1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Latest Ride Share Figures at McCarran

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Las Vegan Cajun, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The following is a summary of TNC operations at McCarran Airport for July 2017.

1. There were a total of 177,587 for TNC Pick-ups in July, an 85.7% increase from July 2016 (95,584)
    This is a 6.3% increase from last month, June 2017 (166,959)

2. There were a total of 236,915 for TNC Drop-offs in July, a 74.6% increase from July 2016 (135,662)
    This is a 5.9increase from last month, June 2017 (223,640)

3. The cumulative yearly total increased by 123.4% with 1,046,692 TNC Pick-ups compared to 468,275 for the same period in

The cumulative yearly total increased by 103.0% with 1,428,692 for TNC Drop-offs compared to 703,744 for the same period
    in 2016.

4. McCarran International Airport TNC Pick-up and Drop-off grand total for July 2017 totaled 414,502 trips.

5. For the whole year in 2016 TNC pick-ups at McCarran International totaled 1,033,771 trips and TNC drop-off totaled trips
    reached 1,527,011 trips.

6. July 2017 was the best month so far for TNC pick-ups and Drop offs totals for trips at McCarran airport.

2. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TNC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Transportation Network Company (uber, lyft, etc)
    bruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting. Are there similar taxi stats for comparison?

5. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably not since there's not enough time in the day to compile the numbers when you spend so much time long hauling thru the tunnel.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any ideas why the drop off #'s are so much higher than the pick ups?

7. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I used to take the shuttle to the hotel and a cab back. That would probably be an Uber now. Plus you have people who get a limo to the hotel and just Uber back.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speculation on my part, but Lyft and Uber paper the town with codes for new users, so I suspect them pick up more people trying them out during their trip then on the way home. That, and I find the pickup area for terminal 1 to be such a pain that I'm more likely to suck it up and take a cab on my way to the hotel.

9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a few reasons why I imagine the disparity exists between trips from and to the airport.

Travel from the airport via uber/lyft is a little more complicated than drop off since the walk to the pickup spot is usually longer than the taxi pickup from baggage, and not as obvious (you can see the taxistand from baggage in T3, not sure about the other terminals)

People tend to be anxious to start the vacation so the taxis may appear to be the fastest option.

Some airports still block Uber/lyft pickup so people may assume that the same is true in Vegas.

Maybe the locals are more prone to being picked up than dropped off?

I would expect over time to discrepancy to narrow a bit but I doubt it would ever be eliminated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have the data source, please? Not that I don't trust you, but you know - trust, then verify :) I'm a primary data source person....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect - answers my questions and savage810's ;-)

Taxicab Counts July 2017
    Completed: 8/2/17
    The following is a summary of the taxicab operations at McCarran Airport for July 2017.

1. There were a total of 269,856 taxis loaded in July, a 8.0% decrease from July 2016 (293,359). This is a 3.6% decrease from last month, June 2017 (279,976).

2. Of the above total, 169,250 were from Terminal 1; 91,662 were from Terminal 3; and 8,944 were from the MRACC.

3. The cumulative yearly total decreased by 9.0% with 2,099,135 taxis loaded compared to 2,307,596 for the same period in 2016.

13. CLE_Greg

CLE_Greg 100% Full Blown Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. We always have a car service pick us up and Uber back. It's so much more convenient to have someone waiting with a sign when you land, they are happy to stop by the liquor store for some room drink supplies, and catching an Uber to the airport is the easiest way back IMO.

14. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't find it that difficult, isn't it still across from the terminal, in the parking structure, on the third floor or something?

15. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it is on level 2M (Excalibur).

16. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are calling it that here at Boston Logan. the "TNC" pickup area

17. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here at McCarran, it's referred to as either the TNC or Ride Share pick up area. The airport doesn't use the brand name of any particular company to identify the pick up area. Just like the taxi pick up area is called just that, the taxi pick up area, not the Yellow Cab pick up area.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More drop offs? We take a limo when we arrive (comped). Though we can take a limo back, we find Uber is just as easy and cheaper. And in some cases, more timely.

19. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't fathom why anyone would take a taxi in Vegas now that Rideshare is available. I used Uber exclusively this trip including airport pick up and drop off at airport. Every car was very clean; every driver was extremely personable. One of the funniest driver's was one who struggled the most with english but had a very well developed sense of humour.

We were offered water twice. One driver even offered chocolates and gum.

I felt bad for our Uber driver when we arrived late Saturday night and we sat in traffic near Cosmo (our hotel). It was very busy Saturday night Labour Day weekend. Our fare didn't climb as it would in a taxi, but his tip sure did. He was so chill and friendly.

Now, there are idiot Uber drivers out there, like anywhere in Society. I haven't been in one of their cars but one night as our Uber driver merged into a left turn lane in a completely appropriate way, an Uber driver beside us, with people in his car, rolled down his window, shone a flashlight at our driver and cussed him out. He had done nothing wrong. I hope his people gave him a poor rating. They looked shocked.

20. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about McCarran but in Honolulu taxi and uber/lyft drivers have to pay a fee to pick up passengers at the airport. More revenue to the airport and state. Uber/Lyft drivers have a routine to pick up passengers "outside" the airport area so they don't have to pay the pickup fees but it is more of an inconvenience since you have to walk away from the general airport area. The security guards and other guards make random checks to make sure that the taxi and uber/lyft drivers are certified to pick up passengers at the airport.

I wonder how it works at McCarran since they probably charge taxi companies to pick up passengers at the airport. I'm surprised that they don't charge the same thing for uber/lyft drivers in vegas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.