1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hmmm, what to make for dinner?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grilled steelhead trout---grilled boudain--- with Idahoan 4 cheese potatos,caesar salad, and pan seared sweet bell peppers:feedme:

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like deja vue. I swear there was a similar thread a while ago and I said I was going to make pig feet soup. Well, I made it again last night and I ate the left-overs tonight.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not tried a lot of corn out here, but what I have tried was very expensive and wouldn't fetch a dollar a dozen in Ohio.

We had a ball game to watch, so I did something easy: cockie-leekie (cock-a-leekie) with leftover chicken thighs and (instead of barley) local potatoes, which are very good indeed as potatoes go. The local leeks are very good, also.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze, any rockfish/stripers running in the Bay?

So back to the subject......what I made for dinner......I made a bee line to a local craft brewery and enjoyed a vanilla Porter and an IPA with some chicken wings with honey spice glaze.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, on Friday we always eat pizza (in the hot tub ;-) Tonight I'm making chicken in blue cheese sauce. Probably with roasted broccoli but maybe a garden salad - I have to get out and see what's actually alive in the garden today.

My goal is using as much food from our chest freezer as possible - if I don't make space, husband won't shoot a deer & fill the freezer with venison, so.....[apparently I'm a food hoarder - love to cook, there's only two of us, I cook too much....Then stick it in the freezer for leftovers. And I shop at Costco]

But husband has been out practicing with the crossbow so I have to get serious about clearing out food!! Most things are labeled, but I know we're going to have more than one "Hoya's Surprise" over the next couple weeks, where I defrost something unlabeled and - whatever it is - I prepare for dinner :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @HoyaHeel Venison is very good when seasoned properly not so much when improperly. But talk about a superfood! Packed with nutrients--especially iron and good cholesterol--so if you eat with kale salad you'll live long long time:feedme:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night was grilled salmon. Tonight will likely be pizza and wings.

8. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking of trying to make a Bacalao (sp?) fish dish this Discoverers Day Weekend. I saw an Andrew Zimmern's Delicious Destination episode. He was in Portugal and they made the salted cod dish grilled on an open fire with vegetables, potatoes, and olive oil.

9. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought one of those Air Fryer (use no oil) very easy to use I been making ; grilling & frying mostly chicken also some steak as well. Food has been coming out pretty good..

• Like Like x 1
  10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like beef very much but enjoy venison. Go figure. We've had some in the freezer for the past few years - either from my husband, my FIL, or a hunting friend of his. My MIL won't cook deer so if FIL goes hunting, he gives us his.... sometimes I make something they'll eat (like chili) and give some back....

Some years they hunt feral pigs too. Also good. Don't think they'll do that this year - I haven't heard of any plans.

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are out there but you need a boat.

12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm making Mexican Street Corn for the first time tonight. I finally found Cotija cheese and have been wanting to make this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Civilization comes to Toronto!!!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had roast chicken and baked potato. My drink of choice was Estrella Damm. That was after dinner, not with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of ethnic markets in Toronto but not in my small city. Found it in London Ontario, 1/2 hour away.

16. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I just got back from the market and couldn't find any bacalao (salted codfish). :grrr:

Oh well, I bought me some luau leaves (taro), cooked tako (octopus), arrow squid, and coconut milk.

I'm gonna make squid luau tonight. I also bought some lomi salmon and kalua pork.

Tonight I will gain 20 lbs.....:faint:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got an air fryer too. Still learning what's best to use it for, if you have any recipes or websites to point me to, I'd appreciate it.. TIA.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol I have no recipes I really don’t cook that’s why I bought it - I just throw some chicken breast with some seasoning and cooks in 15 mins along with some pasta Walla food/dinner is served lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's terrible. Went to the local today and they were 6 for a $. Last week 8. We put them on the grill after peeling back the shuck and putting olive oil butter salt pepper on them / replacing the shuck on indirect heat. Wow.
    But we had brisket tacos tonight. If you ever have any brisket left over chop it up and use instead of ground beef on tacos or enchiladas or chalupas. You won't be disappointed but rather wonder what the hell you've been doing up to that point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made fresh fried okra to go with Tilapia. Okra is fresh out if the garden. First time in eons I have made from scratch. It was great.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.