1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bazaar Meat by Jose Andres - please convince me

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by DaiLun, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, as you all (may or may not) know, I typically don't pay for food in Las Vegas, unless it's an inexpensive (<$50 for two) meal. I get comped at a lot of places.

However, this restaurant really has me intrigued. I've looked at the menu

https://d2qpe4zrjvek3f.cloudfront.net/db/content/uploads/2017/01/16213315/SLS_LV-FB-042-Bazaar-Meat-Menu_122716-web.pdf

The menu looks really, really good, and the prices are really, really high. I figure that this will be a $200+ meal, and I don't intend on "playing" for my food.

I am "up" this year, so I have some money to splurge with . . . . there are "special" guests that I can share this meal with . . .

So, why am I balking?

Can anyone convince me to go, or "not" go? I'm really on the fence here . . .

2. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since SLS was recently sold, Bazaar Meat may not be around much longer. Perhaps that's reason enough to try it?

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think the sale will close before the OP's next trip. I'd be shocked if there are major changes before then. Haven't been myself but heard great things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right. But if he doesn't go during his next trip, he may not have the opportunity again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next trip is a solo trip, so I may indulge and take plenty of pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  6. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does me being envious help convince you? If so, I'll add that. (Never been, but near the top of my Vegas restaurant wish list.)

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Menu looks very interesting, I see many items I would like to try. Do they get a lot of business?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lil Lo

Lil Lo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    save your money and splurge meal for a different restaurant. Bazaar Meats sucks. Well... sucks is maybe too strong, but its not worth the price.

but since you said "convince me", ill try.

if you like gimmick food (molecular gastronomy) then you might enjoy it. the cotton candy, smores, and the olives are pretty standard Jose Andres dishes. They are tasty and fun (mostly because the presentation is different). Most of the starters come prepared in unique presentations.

the mains are a bit more traditional in taste and presentation. The beef/steaks are decent. There are better steaks (and steakhouses) on the strip, but the Bazaar ones do the job.

the charcuterie selection is also decent, although the price they charge for the jamon iberico is pretty steep even by fine dining standards.

i've dined there 3 times on 3 different trips over the last 2-3 years (my friends are Jose Andres fans and we operate in a democratic manner where I'm always outvoted) and the service was pretty mediocre every time. I could be wrong, but I feel that many people seek out this restaurant because they are familiar with Andres's restaurants and his molecular gastronomy influenced style. That being said, the servers tend to talk to you like you're some moron who's only eaten at McDonalds or Cracker Barrel their entire life. Its a bit condescending.

Bazaar Meats feels like a dumbed down version of a Jose Andres restaurant with jacked up prices to take advantage of ignorant or non-discerning tourists who dont know any better.

For what its worth, I do enjoy some of his other restaurants. Jaleo in DC was very good and blows Bazaar Meats out of the water.

One thing to note. If your "special" guests are military (like a lot of my friends), they do give a pretty solid military discount. I believe its 20-25%. The 3 times I've dined their, my group size was anywhere between 6-10 and they didnt bat an eye about applying the military discount even though we had a larger group.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Lil Lo - Thanks, I think you have convinced me to pass and try Cut, Delmonico, or Craftsteak.

10. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jose does great stuff. I've trekked out here a couple of times just for this.

I think the opinion on servers depends on who you get - I've had excellent service the past 3 times I've dined there.

The croquettas de jamon are AMAZING. The salmon shashimi is unlike any I've ever had, very fresh and just....deliciously different. Their riff on mashed potatoes is delightful. My boyfriend and I also split the “Vaca Vieja” 8-10 Year-Old Holstein which was super good. We had some other appetizers and desserts that I can't remember.

I also see they have a good happy hour, might have to check it out next time I'm there. Overall, I would highly recommend it. Be warned, it's pricey, but the restaurant is quirky, service is good, and the cooking stations are cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.