1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who uses a breathalyzer while in Vegas, and if so, do you have a recommendation?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Mirageluvr, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used one a couple years ago and I truly believed it was accurate....unfortunately I lost the damn thing...do you think it works, and if so, any recommendations for a replacement? Thanks.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day (80's), I had them in our pizza parlors at the front counter. They were little machines that sat on the counter and you put a quarter in and use a disposable straw to see what your BAC was. We used to have tons of softball teams that would come in and they'd drink a LOT of beer. My thought was it would help someone decide if they were OK to drive or not... however, it turned out to be like those punching machines... people would do it to see who could get the highest "score"!!! Guys would put a quarter in, blow... then run back and chug some more beers and come back up to see who was the most drunk!!! I ended up replacing them with some that predicted your love life or some damn thing!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nowadays most of the ones sold for use by the general public take this into account and will not display the actual number above a certain threshold. Fuckin' buzzkills.

EDC
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use to have a bactrack keychain one...cost $30 or less on amazon...it was pretty damn accurate...I checked it with a police one, lol...anyway, after a few months, less than 1 year, the sensor will dry out and have to be re-calibrated...it cost almost the same to just buy a new one...now if you have a high dollar one, maybe it would be worth it...I tossed mine and havent gotten a new one yet...

• Like Like x 2
  5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to pay with one of these things. Always wonder what my bac while in the midst of a good bout of drinking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not bragging but the highest I've ever recorded "officially" was .27. Yea......I didn't feel too hot the next day.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you have to wait 15 minutes after your last sip of alcohol to get an accurate reading, if not it will read much higher than you are or error...once that sensor dries up, you will get all kinds of false measurements, but it was worth the $30 off amazon for many many accurate readings

• Like Like x 1
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had one, got it at Fry's, don't remember the brand, but it quit after a few years and I never replaced it.

It basically confirmed all of those charts of what a woman my size would have for BAC after so many drinks. I doubt if I will buy another.

I also remember the bar quarter machines. The guys would just try to get the absolute max they could and still go out and drive home!

9. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to know their BAC? Unless you're buying it to gauge your ability to drive, and in that case (this coming from a DUI offender:bang:) why even risk it? What it cost me, I could have taken a cab from Tampa to Las Vegas and back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only used it on one Vegas trip before losing the damn thing. I like it for my own curiosity, and for entertainment purposes. CHEERS, Gino.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :haha: I can understand that. We had a suite party several years ago where I declared myself "college drunk" and really wished I had one to see how right I was. I sometimes think I need one to help convince "that friend" that no, we do not need to go meet someone at yet another bar, it's bed time for you, drunko! :drunk:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel the same way when my sister-in-law spends the night, and I notice in the am that a liter of Cruzan has magically disappeared. My wife only over indulges around her younger sister. :goofy:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WHY NOT?

Believe me, sooner rather than later iPhones will come with a little wand you plug in and you'll be able to put a disposable sensor on the end and stick it in your piss or any other body fluid and it will analyze it and add your stats to a database and you'll be able to bring up an app called "pissR" with a buncha charts that show how your piss (or whatever) compares to everybody else's.

Look at the DNA shit they sell now, which I think is probably fake and run by Elizabeth Holmes's underachieving roommate from Stanford. "Look, I'm 1/64th platypus!"

Why? WHY NOT? lol.

• Like Like x 2
  14. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bactrack S80. We don't use it for Vegas, but for home. I can't recommend it enough and lots of friends have bought one after seeing ours too. It is police grade accuracy. They just recently had a sale. If you don't need it immediately, might wait to see if they have anything for Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't drive in Las Vegas, so I do not care what my blood alcohol is, at least as long as I can somehow make it from where I am to my room without security intervening. I make very close friends with Grgich Hills cabernet.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen them, but would not get or use one.

I am too old to worry about getting the high score or bragging about drunkenness.

And as for driving, my general rule is if I think it is enough of a question that I'd want to check a breathalyzer, I don't drive.

17. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bactrack already has a breathalyzer that plugs into smart phones, been out for quite a while now

18. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curiosity, also to be sure I was legal, as a few of the communities around here have almost ****-like sobriety checkpoints on occasion.

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.