1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Win 10 desktop & odd problem with screensaver-I think??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This just starting happening yesterday. I am not touching the keyboard long enough for the what I assume is the screensaver to kick in.
    But, it's not normal. When the screen goes black, it plays the tones as if you plugged in a new flash drive or device and when I move the mouse to bring the screen back, I have lost my taskbar and my browser's toolbars. Crap, it just did it again as I was typing, so I guess it's not the screensaver. This time I just lost the taskbar.

Nothing looks odd on task manager. But I have to turn the computer off with the power button in order to restore it to normal. No taskbar at all to restart etc.
    Any ideas?? Turning it off again

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No advice, but good luck. I bought a laptop a few months ago with Windows 10. The only time I use it is in Vegas and a couple of days every couple of months to work at home. I hate fucking Windows 10, I spend half my time on it getting interrupted by notifications and then tracking down where to turn that shit off and finding shit I actually use that they've buried somewhere or called some new name.

I hate that goddamn notification sound SO MUCH! lol :grrr:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the opposite, haven't had a single issue w/ Windows 10. In fact I remarked that point to my fellow development staff that it was "sort of scary" to have not had any issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be a hardware issue. Open it up and check for loose cables, etc.

Open the Device Manager and see if there are any "questionable" devices or mismatched drivers. There will be a small indicator next to the culprit device. Right click on it and search for a new driver.

5. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try pressing the Windows Key on your keyboard when the taskbar disappears to see if that restores your taskbar. It's better than rebooting. You could try right click in the taskbar area and then Settings. Experiment with those settings...especially turn off any auto hide settings.

6. RibbonCat

RibbonCat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry this made me laugh lol Try going to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions and then turn them off from there. I hate the notifications and have mine turned off.

Joe, Im sorry I dont know what your issue could be - but you could try Control + Alt + Delete to shut down instead of the power button. Doesnt help the main issue though.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried Ctrl/alt/delete and there was no shutdown option. After seeing your post, I looked again. Now I see there is an icon in the bottom right corner. I never noticed that before. Thanks, but I hope I can stop using it.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I see why. It happened again today and went to C/A/D and that option was no longer visible. Just like the taskbar, it seems off the screen somewhere, as if the screen size is way out of proportion to the monitor. Of course with no taskbar, I can't get to Control Panel, or anything else.

9. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check the monitor cable - both where it connects to the tower and where it connects to the monitor. If it's an HDMI cable, try swapping it with another one. Could be loose, bad cable, etc... If Windows is rescaling the screen size, a bad cable could be causing Windows to not read the dimensions properly.

If the cable plugs into a video card that's in an expansion slot - give or take your level of comfort, you could open the case and make sure the video card (where the cable plugs into) is seated properly in it's slot, screwed in tight enough (or check the pressure bracket that holds some cards in like on Dells or HP). If the tower got jostled at all, the card might of moved just enough to cause a bad connection. DO THIS with the power off of course (and I'd unplug the power to be safe).

10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I know, I'm just grumpy. I couldn't believe all the shit there was to be turned off, that made me even worse.

Just keep the OS nice and stable and quit moving shit around and renaming it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.