1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

6:00 a.m. Delta departure? Heads-up!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Burnsie, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I recently had a Friday 6:00 a.m. flight out of LAS on Delta. We figured we would sail through baggage check-in with no trouble so early in the morning. Boy were we wrong.

We got to the airport at about 4:15 a.m. and even at that hour, the Delta baggage check-in line wrapped all the way through the cordoned-off area. It was "rush hour" packed, and it's a miracle we got to our gate in time.

I don't know if Delta is this crowded every morning, but just a heads up for fellow Delta flyers—if you're checking bags, that "arrive two hours prior to departure" rule applies no matter how early your flight. We won't make the same mistake twice!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was there much of a wait by the time you got to security?

RICHARD

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been doing carryon for most of our trips lately. Wife was TOTALLY against it, but now prefers it, even for 2 weeks trips. Solves that problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Was there much of a wait by the time you got to security?"

Luckily, no, security lines weren't too long. However, we both had the TSA Precheck which got us in a much shorter line, too.

If we had been carryon-only, we would've had no problem at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I had a similar experience when I was leaving from Denver...first flight out and the terminal was packed! I've find there's no way of being certain how busy the terminal will be so I hope for the best and plan for the worst.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We check our luggage and we usually fly back home on Tuesdays, (always SWA) supposedly the least busy day. Out of LAS, sometimes we breeze through and spend 2 hours in a bar. But, there have been times it is packed and we only have time for one drink. :D :beer:

We make it a point to ALWAYS arrive a minimum of 2 hours before.

7. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    last trip leaving vegas, we stayed amextra day and instead of late flight, we had the earliest. southwest bag check outside went quick, TSA only had 2 gates open and not until it went about 6 lines deep did they finally open more lanes...longest I have ever waited to get through any TSA, probally took a good 40 minutes.

flying to vegas, had the early southwest flight, got there around an hour before the flight, bag check inside was super long, outside not so much, outside still took forever, by the time we got through that and TSA, we were last to board and they closed the door about 2 minutes later

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly a couple times a month and though I rarely fly before 9 or 10 a.m... the times I have begrudgingly taken one of those really early flights the terminal, wherever I'm at, is ALWAYS very busy!!!

9. Geddy3

Geddy3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always fly Delta out of LAS and always check bag with the Skycap out front, never waited more than 5 minutes and then walk inside and the line is always a mile long. Would recommend the Skycap everytime, usually tip them a few bucks but well worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    flying out of IND, I have noticed those early morning flights can have surprisingly long lines at the ticket counter and security.

11. PoTownMike

PoTownMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were on the same flight on a Monday morning. Got to the airport about 3:45 AM. Delta didn't have any agents working until 4 AM. It took awhile for their computers to boot-up, but once we started moving it went pretty fast. We had TSA pre-check and walked straight through.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What?!? :eek: You and your wife can do 2 weeks worth of stuff in carry-on only? I have no idea how you pull that off, but there is no way i could. A long weekend is about the extent of what I can do in a carry-on. Maybe I could pull off a week (maybe) if I used my largest carry-on combined with my backpack.

13. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We can have a rush in my local airport in the AM because security doesn't open super early relative to the flights.

14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great advice here if you are nervous about the wait!

15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wear shoes that don't need socks, use a kindle app instead of bringing books, use the hair dryer at your hotel, buy sunscreen at CVS instead of checking it, don't bring undershirts, wear your jacket onto the plane, don't buy big gifts to bring home, wear your pants/shorts for a number of days in a row, etc.

I couldn't do it for a trip where I needed lots of clothes but for 10 days in LV in the summer? I could do it pretty easily. I've done it for Europe before and you need to bring long pants and more stuff for there.

Honestly, almost anyone can do a week unless you have big stuff you need to bring like suits. It's not that hard to put seven pairs of underwear, seven shirts, 2 changes of pants/shorts, a spare pair of shoes, 1 set of workout clothes, a couple pairs of socks, a hat, a phone charter, a swimsuit, and toiletries in a normal sized carry-on - especially if you fold and pack properly. That leaves you able to fill a backpack or duffel with whatever you want (books, snacks, gifts, laptop, whatever)

I had to train my wife on this one but once you get used to it, you never go back. It's so nice being able to get off the plane and go, and you never have to worry about your bag being delayed/lost.

16. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly southwest so I don't worry about paying for checking a bag and I always use skycap when available, though sometimes those lines can be long.

Mostly, though I don't carry on because I HATE schlepping baggage through the airport. I'd rather just have my small purse so there is nothing that gets between me and the bar!

• Like Like x 2
  17. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We left Boston last month for LV. Got to the airport at 4:45 am and the security line was out of the maze and through the terminal. We had precheck and first class so we were able to by-pass that and got to our lane where there were just 5 people.

Coming home, we were at the airport in LV at 9 pm. We approached the security gate in our lane and there was nobody there. There were about 10 people in the precheck lane and 100s of people on the other side.

We were puzzled that so few people signed up for pre check.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They tell me (the ubiquitous "they") that the back-up at the D security checkpoint in the early morning is not nearly as bad as it was since they moved Allegiant (which has a lot of early departures) over to the A gates.

19. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done 20 days with a carry-on and a personal item.
    I've done 10 days with just a personal item.
    If you google "Capsule Wardrobe" you'll see that it's very do-able!

We buy any HBA items needed in Vegas.
    We ship a large USPS flat rate priority box crammed full with heavy stuff home before we leave Vegas.
    On the return flight home my bag is usually lighter than it was when I started.

We HATE checked luggage lines!
    So we started traveling lighter.
    We slightly modified our personal item sized Bags.
    American Toursiter Atmosphera IIRolled Overnight Tote Bag from WalMart (usually $39 on sale right now for $28)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Tourister-Atmosphera-II-Overnight-Tote/39507993
    This bag is pretty damn large and helps us avoid the checked bag lines!

We also removed the side plastic guard on our bags and it fits in the bag sizer like a dream!
    Hobby Lobby has a hot knife (versa tool) that works great for this!
    http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Wood-Crafting/Hardware-Tools/Walnut-Hollow-Creative-Versa-Tool/p/29279
    $29.99 but use a 40% off coupon. Makes it $17.99 plus tax
    We've used these bags 30+ times since purchase.
    These bags have fit under the seat of every airline we've flown.
    Spirit aisle and window seats are the smallest ones and this will still fit easily underneath the seat in front of you with some foot room to spare.
    I actually purchased another set of these bags just in case they stop making them!
    My biggest fear is that the airlines will further reduce the size of a personal item and I'll have to find another favorite bag!
    I REFUSE to wait in lines to check luggage!! If I have to check bags I use SKYCAP. easy peasy DONE!

If you ever do the Spirit BIG FRONT SEAT you have to stow your luggage in the overhead bins of the first row of seats anyways though =(

20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy a good 360 degree rolling suitcase. It's not a schlepp when you have the right equipment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.