1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber to add tipping feature to app

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Las Vegan Cajun, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. vetsen

vetsen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wasn't in Vegas, but I recently got a 1-star rating for not tipping.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    deserved

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lil Lo

Lil Lo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how so? uber's platform is based on a no tip system.

5. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I think it would be more honest if drivers didn't find out about the tip (or lack thereof) until after they'd rated the driver. Otherwise, it comes across like you can bribe a driver into giving you a good rating, even if the driver was otherwise somehow flawed. I think it compromises the integrity of having the rating system in the first place.

6. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was when they first started. Also said tip was included in fare which it never was. That policy changed to tipping not required. But tipping is not required anywhere including bars, restaurants, etc.

Just take a cab and stiff them

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are going to drive for a service that is based on cashless transactions as a major part of the appeal, and does not have built in tips into that platform, you should expect to be stiffed rather a lot.

Glad Uber is building it in. Until they do, 1 starring riders for not tipping is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, I've never lowered a rider rating based solely on whether they tip or not. I've given 100's of 5* ratings to riders that didn't tip. I know a lot of drivers that will disagree with me on that but that's the way I run my business.

The riders I'll drop to 4* are the ones that show up with luggage, I get out of my car to assist with loading and unloading their luggage and they don't tip. If they are nice but no tip after assisting with their luggage it's a 4* rating, if they are rude and I assisted them it's 3* or less depending on the level of rudeness.

I've done over 2000 rides with Uber and Lyft since I started last July. I've only 1* three riders so far and it had nothing to do with tipping. They were that bad that I don't want them again and I hope other driver's don't get them either.

9. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never anyone 1* on hundreds of trips. Worst I have given was a 3*. But it becomes ridiculous watching a pax tip at the hotel for a bell bring the luggage to my car and I end up loading and unloading at an airport and no tip. Still I gave the person a 5* because they were social and polite. But I blame that more on Uber because of original policy which was a lie. Even in uber message boards, they blame uber versus the pax. Now Lyft is another story. For people that stiff a driver when clearly they have a choice of tipping and have to decline is something else.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious as to how in app tipping with Uber is going to change the way Uber riders do tip.

While it's true I get far more tips from Lyft riders (50% of them tip) vs Uber riders (5% of them tip). I've received far bigger tips from Uber riders vs Lyft riders. My biggest tip from Uber riders has been $100, twice, and my biggest tip from Lyft riders has been $15 cash and $8 in the app. I hope the Uber in app tip option doesn't lower the bigger cash tips I have received.

12. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as a passenger, there have only been a few that I did not tip because they SUCKED. I have never given less than a 3 * rating.
    I am glad that Uber is adding tipping to the app. I hope that they have worked out some of the other bugs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Different parts of country get more from Lyft. I rarely get anything from Uber in Tampa Bay. But do get more from Lyft. I believe people coming to Vegas are more generous
    Don't know why they would tip less, unless they don't want it on CC, but they still have the option of cash, which we all prefer. At least when implemented they will have to go past tip on app, can't say anymore they don't have any cash LOL

• Like Like x 1
  14. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like Uber has added this here in Minneapolis. Will try it out next Uber trip I take. Unless of course the driver gives subpar driving service.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Recently wife and I took a trip to Reno and used Lyft exclusively for one reason, it was a business trip for her. She was allowed to charge her transportation to her corporate credit card. She opted for Lyft so she could tip in the app and it got charged to her company card.

One of the Lyft drivers I was taking too drives both Uber and Lyft in Reno and he says he gets a lot more Lyft rides up there than he does Uber. I was telling him it's just opposite in Vegas I get about 10-1 Uber vs Lyft.

It is amazing how the two can be dominate in one area and not another. There's a similar situation here in Vegas, my best Lyft customers are African American females. If I was to keep track I'd say at least 75% of my Lyft riders are AA females. Which means that when I drive in neighborhoods were they are the predominant race my Lyft requests go way up from the usual. Helps to know this information when going for a Lyft weekly bonus, drive where the most business is.

16. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only 1 star someone if they are a total @$$ to me. I have never rated someone low for lack of a tip, but I have had a rating or two changed on Lyft when the rider has told me they were going to tip and then did not, don't lie to me and play me stupid.

I am wondering how in cities other than Vegas and other tourist destinations, if the drivers will see much in tips since Uber has spent all these years conditioning riders not to tip. I cash tipped every driver when I used Uber in Vegas and CC tipped every Lyft driver except one and thats because he purposely tried to long haul me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jidery

Jidery Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I support this, allows me to not have to dealing with carrying cash every time I use Uber, and it allows me to NOT tip when they're bad drivers and no fights can break out because they no longer have any clue who is tipping or not.

18. dino_martini

dino_martini Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Off topic but does Lyft have a rating system for passengers like Uber does?

19. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. We have to rate the rider before we can accept our next ride.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_1417.PNG

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.