG and Kim picks up something from Francesa. Time to head back to MSS.

We hit up 777 for some lunch then find BK at the bar. We spend a few hours playing VP. During this time I start noticing some pain in my left foot/ankle. As the afternoon progresses the pains goes from a 1 or 2 to 6. I head to the room for some rest and ibuprofen. We had ressies for another visit to eat at Second Street Grill, this got canceled. I can barely walk. I get a shower and get ready for the evening. I manage to hobble down to Boar’s Head. We play VP for maybe an hour and my foot is killing me. We stop at Redwood and eat at the bar. Retire to the room. More ibuprofen. Time for bed.

Last full day. Foot is tolerable. We go to the Market Street Café for a late breakfast, both have an omelet, good stuff. Hit the bar at MSS for some VP. My left foot starts throbbing. I suspect it’s gout. Kim gets some baking soda from the kitchen (my go-to home cure). At noon I take some BS and ibuprofen, then lay on the bed with my foot elevated, Kim goes downstairs to play VP. After 3 hours of laying on the bed I decide to join Kim. My foot won’t go in the Croc, about an inch is hanging out. I lay back down. Around 4 Kim comes back to the room. She insists on getting me a wheelchair, I resist. Lather/rinse/repeat x3. I finally give in to the wheelchair and she wheels me to the bar at MSS. I find a barstool and she stashes the wheelchair. I manage to play for a couple of hours. We hit up the Redwood bar again for dinner. Foot is not happy.

We make it back to the room. I load on up baking soda and ibuprofen. Manage to tune out FSE and get some sleep. We’re up around 4:30am to finish our packing. I can barely hop to the bathroom. We decide to use the bellhop and take a taxi. Kim wheels me down to the taxi. On the way to the airport Kim asks how we get a wheelchair at the airport. The driver is first-language English, he said he didn’t know how to get a wheelchair but he would figure it out. Taxi pulls up to SouthWest curb-side check-in, before he even gets our bags out he shouts to the skycab about getting a wheelchair. The skycap replies, “I got you covered, don’t worry about it”. We check our bags in, the skycap tells us a wheelchair is on the way, we would get pre-boarding, and he’s set us up for a wheelchair in Atlanta. A minute later a guy comes out with a wheelchair. He explains he will get us through security and to the gate. This was a real blessing and it was great to have the support.

Kim and I are the only folks to pre-board, we go about 3 rows and sit down. The flight was smooth and short (3 hours). When the plane starts unloading we stay in place, the flight attendant says there’s a wheelchair waiting for us. A lady helps us get from the plane to baggage claim, she helped Kim pull our bags off the belt, and helped us get to the park/ride shuttle.

The last thing I ever expected from this trip was to be in this condition. But, I’m truly amazed and apprecitive of the support we got in the airports.

It was great to spend time with BubbaKitty. One afternoon BK and I were playing VP next to each other at the bar, Kim was about 7 seats down. BK bumps me and says he hears Kim. I look down the bar and Kim is hands-in-the-air celebrating a Royal Flusth (number 7 for her).

It was great to see the staff at MSS (Jose, Robert, Brandon, Chrystal, Ipo, Laurie, Jennifer, etc.)

It was great to see Ingrid in her new position as a Host at Fremont, congrats to her.

It was great to eat at Second Street Grill. Cannot beat crab legs with Mr Tony!

Gout sucks! The cabbie told me he has meds he takes when it flairs up. I’ll be talking to my doc about this.

We got home Sunday evening. Today (Thursday) is the first day I can walk properly. I still have trouble getting my left foot in a Croc. Definitely improving though.

I feel like I need a do-over trip.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the nice TR. Sorry to hear about your mobility issues but it’s nice to know you got the needed a assistance without a big hassle...

• Like Like x 1
  3. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your report, @Ty.
    Sorry to hear about the gout. Not recommending ;) but letting you know
    folks I know have been prescribed Indocin for gout and they have reported it helps them quite a bit.
    Happy to hear you got to meet up with @bubbakitty.
    Hoping a future do-over trip will work out for you and help with making things right with Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    stress fracture?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    apple cider vinegar for gout, natural not store brand. Could you not have taken the loop shuttle for free to the outlet?

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A do-over trip is always a good thing. Congratulations on the missus for her RF!

Sorry about your gout. I have meds for that and make sure I take them with me to Vegas. I tend to dehydrate (even though I say I will I always forget to drink enough water) in Vegas and last trip I had a kidney stone episode that wasn't very pleasant.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Hope on your do-over trip you get a bunch of Royals!

• Like Like x 2
  7. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OH has had diclofenac for gout in the past. Worked for him.

A diet change stopped it happening but I can’t remember the details just now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @eaglejohn I forgot about the loop shuttle. I wish we would have checked it out.

9. tldbucs

tldbucs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dynamic Health, organic certified tart cherry juice concentrate. Works and fast. Have introduced to several other people and 100% positive feedback.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn sucks to have a bum foot like that.
    Was Kims Royal at $’s?
    Get a good over trip and come when I’m there haha

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to give you props for swallowing your pride and taking the wheelchair. My husband would be refusing so far past the point of ridiculousness....I want to punch him in the nads just thinking about it.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hehe - glad to hear others have done this too :wave:

Good or bad: Thanks for sharing your trip!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer no, quarters. Do wish to hit it up with you guys one day on the Strip.

15. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was very hard to swallow. Like your hubby would do, I refused to the point of ridic, then Kim won.

16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kim is laughing with you.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I told him your story and my response and he feigned innocence...

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does your foot still hurt? You could get checked out for DVT.

19. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the "walk into the arcade" thing so many times I too am glad I'm not the only one!

Couple of times I was drunk and I just stood there, couldn't figure out what was happening.....

The other times I get so mad at myself for doing it again......

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A buddy of mine ended up with gout when his wife and kids were gone for a week and he subsisted on nightly rations of scotch and bowls of Gardetto's.

The good news? Simple diet changes will make an immediate impact.
    The bad news? You need to completely cut out alcohol and shellfish for a while. Red meat should probably be minimized as well. I am very suspicious of the recommended "home remedies"... please talk to a doctor. Also - once you have had gout you are at a far greater risk of getting it again. Good luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.