1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The mass shooting near Mandalay Bay

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by grosx2, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radiogeek

radiogeek Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dee Jay Silver, who performs on tour with Jason Aldean had a suite three doors down from the shooter. He and his wife were at the festival (he’d just gotten off stage) and his son was in their room with another family member. He said he didn’t know where his son was for a few hours. :(

From the local news station, WKRN here in Nashville: http://wkrn.com/2017/10/04/nashville-djs-son-was-just-rooms-away-from-las-vegas-shooter/

(I hope it’s okay that I posted the link. If not, I’ll be happy to remove it.)

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope I am not repeating earlier information. My comp room (not suite) is not on the radar so to speak to management. This guys room (ala Steve Wynn) does not need the dnd sign on the door for 12 hours. He wants his money downstairs in risk to justify the comps. So yeah, wtf buddy. You r here with a room and expenses, let's get busy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LA Times now reporting that Jose Campos, the MBay security guard was shot *before* the shots were fired at the concert goers. LA Times citing Sheriff Lombardo as the source for that.

4. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's confusing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave the house for 30 minutes and miss a press conference. :goofy: Finally found a video of it. Here are my notes:

LVMPD, FBI and ATF are still working around the clock. They expect to be on the scene at the concert venue and in the room for another week.

There is still no evidence of a second shooter.

They are still speaking with the girlfriend, brother and other family members of the shooter.

"We don't believe there was any one particular event in suspects life to key on."

They did find medications, but can't/won't comment further.

They do not yet have a complete comprehensive behavioral analysis of the suspect's mental health.

The suspect was in Vegas 200+ times and they cannot find evidence he ever met with anyone there. (I think he's referring to meeting with a co-conspirator here.)

They are revisiting the scenes at the suspect's homes in Mesquite and Reno.

Couple things that were new here:

- The security guard was shot in the hallway at 9:59pm, before the shooting at the concert.
    - The suspect arrived in Las Vegas on the 25th, but they do not believe he checked into that room until the 28th. They are still trying to confirm his actions between the 25th and 28th.
    - The suspect had personal protection equipment in the room.

They don't expect to hold another press conference until Friday 10/13.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The news about the security guard being shot before he started shooting is concerning. Why weren't police up there sooner, did he not report he had been shot immediately?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was really unclear. Lombardo seemed annoyed today. One of the people in the room made him mad right at the start and he wasn't super conversational after that, as he has been at previous pressers. Not sure if it's exhaustion at the process, or this particular person.

He did say that the officers learned of the security guard being shot when they met him in the hallway.

I'm afraid we ended up with more questions than answers today.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article177047656.html

9. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Sonya here, Lombardo seemed agitated which while certainty understandable, wasn't really helpful frankly. I think he spoke today out of obligation and not to really provide much in "updates" as promised save for the security guard being shot 6 minutes before the shooting at the Festival occurred, instead of during/after. With that, I think the narrative of the security guard being the one who stopped the shooting will probably cease to be a narrative since it's apparently not the reality of the situation- consequently, I think people calling him a hero may cease as well since he apparently wasn't a catalyst to stop the shooting. I wouldn't be surprise if some more amendments to the plot come Friday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly why people need to STFU, and not formulate a new opinion after every tidbit comes out.

I understand that this is cathartic for many, but it's time to take a breath, and get some rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m curious how/why the timeline changed TODAY...a week later.

And now if the security guy was shot at 6 mins before the shooter opened fire - what caused him to stop shooting at the concert venue? And why did it take police/SWAT 1.5(?) hours to get up there?

The LV Journal is also reporting the shooter checked into this suite on Sept 25, 3 days prior to their previous timeline. How is that just getting released today and why did they say 9/28 before?

Today’s information really throws a wrench in things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get that. But it’s also strange that the timeline of events is changing pretty drastically especially after they praised and praised the security guard for stopping the shooting.

As Sonya said, more questions than answers today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People are desperately tuning in to try to find more information but unfortunately there isn't much new info that can shed light. I think it's time for the sheriff to just send out news bulletins instead of holding press conferences unless some big information is found. To me these press conferences are a waste of time, news bulletins could accomplish the same thing.

The main problem is that they are unable to establish a real motive (other than the guy being nuts) as to why this guy decided to murder innocent people.

For me I just read the synopsis that Sonya gives, not worth watching the news because they keep trying to come up with reasons and having "expert" opinions but nobody has a clue what really made this guy kill people. I stopped watching the news channels by Friday because there wasn't any new information worth tuning in for.

Of course then you have the conspiracy people looking for the 2nd shooter. Or maybe (another conspiracy theory I heard) this was really an attack by ISIS but the cops don't want the public to know that so America can feel safer. kidding.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free speech.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more I think about this, the more I have to think the Sheriff misspoke or something today. There is almost no possible way the security guard was fired upon 6 minutes before the shooter opened fire on the venue. If 200 rounds were shot, 911 calls would come in immediately, right?

16. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ask yourself this:

If a guy is firing hundreds of rounds out a window, how can he be watching a monitor of the hallway?

When there is a plane crash, it can take a year or more until the findings are released.

This shooting seems to be more like Wheel of Fortune, where people try to solve the puzzle after every letter, rather than wait for the answer to reveal itself.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am officially agreeing with Rush. Mark this moment.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I missed it but if he got up there before the shooting then why did he go up there?

19. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They said a routine open door alarm/check.

20. fraygul

fraygul Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My random thought of the day today is that I hope he is as rich as everything is making him sound. The victims should be able to sue his estate, right? Though when you break that down to so many victims there may not be much there. But maybe it would offset some of the medical costs?
    The things that pop in your head when you are driving :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.