1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hmmm, what to make for dinner?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife made chicken cattiatorre (sp?) tonight. I also bought spicy ahi poke and tako onion poke.

I know. They don't match but such is life......

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prepping for lunches tomorrow. Going to try some Master's Egg Salad.
    6 hard-cooked eggs, diced
    1/2 c diced celery
    2 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp pepper

It doesn't specify what type of vinegar so I'm going to use apple cider vinegar. My egg salad is usually just eggs, mayo, salt.

3. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite "fast but still a meal" dinner:

Chunks of Pangasius filet (don't know the English name, but imagine it's something similar) in the wok, add broken green beans, chopped onion and garlic, fry until onions are golden brown, add teriyaki sauce, let it simmer a bit, then add ready to wok rise, stir through until warm, finish with fresh coriander and mmmm...

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just had family in town, so a lot of cooking was going on.

We did Thanksgiving-lite for my Australia-living sister-in-law. One night, with several picky-/vegetarian-eaters in the mix, we did skewers of lamb (yogurt-curry schmear), chicken and tofu (those two with oregano, garlic, lemon), Greek salad, and Orzo with mizithra . For s-i-l's "last supper" I made Bolognese -- which I will finish off on bucatini for lunch today! -- roasted beets and carrots, and a sweet potato cake with a maple-sugar glaze.

And a LOT of wine went down!

5. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Making homemade noodles for chicken noodle soup. I made them too thick so it’s going to be chicken and egg noodle dumpling soup for dinner. Lol Have my chicken breasts and vegetables making my broth up right now and I have fresh yeast rolls rising on my counter to bake. It’s cold and rainy here on the Finger Lakes. Definitely soup and warm bread weather.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When my parents would visit -- man, I sure miss them -- we'd let mom choose a fave for us to make one night. Our repertoire is broad but we knew she'd opt for osso buco or chicken and dumpling. It was like clockwork. Then one night we'd make tamales together. Best of times. Family. Love. Sharing. And that greatest binder ... good food.

7. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My grandmother passed away, but she was the one that I inherited the love of cooking and baking from. She lived in Texas and every time I would visit we would make enchiladas and sometimes tamales together. Mexican is my favorite, but I must admit not what I’m best at. Lol She taught me to make homemade biscuits using lard or bacon grease and they are so freaking good. Also I won a pie competition at the fair years ago with her peanut butter pie recipe. It has cookie crust and crumbled bacon on top with melted salted dark chocolate shavings garnish. Her Apple pie was made using cinnamon roll dough but only at Christmas. I see that recipe ( using premade tubed cinnamon roll dough though ) has been on the Internet lately. You sound like an amazing cook Ken. You cook much more fancy than me but I’d like to get a bit more refined in my methods.

8. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here’s the chicken noodle soup and yeast rolls...All ready to eat! [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect cold weather dinner.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So lucky having someone like that to guide. My sister is a bit like us, but where we have diversity she has the ability to pull off something for 60 guests, seated. Amazing. Mom was a guide as much by what she couldn't do -- we always had food on the table, but she worked so the repertoire was limited -- as what she fostered, and that was a sense of adventure. If it was on the table, you ate it. If it was ethnic, you ate it. She created omnivores and that was a great gift. And she loved Mexican. TY TY TY

I've followed your kitchen exploits for quite a few years and you have it nailed. And we do plenty of one-pots and turkey burgers. But we are as likely to put some garam masala and brie on that burger as cheddar and red onion.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  11. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today... picked up a quiche at Whole Foods on the way home and stuck it in the oven. Found some nice looking baby bok choy so I started some rice now for veggie fried rice tomorrow and the rice is better a day old for that.

12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you have nice buns Hoofy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made a giant pot of vegetable soup (my grandmothers recipe) and water.

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lazy and still trying to empty fridge, freezer and pantry. It's my version of spring cleaning. Tonight - salmon & carrot cakes with green beans. Roasted a chicken earlier in the week so enchiladas (ish - I'm never very true with Mexican) tomorrow and stock for...something :)

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Bil made some kalua pork and gave me some. So I figure I'll put it in a covered pot with a little water and steam it with some fresh mustard cabbage. Have that with steamed white rice.

Like the Hawaiians say "real ono" (delicious)

Or the local slang "Broke da mout" (pidgin for the same as above)

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cut up green bell peppers, tomatoes, and kielbasa with Zatrain’s Dirty Rice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made some hot sauce today. Put to use my late bumper crop tomatoes and Serrano Chili peppers. Last time my sauce did not meet the appropriate Texas heat meter. This time I added a bunch of Serranos and had the husband taste until I got it hot enough. It must bring beads of sweat on the forehead and clear the nasal passages. Bingo I have a winner this time.

The Lobo Negro Beer was used in the Chili that is simmering on the stove. Our local grocery store has gotten rid of some old favorites I use in My Chili. Tgey used to have several that I could buy single. Now they Replaced them with a bunch of upscale IPAs etc. I’m not a beer fan just need a dark beer and I’m not paying $6 for one beer. The guy that runs the dept suggested the Lobo Negro. Brewed locally— I just had to taste it before I pored it in the pot. On the gag meter it is a solid 9. Barf. In the past I could buy a dark Shiner Beer or Spaten’s Ultimator.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a cookbook purge yesterday. We nuked 30 titles, I'd guess. Gonna see if the high school culinary program wants them. Between that, plotting out holiday menus, uploading a bunch of forgotten CDs to iTunes and surfing through multiple CFB games, dinner was as basic as they come: Spaghetti carbonara and arugula salad.

After months being on the road, dealing with my dad's decline and death, and having friends and family in, it's most enjoyable having a home weekend with just the two of us!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, just got them reorganized and back on the shelves. We're down to 52. Also purged three or four three-ring binders with stuff we tore out of mags or printed online going back two decades. That is down to one manila file folder.

Grilled pork loin chops tonight, with cherry tomatoes and a scallion-cilantro sauce. Maybe do some salty sweet potato crisps in the oven.

20. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scrapped last night's plans because we had a bonfire and decided the coals were too lovely to pass up, so we cooked hot dogs ;-) Baked beans & a salad on the side. I don't even like hot dogs. But when something is cooked outside, it seems to taste good, no matter what....

Tonight - local pork sausages with cauliflower cheese.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.