1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to prevent hangovers

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by jimo, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prevention - drink less, or not at all. Most of the "I'm still going to drink, but I don't wan't a hangover" advice is subjective, everyone's chemistry is different, and what works for you may not work for me and vice versa...or versa vice-a. Also, half the advice you get is going to be forgotten or ignored once the booze gets flowing. Now cures (also highly subjective imo) on the other hand, I've tried them all. I'll rank them for you, because I'm a nice fucking guy, and I got class.

1) Pedialyte - Or as I like to call it "Miracle Water." I am found of the "Cherry Punch." It has more potassium,more sodium, less carbs, and less calories than Gatorade. It doesn't leave me feeling as bloated as Gatorade either. I like it cold, and I'll slam about half the the bottle (15 oz) then sip the rest. I start feeling better shortly thereafter.

2) Exercise/dry sauna/spa - I know it sounds nuts, but if you can get out the door to the fitness center, do it. Its a tall order to get on an elliptical, or a treadmill, but that and a good 10-15 minutes in a sauna will work wonders. I usually do the pedialyte then hit the fitness room.

3) Hair of the dog - This happens most of the time when I've had a really late night; meaning coming in at 8 or 9 a.m. I come from a long line of insomniacs, that require little to no sleep, so even if I haven't slept in 24 hours - a 3 or 4 hour "party nap" as I like to call it is sufficient. That doesn't negate the fact that I may be hungover and experiencing all the dreaded symptoms; headache, dizziness, dehydration...In these situations when I see Vegas time is slipping away, it's time for a shot and usually a index finger size line of cocaine. Viola! Life is good and to the tables we go.

Hope this helps.

2. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drink Heineken Light. It's 3.3% alcohol, which is very low. I call it a beer spritzer, but the flavor grows on you. And it's a "cleaner" brew than American lights. I feel much better with this, the day after.

Bud Light and Coors Light are 4.2% alcohol in comparison. Something good like Blue Moon is 5.4% alcohol.

I love good beer myself, but these days I just get too wiped out too fast, too early, by drinking the higher octane stuff. If I'm dining out, I'll have a couple of Blue Moons or Stellas. But if I'm partying or sitting down to an extended run of VP, I'll stick to the Heinie Lights.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jock-o said a hangover Is the unpleasant but inevitable result of sobriety.

Pat Novak was played by Jack Webb pre-Dragnet and Jock-o was his drunken right hand man.

You have to read that 2 or 3 times but it is true.

Mr. Rogers once spent an entire episode on the word "moderation." Can you say it with me?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never stop drinking duhhhhhh :drunk:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES!!! I can drink a glass of wine or 4 and feel just fine the next day but if I'm around a smoker, i will have one or 2 & feel like absolute hell the next day!

But for me, Water & Ibuprofen before bed and pedialyte or Gatorade in the morning. If that hasn't helped, Pickle Juice!!!!!

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drinking mass quantities of bottom shelf booze like Nikolai, Crown Russe, and Popov vodka will hurt your noggin the next morning. So along with hydration before bed and replacing electrolytes, go with a better quality liquor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dtmk66

dtmk66 Welcome to Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just stay drunk until the end of your trip that way you only have one hangover to deal with. That's my motto :beer:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been there, tried that. Stayed up for 2 days straight. Drunk, High on weed and X.. It caught up eventually mid 2nd day as I was making my way to devils cantina for a friends bday.. Lets just say I had to leave cuz I couldn't keep anything down.

9. mgugs46

mgugs46 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of water while drinking

Pedialyte before bed with 2 ibuprofen

Pedialyte when you wake up with 2 ibuprofen

Or just don't have 20 drinks ;)

10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not practical on a 45 day trip.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got some packets of Drip Drop to try this trip...supposed to be the equivalent of taking an IV bag of fluids. I will report back after our first night in 2 weeks.

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read a good review of Drip Drop the other day...
    Hmmm...I'll be interested to hear how it worked for you.

13. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't drink sweet stuff!
    OMG I had the worst hangover of my life from mudslides.
    Gee..they taste just like milkshakes...but you will pay dearly the next day.:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Ever since that incident I drink whiskey and soda....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have literally been drunk thousands of time in my life so i am about as close as gets to a professional drinker.

you can try every hangover remedy in the world but the one thing that works is its just mind over matter.

regret will be a major part of your hangover and there really is no reason for it, the rason you feel regret is you have put up a wall into your true self and when drinking you let that wall down so they could see who you really are. This is actually a good thing. just lean into it.

For the physical stuff, just eat a decent breakfast and have some more drinks and carry on. The worst thing you can do is to sleep in, it only makes it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving that it's possible you might be drunk right now, C0usineddie?
    Awesome. :)

16. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fernet Branca, finish the night, and start the next day with a shot. Its considered a "restorative"; to some it tastes like cough syrup; but the herbal drink is something short of majical; If I rmemeber to finish, my hangoveris less; if I do wind up hung over, it works wonders to allow you t get started again.

that being said, everyone prior is 100% correct...water water water!! for Lv you may want to do 2 waters for every cocktail; and if you drink things with a higher ABV (like IPA's) the cumulative effect (read: you need to drink less than 1/hour see this: http://draftmag.com/science-session-abv-processing/) of the alcohol is worse.

17. luridludicloco

luridludicloco High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a big jackpot, that way living through a bad hangover will be pleasanter. :woohoo:

18. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree with the abstinence and/or moderation nonsense.

You asked a question and you gonna get the answer/suggestion(s) you seek.

LR.JPG
    1) Experimented with this for years. You can find it at Walgreens - CVS - Walmart (I recommend Walmart because the 90-count bottle is about $6 cheaper than the regular drug stores). Take two before you start drinking and take two every 2-3 hours you're on your binge. Take two before bed.

I had been taking this for, oh, a solid 13-14 years. During my annual physical exams, the doctors never found any legions or cysts caused by it's consumption, so it's safe.

It's not meant for hangover prevention, but we were experimenting way back when and it works.

Tri.JPG
    2) Started taking this over the last couple months. A friend in Colorado told me about it and I tried it out on a trip out there back in early June.

I haven't looked for it in stores. Just buy it on Amazon / Amazon Prime. It's about $12 for a fifteen pack.

I like it because you can really just focus on being an alcoholic and not worry about when you took two Liverite pills or have to pack the large bottle in your suitcase.

Take one packet and put half of it in a 16 ounce glass of ice water before bed. Take the other half in the same glass when you wake up.

This stuff has been hitting at a 1.000 clip to date.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  19. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im sure you could google what supplements to flood your body with to help with this, theres a reason why those i.v hangover companies are making a killing... What I found best for me is simply dont go to bed feeling like crap.....I'll end my night going for a good hour+ walk, then getting some breakfast. i useally pass out pretty good after that....Also when I know the night is coming to an end ill stop with the mixed drinks and just keep drinking soda..

20. mkcoroner

mkcoroner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...eye drops, eye drops, eye drops...keeps the balls moist :D and the headaches at bay...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.