1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Update on Cal

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by eaglejohn, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be a little harder to get rooms at Cal. til September. East wing is shut down for 2 months for rehab. Unlike west wing where they did 1 floor at a time starting at lowest floor, east wing will start at top and is closed because of plumbing issues and I heard asbestos removal.
    Stayed in suite. Good job on new rooms. 60 inch tv. Regular rooms have a 55".
    SDX bus stop going to strip is closed due to fencing around sidewalk and 18 Fremont. Bus stop from strip is open at side of Cal.
    No lines at market street café, I guess because of 200+ rooms closed at east tower, or slower before 4th. Left Sunday July 2, Prime rib is still great

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up. I realized after seeing your post and changing our reservation from Suncoast, I never told our host we wanted a West Tower suite at Cal for August. Just sent an email.

3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time we would do a regular room if closer to elevator. Room is nice but just a large room and a long walk to elevator. At least our suite was

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it is a bit of walk to the suites, but nothing like being on the Strip.

5. Tumpster

Tumpster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fiancee and I stayed at Cal 7/2-7/4, we've stayed there many times, but this was our first since the remodel. WOW, what a fantastic experience, everything was wonderful, if we can we'll book the Cal every time. Got MSS next month but from there out might just have to be the Cal every stay. Unless someone (4Q, MSS, Fremont, El Cortez) has a much better nightly rate. Big kudos to the folks there for the upgrades and improvements, the rooms felt better and looked nicer than the "remodel" at 4Q.

I also, really really dug the new sports book.

6. djslots

djslots Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really diggin all the good things I have been hearing about the Cal, since we'll be staying there for the first time in Sept, Host has me down for one of the renovated rooms as well.

7. Jaydog98

Jaydog98 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can I anyone post any pictures of the new remodeled rooms? That would be nice. ;)

8. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have posted this before from youtube. Since you ask.
    Only thing I didn't like is the picture over the toilet. Made it hard to use 1 hand to lean against the wall while peeing after several drinks LOL

• Like Like x 3
  9. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still kicking myself for not booking my rooms at the CAL when I made my air reservations. When I tried booking mid May, several of the days we needed were already sold out. Luckily, my son was on top of things and booked his room at the CAL early. Maybe he will let me see his newly renovated room. I keep hearing how beautiful the rooms are......next year booking early!

10. LindaS

LindaS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked mine for February today! The only thing I noticed while booking is they don't ask for smoking preference and I will not take a smoking room.Shouls I call and say I want a remolded and non smoking room ?

11. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By Feb all rooms should be remodeled in both towers. East tower should be done by fall. There are only a couple floors for smoking so you shouldn't worry about getting a smoking room.

12. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The updated rooms do look good on the video. I'm looking forward to checking it out over labor day.

13. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

eaglejohns, last time we stayed downtown was at the 4Qs and that was about 17 years ago. We have been staying at The Orleans and other places.
    When looking at the size of rooms sq ft, the Cals rooms are very small compared to MSS, Fremont or Orleans.
    We like coffee pots and room safes like at the Orleans. Looking at your video of a suite at Cal, it looked big enough, but a suite.
    We have some comped rooms through Boyd. Premium looks better than deluxe. We had comped premium rooms at Orleans so
    maybe that would make us higher rated at the Cal.
    In your and others opinion, would 2 queen beds deluxe or premium be comfortable for 3 people?

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

No, not true. Fremont has the smallest rooms of all the Boyd downtown hotels (of course it depends on which wing you are staying in but the Fremont rooms facing binions are small). The east tower rooms at the Cal aren't very big either (smaller than the west tower) but the west tower rooms at the Cal are comparable to the rooms at MSS (IMHO). The only difference is that the room size of the west tower is taken up with a more "full sized" bathroom while at MSS there are 2 areas for the bathroom, 1 room with the tub/shower and toilet and the other with the vanity and closet. At the Cal the west tower bathroom is complete, containing the shower, toilet and vanity all in one room so it does take up more space than the MSS bathroom.

15. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely not a suite. We stayed in a suite and it is much bigger.
    Agree with Cal and MSS similar SF. Fremont room is much smaller

16. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

Will see what they give us in Oct. Maybe our play at Orleans will mean something at Cal. Hate a small room of 2 queens.
    If Palms comes up with something better, we'll see. Will ask you questions later.
    Thanks makikiboy, eaglejohn You seem to know about downtown.

17. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this post. Was curious why the Cal was sold out for my dates in the next couple weeks.

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify (although it may change in the future). At the Cal the "deluxe" rooms are the rooms in the East Tower that haven't been upgraded yet. The "premium" rooms are the West Tower rooms that have been upgraded. This may change in the future as someone mentioned that they closed off the entire East Tower to renovate all the rooms (which is why there aren't as many rooms available right now or in the immediate future). After renovations are completed I am not sure if there will be a distinction between "deluxe" or "premium" rooms as all rooms may just be premium. The Cal does have suites but they aren't available on their web site, I think you have to go through a host or call their reservations number.

Some of the East tower rooms are much smaller than the west tower rooms so even after renovations they may still be "deluxe" rooms(?). Not sure what the distinction between deluxe and premium rooms will be, if any.

It's been over 10 years but I thought the rooms at the 4 queens weren't much different in size than the rooms at the Cal or MSS (forget which tower but I was in the newer tower). The rooms were definitely larger than the standard rooms at the Fremont.

The rooms at the Orleans are bigger than the downtown Boyd hotels IMHO so if room size is important you should probably stay at the Orleans. The Orleans building is newer than the ones at the Cal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.