1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another Reason to Avoid the Golden Nugget

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Reston, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the front bar playing VP. Ignored by three bartenders, finally flagged down one to ask for a drink. They refused to acknowledge my ongoing machine play, saying they have a new light system and the machine tells them when a customer is elligible. My play meets the eligibility requirements they verbally give me, but because the light is not on i can't get a drink. One bartender even argues with me about how much I put in the machine, even though he wasn't around to see it but has full faith in this brand new light system that doesn't work.

I take partial blame for agreeing to meet someone here, lol.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pure B.S., what a way to send customers elsewhere. The bean counters are ruining Las Vegas. I hope you told them what to do with the light.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
  3. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    vote with your feet and dollars

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They don't want people that understand the odds and play right. They want those that can say they stayed downtown at GN and think they get decent odds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just out of curiosity, what were the requirements you were quoted by the bartender?

Also at the time you talked with them, you hadn't gone broke or near broke yet, right?

The lights definitely shut off if you go broke, and I think they might shut off if you only have a small amount of money left in the machine. Don't quote me on that last one though.

It amazes me how much GN bartenders hassle customers though.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had 2 free drink coupons from the sports book. I ordered 2 domestic beers, couldn't have been easier. the bartender acted like he didn't want to be bothered. screw him!

7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like going through the gn once or twice a trip just to see all the smugness displayed. BUT to each his/her own.

8. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear GN VP bartenders are as lousy as they were five years ago when I stayed there last. I remember unfriendly service at multiple bars and crappy pay tables, too. I may stay there again but I'll never play there again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of curiosity: how much had you out in the machine? were you playing consistently? and how long were you playing?

10. PFD

PFD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never been able to get a bartender there to even acknowledge my existence let alone get a drink there while playing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a 25 cent paytable. I put in a $20, and had been playing for 10-15 minutes at max coins. (Which, at my speed of play, is a relatively high number of hands.) I had a little under $10 remaining in the machine when bartender #1 that I flagged down replied "cash or credit?" with a smirk when I asked for a drink, and then bartender #2 sauntered over and saw my remaining cash balance and insisted I must have put $10 in the machine and that's why the machine was denying me a drink.

And, yes, "smug" is a good description of both bartenders I interacted with. Unfortunately, I've relocated to the Strip for the rest of the trip, where smug is a way of life.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow what dicks. You shouldn't get "smug" at my favorite strip bar, TAG Lounge. It's a must for craft beer lovers. Also they have better paytables than GN bars!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand the bartenders stank attitude. Don't they rely on tip? With a stank attitude I'm not giving them 1 cent.

14. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The D, Vue Bar, upstairs. Great quarter Bonus Poker (8/5 with progressives). Totally cool guys (particularly Jason and Emerson), top shelf cocktails made with care. Also a good selection of craft beers. The Smug Nugget has been off our list for a couple of years.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair, the bartenders are probably losing out with this system. For me, when i get a "free" drink while playing , I am much more appreciative of the dealer and give him a bigger tip. The new system makes it seem like I am earning the drink so I would be incluned to tip less. I have to believe most decent bartenders hate this new system. Just another way they think the bossman is watching their every move.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem could lie with the GN management. It could be the bartenders are warned not to give free drinks unless the light goes on so that's why the attitude. But I would think it's a management problem to "tighten" the bartops to make it harder to qualify for a comped drink.

Many of us don't like the GN because of their "smug" attitude. Others may like to stay and play there but I don't even bother to go into the place that has such a snobbish attitude at their tables and at bars.

As others have mentioned, so many other places that values your play.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tell this to everyone too. Them people at TAG are GREAT! I was there several nights over two different trips last summer and sucking down Mules and 8%-10% beers comped without question. I wasn't even playing the VP, rather the 9 like Texas Tea option and only betting 75 cents and STILL getting comped.

18. Kevzilla

Kevzilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caesars had this red light/green light first. You should expect it at the Linq soon. And, eventually in all machines, not just bartops.

19. rcbeamer

rcbeamer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't wagered one dollar in the Nugget since 2010. Their .25 video poker selection s*cks at the bartops anyway. I only pass through for two reasons. 1) To use a LVA coupon for the buffet when I or someone I'm with has a valid one, and 2) A late-night/early morning hooker check. :evillaugh: Sometimes there are some real babes who could make it on the Strip.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  20. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes hit up the starbux at the GN. I used to go there everyday of my downtown trip, but I cut back to every other. they had a significant price hike on top of already sky high prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.