1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What do You Look for when You Get Sushi in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by iamsomedude, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like sushi, but the exorbitant prices and small portion sizes turned me off from getting sushi in Vegas, especially since I don't get comps. I remember going to the Mikado restaurant at the Mirage in the early 00's, and 2 pieces of mediocre tuna sushi cost 10 bucks, which left a sour taste in my mouth. My standards have also been unreasonably raised by the Taiko restaurant in Irvine, California, since while they might not have the finest sushi in the world, it's still fresh, the prices are reasonable (for a sushi bar), and the portion sizes are large (one of the Yelp reviews complained that the sushi was too large to fit into his/her mouth in one bite).

Recently, I decided to put my old biases aside and got the omakase set at Yui Edomae Sushi, which is essentially the sister restaurant of Kabuto, for those of you that have heard of it. While the sushi was very tasty, I'll just say that it's a good thing that I did my research and prepared myself beforehand by eating a big lunch, because if I had been eating there on an empty stomach without having an inkling about the quantity of food served, I would have been dumbfounded. The size of each piece of sushi was not much larger than the size of my thumb, and my stomach was about as full as my car's gas tank would be on $5 worth of gas in California, even with a couple bottles of beer.

So my question to those of you that get sushi in Vegas and pay for it completely out of pocket (and those that don't), is why? I would like to know.

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't compare about size. I would rather have a small bite of better quality. My current favs on the Strip are Mizumi and NOBU

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Sushi at GN has nice 1/2 price sushi from 3-6pm which makes it quite reasonable. Quality and price are right during Happy Hour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why do I get sushi in Las Vegas? I've had really great sushi at numerous spots in Las Vegas. I may have read your post incorrectly, but took from it that you possibly doubt the freshness of sushi in the desert, as opposed to that in southern California? The sheer volume of fresh seafood that arrives in Las Vegas several times daily to be served in reputable places has simply got to rival most anywhere in the world.

I'm not a big Nobu guy (when I'm paying)... the food is amazing, but I'm like you in my desire to have a decent meal at a cost less than my car-payment. I feel the same way about Yellowtail in Bellagio... LOVE the food and service, but Thank God for an expense account! I also have had several good meals at Red Sushi in the Golden Nugget, though to be fair, it's been a few years.

Currently, I enjoy a place on Paradise directly across the street from the Hard Rock. It's a local's joint called Kaison and the sushi is fresh and the place is always busy, which I prefer. I don't wanna be the only diner in a sushi joint. The product is expensive and perishable... I wanna eat where I know it's moving and being replenished.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in Vegas but since you're in So Cal... Theres a spot called AYCE Sushi in West Covina. Great fresh quality everytime delicious never had a complaint. And its AYCE.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    will it catch a big fish?

7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The editor of Las Vegas Advisor recommended Goyemon Sushi at Decatur and Hacienda (a few blocks south of the Airport). It is excellent and about $30 for all-u-can eat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jayde(sp) at M Resort has a excellent all you can eat sushi/sashimi for $24.95, found it to be very good and quite the bargain.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do I want in sushi ANYWHERE? Freshness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fresh! Fresh! Fresh! I guess anywhere not just in Vegas fish has to be fresh & clean... most sushi Resturant's we visit on strip they were pretty good...I do agree with you they are bit pricey but given how & way they serve it(vegas strip hotel lol) I can almost "understand" their pricing.

However, I had all you can eat sushi by China town (can't recall name sorry) but pricing was only $29 and it was fresh and good. You may want to google it. I remember it was in strip mall (two story tall) kinda hole in the wall type.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Osceola

Osceola Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kabuto is easily the best sushi that I've had in Vegas. Outstanding quality and the value blows away everything on the strip. I have not experienced the problem you had - I have not left Kabuto hungry, or anywhere close.

• Like Like x 2
  13. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only sought out a sushi-only place once. I went to Morimoto for a final meal with a wow factor. They had a reasonably priced chef's choice item ($50) so I just got that. It was great sushi, although I am no expert. I was hoping the restaurant itself would have been a bit quieter but it was quite loud. If I get an itch for mass amounts of sushi this trip, I might try Ra in Fashion Show Mall. I haven't researched it this year, but I recall good reviews and a good happy hour. I don't want to go broke eating sushi!

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ra absolutely is a reasonable place for sushi. I enjoyed their outdoor dining area, though that was pre-Fashion Show remodel... not sure if they still have that configuration?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Morimoto is one place I still haven't gone... I been meaning to darn it!!! In august trip I will defiantly will give a shot - meanwhile I went to Otoro at mirage and it was really good man how I wish I have some sushi right now. Lol

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want a sushi buffet I would recommend Makino's. They are located on Decatur. They used to be in the north premium mall but are since closed.

Unfortunately in most places in Hawaii and Ca, the prices for sushi are high and even higher at the "name" restaurants. At least at the sushi buffets you can eat to your heart's content.

And freshness is a high priority because you can get ill eating spoiled uncooked seafood.

When I went to Orlando 10 years ago I was astounded when I visited the buffet sushi places, my stomach just turned when I saw the food and wondered how long the uncooked seafood was out on the buffet.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all know the adage: If your fish place smells like fish, go somewhere else.

Man, Makino was a staple for us long long ago.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FirstBase

FirstBase Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I look for creativity on the menu. That's why I love Yellowtail at Bellagio so much, lots of creative variety.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for Jayde Fusion at the M resort. Sushi buffet made to order for $25. Good quality fish, but selection is limited. Choose from 10 or so rolls and 10 nigiri pieces. Can't beat that!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind paying more for quality sushi. That being the case if you serve that fake ass crab meat then you're not a real sushi restaurant. What's next, fake tuna, salmon? Ok, my rant is over

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.