1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question about check-in credit card authorizations

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by acmestyled, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acmestyled

acmestyled Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi All -- I have a question regarding the credit card "hold" placed at check-in. The fine print states the following:

We will place an authorization against this account to cover applicable charges for room, tax and resort fees, as well as a $150 incidental amount per day to allow you access to room charging privileges and may result in additional authorizations should your charges exceed the originally approved amount.
    My trip starts Friday and we check-out on Monday morning. Will the hold be inclusive of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (ie, $600)? Or Friday, Saturday, Sunday (ie, $450)?

If it makes a difference, I'm staying at an MGM property (Bellagio).

Thanks for any advice!

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the hold is per night booked, so $450 plus room, RF and tax.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly how Aria charged me over the weekend.

4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get a nice desk clerk, slip em a 20, they may waive that incidental hold, which would also prohibit you from charging to your room. Some will just waive it, others wont.

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have any intentions of gambling though & asking for potential comps before check-out though you will need the hold so you can room charge. They can't go back & comp items you have paid outright for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^^
    Very valid.

Personally I never shoot for anything more than my resort fees being removed.

7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It never hurts ask for more (nicely), or just dont tell them what you want...and see what they offer. If they are open to giving you x amount, but you ask for less, they're probably not going to pony up more than what you ask, and you'll never know.

FYI this is from experience. I HATE asking for things, so just asking "I wanted to see if I played enough to have any extra charges removed" makes me feel less pushy than asking for everything but the kitchen sink....but still gives you the ability to get more back than you expected. When I first started doing this, I was nervous, but I was often very surprised that I often had more taken off than what I would have asked for. ADT is great to use as a benchmark, but don't let it absolutely dictate what you ask for...many, many times I've gotten more taken off than what I felt my approx. ADT should merit. Let THEM lead with what they can offer. If it's less than what you hope to get, you can always ask for more. If it's more than what you wanted? Smile, say thank you
    and take it as a win.

Just remember, employees are human...they enjoy taking care of the nice person more than the crud that is rude. They usually can't comp you much more than what numbers dictate, but they can always comp the jerk less. ;)

Have a GREAT trip, and ditto on room holds, mine have always been per night at both Bellago and Aria, not per day!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.