1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Boston tourist info needed

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have Companion status in 2018 on SWA. We try to only fly non-stop and one of the many places they go non-stop is Boston. We've never stayed there.

Thinking May or June and catch a game at Fenway, plus normal tourist stuff, but no rental car. So, where would you suggest we stay and what to do without a car?

Option #2 is something we did about 4 years ago. We flew into Boston and then caught a bus to Portland Maine and spent 4 days there. I could use me some more lobster! But, I think I would like to see Boston.

After what happened to my brother in Cancun, I think any trip we take will be in the USA. No foreign travel in my future. But, I want to take advantage of Companion Status and fly at least once a month in 2018.

2. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boston is a great tourist town. Plenty to see and do in 4 days. I don't think you'll need more time. Do NOT rent a car! Its small enough to walk just abt everywhere and the T is easy enough to use for longer jaunts like to Fenway. I would recommend staying somewhere around the government center T stop. Very central. I'll stay downtown with the wife occasionally and we love the Omni Parker House. Great hotel, fancy restaurant, central location.
    Things to do:
    Fenway: You have to go see a game. If you're flush sit on the Green Monster. You're on top of the game. Just incredible. The bleachers aren't bad either, bc everything will be in front of you.
    North End: Old Italian section of town. Go to eat, especially dinner. Pizzeria Regina is great for Pizza.
    Faneuil Hall: Go for lunch. Get on the Freedom Trail and walk for a while.
    Get out on the water: Ton of boats for sightseeing, fishing, whale watching.

3. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boston is very walkable, but I would suggest a car if you wanted to do outside historical areas---Lexington and concord, Plymouth...those really are not to be missed

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the hotel commonwealth might fit your needs... they have an affiliation with the sox and offer packages...
    http://www.hotelcommonwealth.com/

plenty of good lobster in bahstun.

uss constitution
    faniel hall ..eat at durgin park
    clam chowdah at union oyster house
    freedom trail
    old north church
    sam adams brewery

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the input! Damn, I thought downtown Seattle hotels were expensive. I just picked a random Fri-Tue stay in August 2017 and the Omni is over $400 per night. I am slowly getting used to these prices, but after everything is comped in Vegas, I still do a double take. Downtown Seattle was $300 a night.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, one of these days maybe you'll get to Atlantic City......fly to Philly and rent a car, it's about 60 miles away. You can get your game on and the weather in June should be nice. You can get Lobster too, plenty of good eats down the shore.

Been to Boston a few times for a trade show, I never stayed downtown or in the historic area. Stayed in Dorchester, Revere, and Somerville areas as I drove up. It would recommend using Uber or Lyft to get around. If you think hotels are expensive, just wait till you pay to park. There are also some Airbnb rentals in Boston that look nice and I almost pulled the trigger, but I didn't want to deal with parking so getting a hotel on the outskirts worked better for me.

Not to be missed is the Harpoon Brewery. And check out the Barracuda Tavern for $.50 oysters on Sunday Night.

If you go to Boston, maybe spend a couple days out on the Cape or Martha's Vineyard. Might be better in September, weather is warmer and kids are back in school.

7. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walk the Freedom Trail....get a brochure at the info booth at Boston Common. Eat at Ye Olde Union Oyster House...oldest restaurant in USA...catch a game at Fenway Park...take a tour of Boston using a duckboat..enjoy lobster, Boston baked beans and Boston cream pie...the best and freshest seafood might be the No Name restaurant on Atlantic Ave. So much history...

8. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can stay cheaper by getting a hotel/motel just outside Boston..for example Braintree and then take the T to get downtown

9. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've lived in the suburbs of Boston for over ten years and I still feel like a tourist because there's so much to see and do here. Check out rooms by the airport or just outside of town, which aren't ideally located but may be considerably less expensive than staying in town, and take the T in. In the spring there's always so much going on. I could recommend the tourist sites but you'll want to see what's happening when you're there -- for example Memorial day weekend every year is the Boston Calling music festival. Games at Fenway are a lot of fun, and there are always concerts and other cultural events going on.

10. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Union Oyster House has great seafood and a lot of history.
    Legal Seafood has fantastic lobster dishes and other types of fresh seafood.
    You might enjoy the Boston Aquarium, Faneuil Hall (lots to see and great places to eat) and the Science Museum too.
    Oh, and the Boston Duck Boat Tours. They're very popular.

11. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the Intercontinental earlier this year (mid February). Beautiful hotel - our room - just a king room - was seriously on par with nicer Vegas suites. Solid hotel.

We drove from Buffalo NY - parking is expensive - $50 / night for parking in their ramp I think? They charge you to take out the car so we either walked, caught the shuttle to the convention center for our event or took Lyft / Uber. We didn't do much - between being at the conference all day, then dinner or meeting with clients at night, we had 1 night to go exploring. Took a Lyft to Faneuil Hall Marketplace i think (where ever the samuel adams statue is) - walked around a bit, did a bit of shopping and we were done for the night.

Beautiful city - lots of construction around the convention center when we were there (shuttle took a crazy detour just to get there) but would definitely plan a trip for the summer if we weren't planning something else.

12. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the Embassy suites by the airport. Free shuttle to and from airport and to subway station near by.

For red Sox game you can do a tour, even on game days, I recommend that, you can make a whole day there.

This is good guide for seating there.

http://www.bestbaseballseats.com/bostonredsox.html#value

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.