1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ever Been Stung By A Scorpion ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I remember telling someone that I'd like to go night fishing
    ( from shore ) when I lived in AZ.
    They were local ( I was an East Coaster freshwater fisherman ) -
    They told me "Watch out for all the scorpions running across the rocks." )
    .........I decided not to go...........
    Jack Ass ( Steve-O ) took a sting on one episode.
    Compare the sting if you will ?

2. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am allergic to wasp stings. I got stung by a small scorpion sleeping and it got my attention, but I lived. A big one might hurt like a bitch, but you will live. In central Texas, we have scorpions at our ranch.

3. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend of mine was stung while playing golf in Mexico. After awhile the swelling (finger) was so bad that his caddy rushed him to the nearest small town (20+ minutes). He required 2 doses of anti-venom. The finger was slightly swollen for quite awhile, but he's fine now.

GG

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YRWV, as with everything else. I've been popped a few times over the years. Hurts like a demon, like a hornet times 10. Thankfully I'm not reactive in more than a localized manner, however.

Who the hell is "Jack Ass/Steve-O"???

5. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who the hell is "Jack Ass/Steve-O"???[/QUOTE]
    :D:D:D
    Somehow I don't think Ken watches to much MTV

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup: Oh, so high-demand TV for Americans.

I did finally find where they moved Palladia, thankfully!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One time when I was a kid. At Possum Kingdom lake, my granddad's cabin. It hurt like hell! The thing different from a wasp sting was that it hurt for a long time longer.

9. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we first moved to Texas we had an above ground pool in the back yard. Had my shoes out by it. Well, I didn't know about shaking them before putting them on. Put a foot in, and OMG. I was only 6, and we had only been in Texas for about 2 or 3 months. Not a good start. Mom was calling everyone to find out what to do. The thing was about 1.5"-2" long if I remember right.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm gonna opt out. It sounds like fun, but, I'm washing my hair whenever you're planning on doing that. I hear my Mom calling....bye!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Texas, summer, and scorpions. They look for water - inside when it is hot and dry. I used to get stung every year- three years in a row- I got stung on the ass. 1st time had a glass of wine and sat down on a stair on the deck to watch the sunset- Hello. Then next year was fast asleep. Felt like a hot poker jabbed into the glute- this time I am screaming, crying, and stripping. It crawled up my pajama leg. The next year same thing asleep and crawled up pajamas. Nasty little bastards. We eventually moved to town. We are thinking about moving back out to the country. Thinking about scorpions makes me want to stay in town.

They are very hard to get rid of even with professional pest control. They love ceiling fans too. - They travel in pairs.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Texas here also, never been stung, but a few years ago we were camping at Yegua Creek park and arrived late in the evening. Our site wasn't too far from the bathrooms and we used them a couple times in the dimly lit evening before going to bed. Next morning in the light we discovered that there were a few of them hanging out inside the urinal! That could have sucked!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have them in Florida also. I got stung about 15 years ago helping my cousin move. Right dead center in the middle of the top of my hand. 10 x worse than hornets, yellowjackets, wasps, bees etc..And the pain lasts longer also. My hand looked like the Hamburger Helper logo for about 2 hours. However, my cousin smokes and I took a couple hollowed out the tobacco, crushed it up, put it in a wet paper towel, then placed it over the sting. This works much better with wasp/hornet/bee stings, but I did get much needed relief. I hate those fuckers, they're bigger assholes that yellowjackets and hornets.

14. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes... Texas here as well...
    When we first got our house (a few miles south of fort Worth), the pesky things were everywhere... but we managed to avoid stings, as did our kids.

Skip ahead a few years...to about 2005 or so... I'm walking to my mailbox on a Saturday afternoon in July... over 100 outside...I'm barefoot... along the way, I feel this incredibly sharp pain on the top of my foot... look down and I see that bastard...I pick up a nearby brick (used as a garden border in my front yard), and I obliterate his existence... which is the only pleasure I felt for the next 8 hours or so... others are correct - much more pain than wasp or yellow-jacket stings... and much longer-lasting pain...it doesn't fade like wasp stings do.
    I had swelling, but it wasn't nightmarish swelling.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we bought our house in Vegas, we had to sign all sorts of acknowledgement papers. Are you aware gambling is legal-duh. But, another one was that there are scorpions here. I don't remember the exact number, but it was something like 30 different varieties. Talking to locals, apparently they love palm trees as a hideout. We never saw one, but plenty of cockroaches every night on the deck.
    I found a homebrew roach recipe on the internet. You dump used coffee grounds and water in a glass jar and set it out next to a post or something they can crawl up. They drop in, but can't crawl out. In peak season, I was emptying two jars every two days.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  16. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Never seen a scorpion in St Pete Florida, knock on wood. But worse than them are the brown recluse spider. People have lost arms and legs because of their venom rotting the flesh.

And we don't call them cockroaches here. Palmetto bugs, sound much classier LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, I remember that on my first trip to FL about 35 years ago. We were out at the pool and commented about all the cockroaches everywhere. Pool attendant... "Those aren't cockroaches, they are Palmetto bugs".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baking soda, and water also works well. Make a paste of it, and put it on the sting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bob Seaman

Bob Seaman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, but I recall USAF training in the hills about 40 miles out of San Antonio and they were everywhere. Several guys did get stung. Try low crawling through scrub with scorpions, rattle snakes and little cacti all over the freaking place.

You had to shake out your clothes and boots every morning.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.