1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nevada Legislature voting on bill that may chase Uber & Lyft out of Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Las Vegan Cajun, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgive my inexact metaphor, I was not suggesting that Uber and Lyft should only have to file FAA Form 8050. :)

I was hoping to introduce the concept that perhaps some of the existing taxi regulations are not necessary and reasonable. I think there is some due criticism to be applied to existing taxi regulations when it should be fairly evident that Uber and Lyft aren't causing utter anarchic carnage on the roads where they currently operate. But perhaps I missed the stories where there are thousands of ride share drivers doing 150 mph on the freeway all across the country.

To reiterate a point: Uber and Lyft are not operating in de facto anarchy in Nevada. Their drivers must have liability insurance to cover their passengers. And my understanding is Uber and Lyft require vehicle inspections in order to drive for them. It might be reasonable to ask, what is the existing or likely problem that applying all of the taxi regulations to them is trying to solve?

2. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should be regulated just like taxis. But this bill seems to go further then what taxis need to be complaint with the law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You take a ride in a taxi and get broadsided by a drunk. Go to the hospital. Lots of $'s. You take über/lyft with the same result.
    Which scenario leaves you in a better situation?
    Other than giving my credit card info to yet another ?able security situation I like the concept of both but the lack of background checks liability limits me to the wax. Damnit

4. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Uber and Lyft are regulated just like taxis then the fares will be just like taxis.

5. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

should be the same as both uber/lyft have a billion dollar policy. I drive for both (not vegas) and everyone gets a background check along with needing a current license and insuerance. Riders are protected through lyft/uber policy as long as they are in the vehicle. And rating system does help the consumer if they see unsafe vehicles and going off route. Where can you rate a taxi driver or their vehicle?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for clarifying

7. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BRING BACK THE RICKSHAW!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds to me like the taxi companies' campaign contributions are starting to work. Uber/Lyft is the future, and competition for the taxi companies is sorely needed.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If anything, they need to review the regs on taxis to see if there are some to pull back to level the playing field in the other direction. I do think you are going to see more attempts to add regs to ride share because there are too many instances where Uber has publicly claimed to do one thing but in reality is doing less. There are also a lot of unhappy ride share drivers who are going to want support in being treated like employees instead of contractors.

11. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm one of the few that would prefer it stays the way it is. Being an independent contractor means being a self employed business owner. The tax benefits of a 1099 contractor are much better than a W-2 employee.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.