1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

USB "ports"--Planet Hollywood, or anywere else for that matter

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by fenway68, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the last few years, the rooms I have had, have had built-in USB ports so as to facilitate device charging in the rooms, along with more "available" AC outlets, often in the room desk.

Cromwell had them, Linq had them, in the rooms I was staying in, I think even DTG had them.

I am staying at Planet Ho' this trip (less than 24h!!), does anyone know if all rooms there have them, as I would not prefer to bring several charging plugs with me.

Wonder if we could put a FAQ together of common room amenities at various properties, by room type..would anyone find that helpful?

2. steelcity5044

steelcity5044 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If my memory is correct the rooms at PH (stayed in a Resort Room) have them at least on the end table that was in between 2 queen beds

• Like Like x 1
  3. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are built into a lot of the poker tables now, I wonder if other table games are doing the same (maybe not since phones can't be used during the table games, don't know)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The remodeled Valley rooms at Harrah's have usb ports along the side of the nightstand. I nearly missed seeing them. Very handy!
    diane

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard Binions had them at the Blackjack tables.

6. Farner

Farner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be mindful, if you have an unsecured device. There have been reports of malware through USB charging ports. Safer is to charge via outlet.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At Vegas hotels specifically? Or is this a more general warning?

With respect to OP's question, I suspect pretty much any room that's been renovated within the last 5 years or so (which includes every property they mentioned) will have them.

EDC
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had them in our room at the D in July.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our systems people are warning us not to use public ports such as this, and to always use a plug-in outlet type of charger. The charger plugs are really not that large, and you need to carry the cable anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four Queens had them at (some of?) their tables in May. I know 3 card poker specifically had them.

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where do you put the phones? I know many of the places won't let you place wallets, electronic devices including phones, small books, etc. on the tables; only money and drinks.

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lap or seat beside you.

13. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So. Incidentally I had the same concern re virus/malware etc when even charging on the port that delta has on there seats! I will have to research this.

Anyway my room at PH which seems recently renovated, a huge 2 queen room with a large bathroom including a tub, had many charging ports and plugs available.

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have anything to point to as confirmation of this of is it just rumor? I work in IT and this is the first I've heard of it. Mobiles devices behave a little differently than computers and aren't as widely compromised so I'm suspicious of such reports. Not that I think its impossible, I'd just be surprised if it had happened at some random non-sketchy usb port to a normal mobile device.

Just to be clear, I don't think its impossible and I would probably myself shy away from using a public usb port with an unknown backend just because of the potential risk, but I'd like to see if there are verified instances of what you describe.

15. Farner

Farner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just did a “google for proof didn’t you”? Ignoring the quality of either of those websites which I can’t address one way or another since I didn’t research it, the first article is about a proof of concept presented at blackhat by some researchers and the second is about thumb drives and not mobiles devices. So neither says anything about mobile devices being exploited in the wild by rogue USB ports.

17. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are worried/paranoid about hacker then you can buy 'power only' USB cables to use in public USB ports.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an excellent point that I didn't even think to throw out there! You can also test said cables by plugging them into your computer and seeing if your device shows up or is accessible the way it normally does.

19. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IT guy here. Look at the USB port that you would use to charge your phone. Is it in the wall? If so, then you don't have any real way of knowing what is connected on the other side. Is it in/on the desk, or a lamp, or a clock? Then you can look to see what is plugged into the desk, clock or lamp. Only power plugged into the desk/clock/lamp? You're safe. Network cable plugged into the desk? You're still probably safe, but that is where an issue may happen. The probability of your device not being safe? Very very low. Just like @Mitkraft, I wouldn't be concerned with it.

20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The little USB adapter is well...little. I have them in both of our bags. Trusting a hotel is an invitation to buying one for $18 at Walgreens, etc.

We woud never thing about traveling without them. Very handy in airports when flight is delayed, etc.

Just about any USB plug is interchangeable with all your devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.