1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Time Share... DO NOT DO IT!

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Rollvadice, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcbeamer

rcbeamer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A "No thanks, I hate pushy salespeople" from me turns 'em around real quick.

2. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get approached all the time. I just say "no thanks" and never break stride. It works well and they never bother me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Legal Reasons?

Unless you are in the middle of some legal action, there is no reason not to mention them - assuming you are stating what happened.

Why not help others and share the whole story.

4. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I think OP should tell people at least which time share team it is.

5. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always think, if someone has to push a product so desperately then the product is probably crap. Same thing applies to several packaged goods that are heavily advertised everywhere.

6. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I own at Hilton Grand Vacations behind Flamingo. Very very happy with it. Paid $13k and $1k maintenance charges a year gets me five weeks in a studio. There is a $59 booking fee, no resort fees, free wifi and a great pool with no lines or having to get up early for a sunbed. Great place. However I bought it on the internet for a third the price they charge. I often go along to the sales pitch where they TRY to get me to upgrade and get $100 CET food vouchers each time. Not too bad for an hour and a half of my time. I get free rooms in hotels but still prefer to stay here.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I've found interesting is estimating the promotional cost per conversion, or actual sale. It has to be into five figures!

8. Hurricane

Hurricane Eat, drink, be merry and roll points

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You learn from your mistakes I guess but how DID YOU NOT REALIZE THEY WERE PULLING ONE OVER ON YOUR WITH THAT SHITTY FREE SLOT PLAY FROM THE ONE PLACE NOTORIOUS FOR BULLSHIT FREE SLOT PLAY?

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    is this a trade-able property apart of a network? In other words, can you use some of your weeks at other properties or is it all at this property??

12. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can use the points with RCI or with other HGVC properties. Just never have so not entirely sure how it works. It's also part of Hilton Honors. It's definitely been one of my better monetary decisions in life.

13. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will weigh in a little bit. Mother/Father-in-law have the HGVC timeshare. Because of them, they have allowed us to stay at the Flamingo Hilton GV, in Breckenridge (don't remember the name) and MarBrisa GV (Carlsbad, CA - LegoLand). They have also been, and are going to, Hawaii and have had other in-laws at the Elara GV in LV (I can't wait to get to that one, the pool looks fabulous!) Can't really answer the particulars, but I know they use their points for the stays.

14. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was broke and on my first vacation in Florida, my wife and I attended all kinds of timeshare presentations. They ended up being worth several nights accommodations, Disney Park tickets, free dinners -- it was well worth it for 2-3 hours of our time.

With what they're pushing now in LV (discounted show tickets and limited free play) and the fact that I'm only there for a couple days, I don't feel the same about Vegas time share pitches.

15. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. All of this.

Have you guys ever calculated what your time in Vegas is actually worth? If I took just airfare, hotel and parking at the airport, my last trip cost me $30 per woken hour and that's before I even open my wallet to eat, drink, gamble or otherwise entertain myself. Nevermind the intangibles like how rare and precious vacation time is in the first place for most people.

You be gotta be nuts to waste even a minute on timeshare people! :eek:

They could be holding a crisp hundred dollar bill out or three and I still wouldn't even slow my roll past them. :nono:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fischer

fischer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We own at HGVC at the Flamingo, bought resale (Cheap Cheap) LOVE IT! Every once in a while we will do an "Owners update" which is the exact same thing as a first timer coming off the street, and feel just as dirty as if we were not owners. They still treat you like dirt, it's awful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. LilyJDragonfly

LilyJDragonfly Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally, we avoid these entirely. But The Dog and I did one based out of The Flamingo over Christmas break - the kid who signed us up for the presentation was so cool and so motivated, (he told us he got a commission if we just showed up in the morning even though he wasn't doing the presentation), I figured what the hell after we told him we only come to Vegas to gamble and we only wanted gambling cash. We got $200 in Reel Rewards at The Flamingo for any machine plus tickets for that wheel ride thing at The Linq and something else but I forgot what it was.

The property was nice enough but we're more freestyle in travel plans, plus we get room comps so no need to pay for a timeshare. The salesguy was floored when I told him we were comped that week (it was Christmas week) and he said, "No one gets comped this week!" I pulled out my reservations with the COMP on all of them. They quit trying to get us to buy after that and we grabbed our Reel Rewards and left. :)

So two hours of time = $200 free play, good deal for my time!

18. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried it once.
    Got some Dews, a muffin, and some slot play.
    Never again.

To me, time in Vegas is...

rare.jpg precious.jpg precious.jpg

(Rare and too precious!) :D

RICHARD

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. dickens1298

dickens1298 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When my friend and his work buddies went to Vegas years ago, they got suckered in. As guys in their 20s, they were up for anything free, but didn't count on being essentially imprisoned for almost 2 hours.

Of course, this same friend went to a strip club on that same trip, fell for a "nice" young lady who was studying to be a dental hygienist at UNLV, and was willing to "donate" a couple of thousand to fix her AC. Needless to say, he never saw her again.

All things being equal - I'm unsure which of the two was more painful.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cleo5

Cleo5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not only was it a time waster for me but I literally felt scuzzy afterwords. I was staying at Flamingo and you couldn't go anywhere in the hotel without being approached. I don't know if it's still like that.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.