1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Woo Hoo-SWA Companion pass for all of 2018

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had companion status for 2017, but I applied for another SWA charge card in June. I got the card, charged the $2,000 (it's 3 months to charge $2,000, but I did it in one) and with the points I already had, I just received notice we now have companion for all of 2018. The card had a one year fee of $99. I love Southwest! $12.50 for my wife to fly everywhere we travel. I guess we are going to have to travel even more in 2018.

We have 5 more Vegas trips this year and already did Dallas, Phoenix, LAS & Seattle.

As long as we are talking about SWA, on our flight yesterday from Seattle to Milwaukee, the gate attendant kept announcing that only roller bags were allowed in the overhead bins. Every other type of bag had to go under the seat. It made no difference to us, but I have never heard that before and we fly SW 8-10 times a year.

• Like Like x 2
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on the Companion Pass Joe! Since I retired in May, I'm going to struggle to retain A-List Preferred level, so am probably going to do the credit-card to protect that.

While that's a "unique" announcement, I've noticed they're cracking down lately on the personal bags, etc. that folks try to stick up there to preserve leg room. The later-boarding passengers, of course, get screwed out of bin space when the early and middle groups fill the overheads. Fortunately, I'm always up on the "front rows!"

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you have to reach 110,000 in the current year, and the card was probably a 60,000 bonus? So you spent or earned almost 50,000 points/miles this year already?

Cool!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we charge everything and anything. We just spent 5 days in Seattle and I spent $4 in cash. Everything else was on SWA Visa.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did EB and got A20 & 21. There were 2 people in the A1-15 group. They said there were 10 open seats (not like a Vegas flight) but we didn't want to deal with trying to sit aisle and window and hope, so we just found a person of reasonable size sitting on the aisle, and took middle and window. Anyway, after the door closed, the guy on our aisle seat moved across the aisle to where only one person was sitting in the window seat.

We got SWA First Class! Two people in row 4!!!

One other thing...we had 3 drinks on the flight home and the FA never collected for any of them. :beer:

• Like Like x 2
  6. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

Good work! Okay, now that you have hit that card up, you need to get another that will give you 50,000 miles after a few thousand in spend. Then wash, repeat and do it again. We built up over 500,000 miles in a year or so doing that. Made for some nice trips. Gonna wait until year end and try to hit companion pass in 1st quarter of next year. Just finished getting 75,000 with AMEX.

7. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    way to go Joe! it sounds like you will be away almost as much as you are home. enjoy!

8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, Well Done!

9. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can only do a SW card every 2 years from last bonus, per card (3 of them). For those that don't know, if wife gets card it does not count with yours for CP.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please clarify what you are saying. Mainly the two years. Of course a card in one persons name does not count for another person.

11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He means you have to have a gap between when you get the first bonus, cancel the card, and then sign up again to get the bonus.

It's a credit card bonus churning thing.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, there are four cards. I created a phony business name, applied for a TIN number. Once I got the TIN, I applied for a SWA Business Card and got another 50,000 miles.

BTW, my business is LV Consulting. :D

13. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to be 4 cards. I am only aware of 3 (I have all 3) 2 regular ($69 and $99) and 1 business $99.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Premier, Premier Business and Plus. I thought there was another entry level card. Did they do away with that one?

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe: just to keep the lurkers on the up and up I will ask you for some vp / bar service advice and provide you with a Lincoln upon our next trip crossover. You said you set up a fake business. I think not. Although I will expect a receipt.
    Congrats on a second year of minimal expense in having the missus tag along. Only in America.

16. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the CP until the end of 2018-----best deal in all of travel hacking!
    Wife and I alternate getting the cards every 2 years so we get by the 24 month bonus thing.
    Remember you can earn points toward CP with hotel stays, we had some 6,000 pointers come up through Rocketmiles for $125 per night stays.
    Also the points for referrals, grab a friend and get them started towards CP also

17. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats Joe on the pass. I just hit my spend for the companion pass next year so I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze a couple more trips in this year.

Mark

18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep meaning to do the companion pass thing with two SW cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.