1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to GN from airport

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by broncobilly, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broncobilly

broncobilly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure this has been asked and if so i apologize. I just couldn't find it. So my plane arrives on the 17th at 10:30am in vegas ( hopefully I'll have a drink in my hand by 11:30). Is their any shuttles or buses that go from the airport to fremont street? Or do i need to cab it? Thanks

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX bus runs about hourly. $2 cash each way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Yes, and I wouldn't.

There are several shuttle services that runs from the airport to different parts of town. Usually about $10 one-way and could take awhile to fill up a van/bus to do a downtown run. From there, there's no guarantee your stop will be first. Expect an hour or so travel time.

Bus, see tringlomane's post above.

Cab, probably going to run you $30-$40 one way. One of quicker ways to get downtown.

My pick? Uber or Lyft. About the same amount of time as a cab, but about 1/2 the cost.

4. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GN has a shuttle of their own that will transport registered guests to/from McCarran.
    From their FAQ page on the GN website:

Do you offer shuttle transportation to and from the airport?

Yes actually, we have partnered with Airline Shuttle (AS) to provide our guests with an exclusive non-stop direct shuttle service to and from McCarran Airport. All guests arriving at McCarran Airport Terminal 1 will exit Door 8 (eight) from baggage claim and Terminal 3 will exit Door 51 (fifty-one) from baggage claim. Roundtrip from McCarran or GNLV is $18.00. One way from McCarran is $9.00 + $1.00 airport fee = $10.00. Our bell desk can also set up a shuttle for your return trip to the airport, but they do need a 24 hour notification. Book your Airline Shuttle. There are also taxi cabs that can drop you off at the front doors of the Golden Nugget. Taxi rates vary but on average cost approximately $40 for up to 4 people.

I almost always stay downtown, and I use the WAX most trips... sometimes Uber/Lyft...never take cabs anymore.

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. I use the WAX just to get to MGM, but often there are many tourists headed downtown, and many have said they will never take any other mode of transport to get downtown again. Two dollars, and sometimes an entertaining ride.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  7. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They'll pick you up, no charge, depending on level of play. Otherwise, as pointed out above, they'll shuttle you for whatever the listed price on their website is.

8. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheapest & slowest: WAX bus ($2) or shuttle ($8-10)--I have done shuttle 2x. Never again. Waited 30 min. for shuttle to fill then I managed to get the luck to be last dropped off last BOTH times (once DT, once Strip)--45-60 min. on the shuttle.
    Fastest--Lyft/Uber/taxi--but as said, taxi will run you double over Lyft/Uber ($40 vs. $20)
    We do nothing but Lyft in Vegas these days.

9. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX is only slow if you have to wait a long time for it at the airport. It only takes around half an hour from the airport to downtown since it makes very few stops. The biggest variable is traffic on the freeway. If we are arriving or leaving during its operating hours its what we always use to/from downtown.

If you use Lyft or Uber you have to walk over to the parking garage and up to the level where they pick up. Then you wait your turn. We've tried that twice and there were so many people ahead of us we just walked back down and waited for the WAX.

10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always booked my own Lyft or Uber. The app tells you which car is yours. No waiting for your turn.

Did you actually book a ride through the app? If not, you're out of luck.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you miss the WAX and dont want to wait an hour, hop on the 108 going north, it'll drop you at the bonneville transit center which is about 5 or 6 blocks from the nugget, not a bad walk if you're able.

12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time I used a cab in Vegas was 2016 and was the airport to The Cal... cost $46...use uber or take the bus

13. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All in on the WAX! Check the schedule before you go so you know how long you might have to wait. Truly, the ride is a comfortable 25-30 minutes and it drops you off at Walgreens on 4th & Fremont. If it is to long in between pickups, definitely do Lyft/Uber as others have said. No shuttle, no cab.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  14. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you don't wait your turn--you look for the car that you ordered on the app. Never waited more than a couple minutes.

15. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lyft or Uber to avoid those long hauling taxi drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  16. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an FYI - the Nugget shuttle is "exclusive", "direct" and "non-stop".
    I don't think the wait would be too much before departing...and once you do, you're there just as fast as any cab, Uber or Lyft ride would be.

As for using shuttles in general? The ones that depart with multiple stops? I'm with you 100%. Never again.
    But if I were staying at the Nugget, I might be inclined to use theirs.

Annual Spring Trip!
  17. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wasn't that we didn't call, it's just that the line of people waiting for their Lyft/Uber was long, so it was like waiting in a long taxi line. There's a designated area for them to pull up. Maybe you are just supposed to scrum like an airplane boarding line until you spot yours, but it looked like a queuing situation so we cancelled.

18. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We aren't bus riders normally but I messed up a car reservation one year and talked my husband into trying the WAX. It would have been perfect - except we got on the wrong bus! We made it but I thought my husband was gonna have a heart attack. Lol. We laugh about it now but it was later in the evening and a bit scary if not used to public transportation. We actually road the WAX the next day to pick up the rental and it was almost pleasant. Plenty of room for a bag and very few stops. Well worth $2 and 10 times faster than the one time we took a shuttle.

19. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mark there's no queue but rather how fast your driver can get there..another reason I love ride share is the quality/comfort of vehicle is light years ahead of a taxi not to mention you rarely get a nut job with a bad attitude like I've had with Vegas' finest long haulers

20. Funstuie

Funstuie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only way there is a Q is if for some reason all the people ordered and their car was in a Q. You order a car and get in when it arrives, regardless if there is someone in front of you. The driver can only take the people who ordered them so you would not have been Q jumping.

Personally I am at a stage in my life where I don't do public transport unless absolutely necessary. So for $24 (lyft plus tip) I would much rather just order a car and get there in comfort.

If you want to save money get WAX, if you want convienence go with ride apps like lyft and uber. Or go all money bags and order a limo/town car.

I'm all for being frugal but after getting off a flight there is no way I am getting in line waiting for a bus and then having to walk to a hotel. Build the cost of travel to and from the airport info your budget. Or don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.