1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's the pool at Stratosphere like?

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by notfromconcentrate, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Despite being a devout Fremont Street visitor, I've just run into a KILLER package deal to stay at the Stratosphere in August (as in, under $400 USD for round-trip flights from Toronto, and four nights at Strat, with a $20 resort credit), and I am seriously tempted to take it.

I've stayed at Stratosphere before in the winter, and wasn't terribly impressed with it. Mostly to do with the location. It was a bit of a trek getting to the strip/Fremont. But not the end of the world.

Since I'll be going in August, my #1 concern is the pool. I'm aware that they have a pool, I'm aware that it's on a rooftop, and I'm aware that it's something they've renovated/revised/updated to contain those obligatory pops of colour and other various elements to create a "party" vibe.

However, I'm not seeing/hearing a lot of people talking about the pool at the Stratosphere... so I thought I'd ask you guys what you know about it, if anything.

I'm planning on spending at least two hours per day by the pool just relaxing, and maybe dipping into the water for 10-15 or so minutes at a time. Nothing really special.

I'm just curious as to whether there is anything I should particularly know about when it comes to the pool at Stratosphere. For instance, poor sunlight, lousy music, poor hours, unfavourable positioning for getting wind blown at you. I don't know.

I guess I can simplify my query by asking "is there any good reason not to stay at the Stratosphere if I want to hang out at the pool for a few hours per day?". Any insights are much appreciated. TIA!

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LOCALGAMBLER77

LOCALGAMBLER77 Local Las Vegan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,
    There are two pools at the Stratosphere: one is on something like the 4th floor and the other is at the top of the hotel. The lower one is not so great--very slab like and beating sun hot. The one on the roof is nicer and I believe (could be wrong), adults only and nicer. There are beverages and food at both.

3. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed there a few times many years ago, so I am sure much has changed. at the time, it must have been the one on the 4th floor. nice enough, big enough, good for sun worshiping. approximately 35 miles from my hotel room it seemed, but I like walking.
    maybe someone could post some recent photos.

4. nfajgmbr03

nfajgmbr03 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spent time at the adults-only pool. Tons of bikini tops decorated. Many women went topless. Unfortunately, it was bad timing as nobody went topless during my stay. Moreover, they had just drained out the pool that morning, so when we came at night, it was flipping FREEZING cold. Which would have made for a great show if women did indeed go topless (just my opinion).

Overall, though, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I enjoyed my time at the pool (despite it being FREEZING cold). I assume the pool is normally 87 degrees or whatever, and that it was just a new body of water.

Gorgeous views of Las Vegas at night time. Not high enough, unfortunately, but you get to appreciate the view.

Great environment. Very low key and chill. Drinks were reasonably priced for it being a Vegas pool area.

I would check it out again, that's for sure.

6. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was my first thought... ;)

That's the positive reassurance I needed! I ended up booking Plaza instead (which is where I wanted to stay all along, Strat was just the next best option before the prices went down). But in this thread, and particularly from your firsthand accounts, I've got the confidence that Strat will be in the "okay zone" for my next summer trip down.

Hopefully it'll be a bit chilly, and the bikini tops suddenly get lost, that time.

7. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas is a betting town, and I'd bet on a wild weekend night, they will indeed get lost.

I think we went in the middle of the week, which might be why they drained the pool and refilled it - for the weekend.

FYI, I can't recall if I had to pay to get in. Part of me wants to say yes, part of me wants to say no. I had quite a few beers at that point. So be on the lookout for that. If I had to pay, it was fairly inexpensive. Maybe 10 bucks or so.

8. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even as a hotel guest?

9. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No clue. I seem to recall my friend showing them the room key and pointing to the 3 of us with him. I did have to show my ID. Perhaps someone else here can answer this question. Sorry, buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.