1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How about them Golden Knights!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JRRestoule, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet not 1 person predicted a 7 and 1 start to their season... I think it's awesome!
    Anybody know what the odds of them winning the Cup were prior to the start of the season?
    They play the defending Stanley Cup losers (Nashville) on January 2 and I'm planning to go to the game... I hear the home games are pretty well attended and the fans in Vegas are great.
    Looking forward to experiencing Canada's game in fabulous Las Vegas!

• Like Like x 3
  2. tornadobox

tornadobox High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. WINGSFAN2012

WINGSFAN2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What else was smart was the Monte Carlo not shutting down completely for 6 months like several employees told me in April.

How could you close when literally in your backyard is the first Vegas professional sports team? Smart reassessment by the MGM Properties bigwigs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet on them to make the playoffs before the season began.. I cant remember the odds.. I think it was plus 580..

• Like Like x 2
  5. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an LA Kings fan, Boston Bruins diehard, and a hockey fan, i am amazed at how well the Knights are doing (way too early, but Kings/Knights in the playoffs?).
    However, why in gawds name is the mascot a worm or snake or whatever it is.
    Knights are playing in T-Mobile Arena on MGM's property, they are surrounded by MGM resorts on the South Strip.
    One of those properties is MGM's Excalibur, you know, the place with Knights in shining armor?
    MGM could of had a connection between the Golden Knights the hockey team and the Knights used in the Tournament of Kings show at Excalibur.
    Having a Knight who can skate during intermission as well as before and after games is a no brainer. Whoever/whomever never though of this should be sent to the dungeon......LOL.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They were named for the West Point Golden Knights.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

The only game we lost was the night they unveiled "Chance" lol. The Gila Monster was a surprise. I'm told it's for the kids. Maybe they'll love him?! We refer to him as Larry the Lounge Lizard. He should carry around a martini and be followed by showgirls... Oh wait, that was done by the mayor.

Seriously, though, the Knights games have been more fun that I ever could have imagined. Every game seems to top the last. I don't know that they can carry this momentum throughout the season, but I'm having a ball for however long "the fever" lasts. We have made incredible strides already and that can't be taken away from us. 21 players have scored for the knights, they reconfigure the team for every match up and the guys don't skip a beat, even with a third string goalie. Seeing vgk gear sell out and spotting it all around town and feeling the presence of a professional team has been a real treat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  8. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I give them a lot of credit for suiting their system to their talent. They know they don't have many snipers, so they play a team-oriented low risk style that seeks to take advantage of the opponents' mistakes while minimizing their own. So far, so good.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice start for an expansion team. Nice start for any team! I hope they can keep this up through out the season. It will be great for hockey and LV.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was in Vegas in the summer I picked myself up a Knights Tshirt - mostly because it said vegas on it LOL. I've never paid any attention to hockey. Fast forward to the start of this season and the home opener blew me away. I've watched all the games that are televised to the shock of my husband. He was away for work and texted me the morning after a game - well your boys are still winning LOL. Sure makes it fun. In fact, I'm so into it that I'd like to watch a game in Vegas. I found a game in late January where they play the team my husband cheers for. I thought it would be pretty funny for us to go and cheer against each other. I'm just trying to decide if attending a game will make up for the cold temperatures. I normally only go to Vegas May-Sept.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dammitt, I just checked and the Flyers are there on Valentine’s Day weekend and the room rates are outrageous.

The Flyers won the Stanley Cup in just their seventh season, so anything is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And... they won it back-to-back... and almost a 3rd straight year, losing in the finals in 76. Reggie Leach is a good friend of mine, the only non-goaltender to win the Conn Smythe trophy as a member of the losing team in the Stanley Cup finals. I don't think we'll see that happen again anytime soon.

13. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand the mascot either. As you mentioned there are plenty of other options that I think would have fit better to this Las Vegas team. But, I'm sure they have their reasons :)

14. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the name but hate the mascot. IT doesn't even fit in with the knights....

It does look like the love child of thing from fantastic 4 and the dragon from Excalube

15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about these guys:

upload_2017-10-26_10-0-43.jpeg

16. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I hated the Flyers (leafs boy), I still have my number 7 Jersey from that era - Billy Barber. They were a nasty bunch but, had some talent too. I liked Reggie and Rick MacLeish, Gary Doenhoffer, the Watsons and of course Bernie.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a season ticket during those years. We paid $250 for the ENTIRE season ticket. They bumped the price for the Playoffs to $8. 6th row of the upper level directly behind the Flyers first and third period attack zone. So many great games, so many heroes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for the mascot... quite a few mascots don't make much sense in relation to the team.

Harvey The Hound is the Calgary Flames mascot.
    Hunter (a lynx) is the Edmonton Oilers mascot (and a scary looking one too!)
    Louie (a polar bear for the St.Louis Blues
    Sparky The Dragon for the New York Islanders
    Spartacat for the Ottawa Senators
    Youppi! for the Montreal Canadiens

Some others may not make a lot of sense, like the Octopus for the Detroit Red Wings, but fits due to traditions. In Detroit they used to throw an octopus on the ice at the beginning of playoff games, and goals. They kind of had to stop it because it happened waaaaay too much and it could theoretically be a health and safety issue... seriously, how do you sneak an octopus into the arena?

As for the Golden Knights' record. Wow. I'm shocked. I looked at the team and thought that they would have a tough time reaching 10 wins by January 1. Here they are with 7 already and only 1 loss! It's crazy. Crazy fun. Vegas is quickly becoming everybody's second favorite team.

• Like Like x 1
  19. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    geez, that's low for an expansion team, obviously the books took notice of the generous team the league allowed to be assembled in Vegas

20. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't mess youppi!

The oilers mascot is the stuff of nightmares

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.