1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My turn for "How would you play it?"

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by TriggerMN, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playing in a just-for-fun bar tourney tonight, but let's pretend we're playing for some money instead of a few free beers. 4K starting chips, 1st level is 25-50, we have played one orbit and the villain just won the previous pot by filling up on the river with J9 to beat a turned straight when he limped UTG+1. Villain has about 5500 chips, and raises UTG to 225. Two callers before me in the BB. I look down and have two red 3's. What should I do?

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    call and set mine. You're getting 4.2:1 to call, based on how I read your posting, and you're closing the action.

3. mykidsdad

mykidsdad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. TriggerMN

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I chose to call. Pot is 925. Flop is 5s-3s-2d. I am first to act and check. UTG bets 450. The two other callers fold and it's around to me. What should I do?

5. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I peg him for maybe a suited A5. I call and reevaluate on the turn.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call and then donk out a good sized bet if the turn is not a 4 or spade.

Raising is also fine. Calling and then checking a brick turn would be iffy, way too easy to just be giving any random A a free draw at an inside straight, or letting a hand like jacks pot control.

7. TriggerMN

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called the 450. Pot is now 1825. Turn is Qh. Villain leads out 775. I have 3325 behind. What should I do?

8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the flop I raise to $1100, not too big but more than a min raise. I meant to post this last night before I saw the actual action.

On the turn, as played, call and shove the river. Only 2 hands beat you, QQ and 55. 55 is less likely for him to have pre-flop than QQ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably would have bet after that flop, maybe something smallish compared to pot size but enough to weed out some draws and keep some decent made hands in who find that fishy.

I am not going anywhere based on how this is playing out. Folding a set is like burning money in my book ;) If you think he'll keep betting, call the turn. This is where the read on the villain will come into play.

10. TriggerMN

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I raised to 2000 and the villain called. Pot is now 5825 and I have 1325 behind. River is 5h. Should I check/fold, check/call, or jam?

11. gebruiker

gebruiker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of these choices: jam

12. mykidsdad

mykidsdad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would you even consider check fold? We lose only to 52, 53, 5q, 55 or qq. The first 3 seem very unlikely for utg raiser. Also probably true for 55. QQ possible but would he have just called your turn raise with that? But if we thought he had qq why raise on the turn? if we check planning to call he is probably checking back most of the hands we beat so, jam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jam. As mykidsdad pointed out, most hands that beats you are extremely unlikely or unlikely.

14. danny8235

danny8235 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hate this topic. If you have to ask how to play a hand you should NOT be playing for $$$. Go play on line for fun

15. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first few words of the original post clearly show its not for $$ but just looking for a WWYD(what would you do).

There are plenty of different scenarios on how to play low PP so not sure what your point is really.

It's called getting other people's opinions and that's what other posters have given, whether it's for fun or real money your post is a bit condescending.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your insight, Phil.

I would jam river, with other streets played as they have.

17. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Against an even average level opponent I'm not sure I understand why you'd c/r 2000 with 1325 behind on the turn. If you're going to c/r there you jam it. If he's going to call your 2000 bet then he's also going to call your jam, and you might induce someone to call you with a bluff catcher where you're really getting a lot more value. If you're behind, particularly if he has QQ, then you got coolered. It happens to the best.

I would have check-raised the flop on a wet board if you think the villain is loose/aggressive. If you think he's loose/passive I'm ok with waiting until the turn.

As played, If he had a straight (unlikely) or QQ/55/22 and you left 1325 behind on the turn, he would have 3b all-in. I'd jam river, I don't think there's any chance you're behind with his line. Q/5, 5/3 and 5/2 are never showing up.

18. TriggerMN

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I jammed. He called and flipped over QQ.

Now, where were possible mistakes made, looking back?

On the flop my plan was to check-raise to weed out the draws, but villain's raise got everyone else to fold, so I think my play to call was a good one.

The turn play brings up options. When he bets again, he is probably representing a big pocket pair or two high clubs, right? Should I be just calling here and taking the risk of him hitting a draw? What should I learn from his call of my raise?

After the river the only hand in his range that beats me is QQ, so I don't think I am laying my hand down. I guess I could hope for a check-check to salvage some chips, but way more often than not I am ahead at that point.

Did I miss anything that could have allowed me to lay this hand down at any point?

19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You started with 80 BB and lost in a situation where only 4 likely combos beat you.

It is just a cooler. If he can have QQ, he can have just about any other overpair pre turn.

The river 5 let you pass any flopped straights and cut down the combos ahead of you.

As I mentioned, I'd probably lead that turn, but that won't change the result.

You could have check raised the flop because he was the EP raiser, making him less likely to have part of the connected board and more likely to call with an overpair or flush draw. But he probably is not folding there, so again that does not save you.

And you could avoid the 80 BB set mine, but that is pretty nitty in the blind with 2 other callers.

20. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More aggression on the flop might have put him into a jam or fold decision(if you decided to C/R) but regardless of your decision, theres a good chance you are seeing that turn and shipping your stack. set over set is a bitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.