$20 Planet Hollywood

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, the $20 trick is sort of a dying breed. I have found that it is almost more effective to ask nicely for a 'complementary upgrade', and then if they can deliver, thank the attendant and tip them for their help. I have done that a few times, and while it doesn't get me a suite, it can get me a better view, higher floor, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. C-lo

C-lo Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh ok great thanks for the input.

3. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in on Tuesday May 2. I handed the 20 to the gal along with my DL and CC and she set it back up on the counter before I could ask about an upgrade. I asked if there was anything available a little nicer than what I had reserved (Ultra Resort). She said that she'd look and see. Then she left the counter for a couple of minutes. She said that she had something better, but I'm not sure what it was called because she spoke very softly. I thanked her and she gave me the paperwork to sign. I gave her the 20 as I returned the paper and she asked, "Oh wow! Is this for good service?" I said yep, she thanked me very much, and I was on my way. I'm assuming that their policy is that their employees can't be offered money to give out upgrades, but they can accept tips for great service.

Any idea what kind of room I got? North tower. The room was VV 1440. If you're looking at the north tower from the blvd, it's the shorter section that juts out toward the road. I was on the very end, overlooking the pool. Thanks!

4. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got any pictures? Or can you describe it?

5. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

6. Shane.Decker

Shane.Decker One night...In Vegas...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gotten a similar room with a $20 before. Believe it is referred to as a corner suite if my memory serves me correctly

7. VegasFirstTimer

VegasFirstTimer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello,
    I am a first timer vegas and this forum. I have a trip for Planet Hollywood booked as I am a CET Diamond member and have many hotels comped. The room I reserved was a Ultra Hip Strip Suite and I have a question. Should I do the $20 sandwich when I check in? Are there any rooms above this that they would give me? Is there any tower I should request?

8. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Ultra Strip Suites are pretty nice but they do have better rooms. I prefer the North Tower since it has the preferred strip view of the fountains.

Mark

9. VegasFirstTimer

VegasFirstTimer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my question is given that I have a reservation for ultra strip suite do I try the 20 dollar trick at check in?

10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like the next level up would be a Ultra Boulevard Suite. The difference in prices is pretty substantial (probably $700 per night) from an Ultra Strip Suite. You could try $20, but I doubt you will any success in upgrading with that amount.

11. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have to connecting rooms requested for 05/17/2018-05/21/2017 EDC Weekend. Do you guys think $100 sandwich would score both rooms an upgrade? Maybe to like 2 connecting fountain view rooms?

12. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am impressed how you are able to go backwards a day for a whole year!

PS - I don't think you need to do an $100 sandwich. I have requested connecting rooms multiple times, with and without an $20 trick. Never an issue once at Paris, Ceasar's, and Flamingo.

13. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

LOL I didn't even notice it... My bad.. But I'm trying to get both rooms upgraded.. But I'm starting to think that there may not be 2 connecting Fountain View Rooms. But rather 1 fountain view and 1 connect regular room. Am i right?

14. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no idea. I would imagine a block of rooms facing that way would be similar.

15. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

There definitely ARE two connecting Fountain View rooms at Planet Hollywood because I stayed in one this past September. It was an Ultra Hip room and it had a connecting door, so there are definitely rooms facing the Bellagio Fountains that do connect. You should try and get as high of a floor as possible for the best views.

16. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    awesome thanks, I'll definitely make a request at check-in.

17. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have 2 rooms booked in May at PHO.. Gonna slip $100 sandwhich and ask for a 2bedroom suite. Will report back ;)

18. Rhaethe

Rhaethe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in 2/12/18. Had reserved a standard, and she gave us the choice of a Suite on the lower floors, or one of the remodeled Ultra Hip Kings on the 32nd floor with a perfect view of the Bellagio fountains. We opted for the latter. Really pleased with the room. It was a simpme 20 sandwich, so not sure if the upgrade we got was huge, but scoring the view was awesome.

19. AceOfVegas

AceOfVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like at least a 30 dollar upgrade to be had. I think I like the high floors better than suites anyway, easier to sleep. Or at least stay asleep till noon lol.

20. THE FLYING V

THE FLYING V Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed Feb 14-18. Had a comped ultra hip room all set. Thanks to my TR rewards Visa, I was platinum, so went directly to the platinum/ diamond private check in room, and promptly handed the nice lady my "$20 sammich! She looked at my wife and I and said, " on Valentine's Day, and you're looking for an upgrade? Really?! We sheepishly laughed it off expecting to get the $20 back, but then she said, "just kidding". She started typing and then said, "I do have a suite available, but it's older and hasn't been renovated in 7 yrs." I was fine with that, after all it's only 7 yrs, but then again, in Vegas, that's like a millennia! So I asked if it was clean, and she said, " I think you'll like the Z-3 suite". We go to the elevators, but can't find the sign for the elevators going to the 50th floor...we find out the lifts that take you to the 38th floor, also take you to the penthouse levels 50 and 51! We get to the "Z-3" suite, and find out it the James Bond suite!!! I could not believe it! Still had props and cool posters with everything Bond! Incredible views of the Bellagio/Cosmo/ and City Center. A full size wet bar with stools, an eight person dining table, huge main room, seperate bedroom, and the best bathroom my wife has ever had in Vegas, and we've been going every year since 1992! We made the room the jump off point every day for the other two couples we were with, and actually spent more time in the room than we ever had in Vegas. Best $20 trick we've ever had, and we usually have a 90% success rate at CET props!

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1