1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To buy or not...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NYNYGirl, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been a yearly debate for at least the past few years with us.

I mean I would like a nice 21st century flat screen type television but as long as my 25" tubular is still working...why should I get rid of it.

Yeah the screen does occasionally turn green and then it shuts off but just turn it back on and it's fine. And lately when it is turned on it is distorted for a few seconds but then it's fine right after...

I guess unless a good black Friday deal or some other holiday shopping deal comes along then it's going to be with us another year or so...Anyone else have issues getting rid of old stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought an LCD tv and it sat in the box for over a year because the tv it was replacing was just fine. But if you are getting signs your tv is dying, you may as well start looking. You may not have as long as Thanksgiving to line up the replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are so many high quality, reasonable priced televisions out there nowadays. There is absolutely no need to suffer with one that's out of date, and having issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have my Amana radarange microwave that I bought in 1982. This dinosaur takes up a lot of counterspace, but refuses to die on me. It has a metal frame and is built like a tank. My children shake their heads every time they visit and see it in the kitchen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once you "Go FLAT" you'll Never Go Back!
    Dump that (CRT) Cathode Ray Tube TV Now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because that 25" tube model consumes much more power than a new TV. Unless you have:

1)Solar power and are getting a check back from the power company every month
    2)Like watching broadcast TV with a "shrunken picture"

A 25" CRT uses more power than any modern TV (except for plasma, which "no one" buys anymore)

IMHO, a new, widescreen TV is an easy choice.

It also depends on how much time you spend in front of the TV.

http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_lcdleddisplay.htm

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. A brand new window on the world. I resisted for a long time, too, and I used the same reasoning, nothing wrong with the tube.

My world view changed in an instant.

• Like Like x 3
  8. RibbonCat

RibbonCat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My old tube TV died in 2014 so I had no choice to get a new one. I didnt think I cared about big screen smart TV but it was really fun to get. With internet you can watch so much more on a new TV. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, etc. Its endless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck finding a place to dispose of the old one. No one around here will take them. Not Goodwill, not the recycling center. You are not supposed to just toss it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ripper

ripper High-Roller

Get a new one and go big. They are pretty darn cheap these days.

Little mans 21st birthday!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes because I heard divorce is expensive.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The HD picture will convince you in about 5 seconds, where I live I still see TV's sitting by the curb with a "free" sign by it, I laugh and think "I tried that 7 years ago, it sure aint going to work now".

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of our daughters has the same sentiment as you! But then she dosn't like to get rid of anything, lol.
    We were lucky when we finally got rid of ours, we were having carpeting replaced and asked the guy installing it to move it to the garage until we could get rid of it, unless he knew of someone who could use it, he said he'd love to have it, so it went to a good home!

Get the big new shiny one asap - you will love having it during the holiday season!

• Like Like x 1
  14. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't do w/out my flatscreen TV. My old tube one was working fine and has been gathering dust in a closet for many years. But picture quality on the tubes is awful and also it's difficult to stream on those.

15. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with others about "just do it", lol.............other than the picture quality, if you want to connect anything else to it, blue ray, dvd player, roku, android tv box, apple tv box, digital camera, even just a cable box, it is so easy to just use a single HDMI cable for your interconnects and not have a mess of component cables wrapped all around each other.
    Just think about this, how much did that TV cost to buy brand new, say $500? Even not counting the inflation since then, $500 would buy a pretty damn nice tv!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to be fine with my old tv. But now that I have a new, "smart" teevee, I love it! All my old dvds look new to me, the picture is so great!

I kind of wish I had saved some of my old teevees as people are making cool dioramas out of them now! [​IMG]

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The CRT Screen has lead in the glass which makes it hazardous waste. We recycled two TV's at Best Buy, but they discontinued the program some time ago. You can google "CRT Disposal" in your area for proper recycling. It's not environmentally correct to put these into the normal waste stream. Plus there is some scrap value in the electronics and the plastic case is polycarbonate which can be recycled.

Our latest flat screen is a 55" Sony 4K that we picked up last year around Christmas, so if you can hold off for another month or so, you might get a better deal. This is an android TV and although I love the picture, it's almost too high tech for me. I met my match.

• Like Like x 1
  18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hearing the same reasons that are posted here. The problem is that I won't be using it for roku, android, blue ray, 4G, etc. I basically use my tv to watch things on. I won't be connecting it to the internet because my signal isn't very strong. I don't see anything significant with quality because our tv channels are just standard. The other comments to go flat or HD picture or LED also are not big things for me. Some people even say that you need a bigger size because bigger is better, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm not very particular and just need something to watch my shows and some movies on.

But that said I did upgrade my 27" tv up to a 40" tv last year. My eyes are getting older so the bigger screen is very helpful for me to watch shows on. I live in a condo and sit about 7' or 8' from the tv so I don't need a 75" tv like some of my friends have, 40" works just fine for me. I purchased the bigger tv last year during black Friday, got an LG tv for only $149 so it was a good deal.

If my tv started acting up or turning color or the picture appears distorted I would consider upgrading to a little larger tv. Waiting for black Friday would be good since there are usually good bargains. Better to upgrade before the tv breaks and you will probably have to pay a higher amount than you would get during black Friday. The larger screen would be good because you wouldn't strain your eyes as much as with a smaller tv.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a decent one pretty cheap these days. Just make sure it has hookups for whatever you want to use, which considering you have a CRT probably isn't much.

I like to use crap until it breaks, because as long as it's holding up, all the newer shit just keeps getting cheaper.

I think the ~25 inch one I bought 3 or 4 years ago was only about $179, $200 was my line in the sand, I'd never pay more than that. I don't even have an HD cable box, just Standard Def and it's fine. One of the main reasons I finally gave in is because nothing's getting originated in 4:3 format any more. 4:3 was always a problem for watching movies, but now that everything (especially sports) is at least 16:9, it's just not viable.

It's better, but not a "holy crap how did I live without this?" thing for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also have an old 27-inch tube. We can't assemble ANYTHING and wouldn't be able to hook up the all the cable wires, DVD player, etc...so we're not buying one until we have to.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.