1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Good home eats

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on the road a lot lately, couple outings in CA and then off to North Carolina and Alabama, in rather short succession. It was great to have a weekend at the casa, doing nothing much more than some yard work and cooking. I had some great eats on the road but getting back to controlling your own destiny in the kitchen is a pleasure.

Friday dinner: Roasted chicken breasts with prosciutto and sage, gnocchi with tomato-vodka sauce and steamed broccoli.

Saturday dinner: Three-meat sauce lasagna and arugula salad. (We did a ricotta and egg blend instead of béchamel for that particular layer.)

Sunday dinner: 'Ono grilled chicken thighs, corn risotto and green beans with walnuts and miso-Dijon dressing.

It's going to nice to be home for many weeks, save a day trip this week (I might overnight) down to Carlsbad to do some testing at Cobra Golf. Plus a few of the Golf Boyz are coming here next month while Terri is in Oregon on her annual girls' adventure.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For Sunday Brunch I made an excellent 3 egg [emoji505] scramble with diced jalapeño, bell pepper, diced leftover home fries, and some bulk country sausage. Chased it with two mugs of 8 O'CLOCK coffee, fresh ground in my grinder.

I then proceeded to the "Private Beach" and watched from my beach chair with my Tom Clancy novel and cooler of Coors Banquets as every known ethnicity and breed of dog cavorted and frolicked on the "Private Beach".

Saw one girl wearing about 6 square inches of black bikini [emoji160] playing frisbee. Yes, I did watch her.

Not a bad day. Oh, and I brought back to life a corroded pair of needle nose pliers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your breakfast sounds quite similar to one we had yesterday. We eased back a bit on bike-ride Saturday, piling on fresh local berries, yogurt and a thick slab of crunchy toast with avo.

Nice job on the pliers, you randy old bugger! lol

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although it's nice to eat out every once in a while and explore culinary cuisines, you can't beat good home eats.

We have a 3 day weekend (we're celebrating King Kamehameha Day in Hawaii) so we have today off. I love weekends where we can take our time and concoct dishes that take time to make like stews, soups, or break out the BBQ grill, ice the beers and drinks and throw things on the fire.

I was thinking of making Okinawan Pig Feet soup. Not a dish for everyone, obviously, but you can substitute pork ribs if the feet is not to your liking. Takes time to do so today is perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night I had Campbell's soup with Saltines smashed up into that bitch.

Sometimes I wish I knew how to cook, or had been raised to do so, or was in a relationship that involved a cookworthy partner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I does help when both in the house love food and love to cook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife makes the best beef gravy in the world with mushrooms added. Her gravy for chicken fried steak is so good it I eat it on bead alone later.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was so envious of my friends in sales that would get to stay in hotels and eat three meals a day in restaurants.......then I landed a gig requiring a substantial amount of travel and I really missed home cookin' in pretty short order.

My per diem was sort of limiting not being in a sales role. ........there was a lot of Olive Garden/Red Lobster-esque dining.

My wife is a very acomplished cook, and knows her wines too. I am not much of a foodie but sure do enjoy her cooking. When she is out of town I subsist primarily out of cans :):):)

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eating on the road can be tough, no doubt.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mayo-dill, cedar-plank grilled salmon; vermicelli and rice; charred garlic Brussels sprouts. And a 2012 Transcendence La Encantada Pinot.

11. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just made some homemade turkey and sausage meatballs with fennel seed and loads of garlic. (I like the smoother texture of turkey meatballs.)

Paired it with a homemade hybrid of spicy arrabbiata and standard bolognese sauce. (And butter-tossed al dente noodles...)

I'm a slacker on bread though, that was store bought, as I love to cook, but don't bake.

PS Loving your meal Breeze, I'm not surprised at all you're a good cook, now THAT'S a breakfast!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made this Popper Dip yesterday. So good.

Now I am dealing with a new food allergy- nuts. ( tree nuts & peanuts too). I keep testing myself thinking I'm just nuts/cocopuffed. Each reaction gets worse. I ate a chocolate chip cookie someone brought from a local baker--Too die for--I almost did. I thought it may have had nuts - none obvious but must have been finely chopped. My mouth and tongue started tingling, throat scratchy, I turned beet red and stared wheezing. Working in a hospital they all wanted to throw me in a stretcher as a patient-- hell no. My ER bill would be over $3000 and I am no where near my deductible. I took an antihistamine and I have an old -- very old inhaler. But Iam now convinced I have a nut allergy. F me- We have pecan trees- I love Pecans.

Anyone know if pine nuts are a seed or a nut? I have looked on the internet and it is referred to as both. I ask because I wonder about Pesto- I love it and have a ton of Basil.

[​IMG]

Bacon Jam. -- enough said.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Mango Pico D Gallo is great over cream cheese topped with Fischer & Wieser Original Raspberry Chipolte Sauce.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now on our 2nd week away from home, but eating pretty well! :feedme:

RICHARD

14. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm enjoying reading about the stuff you guys are making at home. I have a vivid imagination so I can actually salivate just reading about the food you guys made.

I know we all should eat to live, but I sometimes LIVE TO EAT, LOL!!

My Okinawan Pig Feet Soup came out pretty good yesterday! :licklips:

Tell us all about it when you get back home!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

I'd rather live to eat, because Kraft Mac and Domino's could conceivably suffice for the other.

16. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a pretty good cook as well, but eating my hobby got my weight out of control. I've lost 102# in a year, and now that I am off of the formal diet plan, I am trying to learn to cook more healthily. It is difficult as I am not a big veggie eater and my wife doesn't like seafood/shellfish at all.

I am in no way considering going vegetarian, but I am always on the lookout for vegetarian meals (to use as a low-cal meal) and I am surprised at the amount of oils and fats in some vegetarian recipes that I see.

Until then, my food intake is quite boring until I can find some moderate-caloried meals that both my wife and I can enjoy and that are fun to prepare.

I did get some Blue Apron meals; many are pretty good and most are in the 600-700 calorie per serving range, which isn't too bad. However they are expensive once you get past the promo code.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  17. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sister decided she wanted to give being vegetarian a shot. She gained 5 lb. quickly because of the butter and oils!

Try living with Ketchup only (my husband). He would eat red meat 3 meals a day - along with fries. I don't like to fry everything and I get tired of red meat, so many nights I cook red meat and veggies. The meat is for him and the 10yo. I just eat the veggies.

It's hard cooking for such picky taste buds, so we end up eating the same few meals every week. What's so bad is I'm a chef by trade, but decided I loved nursing equally as much and it provided slightly better hours. I don't get to use all the techniques and recipes I learned because no one in my house would appreciate them!

• Like Like x 1
  18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so you like tomato soup. Check out a recipe for homemade: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19576/tomato-soup/
    I'm a big fan of allrecipies and I subscribe for a daily email recipe, most of the time I just delete it. My Mom was a scratch cook, I guess I picked it up from Mom.

I guess one of my fave home made eats is from Julia Child: Beef Bourguignon.

mjames, if you're looking for more veggie content, try zoodles. Zucchini cut into thin pasta like strips, you can buy a hand held zoodle maker at Bed Bath and Beyond. You can add shrimp or chicken and eliminate pasta.

19. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My local grocer sells zoodles ready to go. A little pricey but I am on big time restraints frequently. Getting ready to start 7 - 12 hour shifts in a row- pre- sliced or already chopped onion, celery, onions etc helps a lot.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $40 bucks at WallyWorld, and its self cleaning. Would I lie? :rolleyes:

Good luck with your 12 hour shifts, get your boss to send in a masseuse, or at the least one of those foot massagers.

IMG_2837.PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.