1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lake Mead?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ValerieJo, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know, I am shocked to see how low lake mead has gone down. I can really see it at the dam. I remember when I visited the dam (20 years ago) the water was peaking and sometimes going over the overflow area. Return a couple of years ago to see the water level probably 50 ft or so lower than it was 20 years ago.

I just hope that the water levels don't continue to drop in the next decade or two, or else they may need to do some serious rationing or holding back water. Not sure if there will be enough water to run the turbines for the electricity if the levels go down too much.

2. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. This sounds a bit more affordable than some of the others I've seen.

3. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

Not over. Lake Mead is huge.. In CA, most of the lakes are full but also they rely on ground water. Would take many many years
    like the last winter to refresh underground aquifer just like it would take Lake Mead years to fill. Enjoy it anyway.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not the point, the drought is over, groundwater draws are totally separate, we could have record rains for generations but if you suck more out than is going in(not running off), the levels will drop. . The problem is not rain. There were experts that said the 5 year drought could last for generations, and that scarcity was a permanent fixture, they were proven wrong in 3 months, probably the worst climate prediction ever.

The lesson is that next time they talk, take it with a grain of salt.

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking that is kind of a poor lesson...

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go back to that page, but pick a different graph at the bottom "All Time Lake Levels", it shows steady decrease for the past 15+ years.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah totally I chose that one to show how this winter barely made a dent in it.

When I first went to vegas the bath tub ring was just starting to itself

8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nature is like life::: there's good times and lean times

Sincerely Aristotle(well really 93 Octane)

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This winter has barely made a dent because all the water is in lake powell, look at that graph. basically they will not release water from powell unless there's a reason to. Each spring the runoff will raise powell(it will peak in maybe 3 weeks), in the fall they will increase outflow from powell into lk mead, which typically peaks in feb. Then the cycle will repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.