1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nevada Legislature voting on bill that may chase Uber & Lyft out of Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Las Vegan Cajun, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In on another epic transportation thread...

"If this proposal is passed, Nevada will become the only state in the nation to reject progress and better accessibility to transportation options for its residents" Sounds about right...

Feels like a setup to gouge you no matter your transportation needs- long hauls or parking fees for everyone!

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    gotta get the christmas cards out early this year ;):santa:

4. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They tried to do the same shit here in Tampa...all it wound up doing was piss off the voters/users of these services so bad that they're going to disband the Hillsborough County Transportation Board.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read the article you linked but I didn't see what part of the bill is specifically attempting to kill off ride-sharing. What's wrong with them requiring an operator to first obtain a business license? Assuming they have no reason to be rejected for one, it shouldn't be a problem. Why are they requiring the insurance for the passengers? Is that something not already provided, or not provided in ample amounts to their standard? If they're just requiring for the Uber/Lyft drivers to be held to the same insurance standards as the taxis, in order to protect the consumers at the proper liability amounts, then that shouldn't be an issue either.

I'm all for killing off the taxi industry if Uber/Lyft can provide the same services more efficiently, and thus, cheaper, but I also recognize that the transportation industry needs to be properly regulated and insured, and if the governments are doing their part to make sure of that, then I'm ok with them stepping in. As long as they aren't asking Uber/Lyft for anything more than they would ask of any other transportation company, then I don't see it as being a problem. If the prices of Uber/Lyft have to increase somewhat to ensure that me and my family are safe and properly protected by the required liability insurance, I'm ok with that too.

I think people are taking the opposite extreme in regards to Lyft/Uber and only care what the price is. They need to be properly regulated. Car transportation is a very risky industry for its customers and mistakes happen that involve hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars in injury claims. Someone needs to be out there protecting us when we use these services.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Why does it NEED to be regulated? It just adds more cost. A big part of why ride sharing is cheaper is because they do not have to navigate all these insurance and business licenses. We as a consumer should be able to decide if we want to roll the dice in an uber/lyft to save a few bucks or pay more to ride in a taxi..

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me ask you a question: would you fly on an airline that's unregulated and 75% of the cost of a normal flight? One that the FAA admits they have no control over.

I bet you wouldn't. Yet, you would happily ride around in a higher risk environment unregulated? You realize just how much more likely you are to die in a car crash than a plane crash, yes?

This is what I'm saying. People just see the low cost and couldn't care less about anything else. That's a very dangerous way to live your life.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once again the govt sticking its ugly nose where it doesn't belong! Uber/Lyft made transportation in Vegas a breeze. One would hope, but doubt, that smarter heads will prevail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it should be an open market. Let the consumers decide. If people would fly with an unregulated airline then great more power to them. If not then the airline would go out of business and that is fine too. Let the people speak for what they want. Clearly people are willing to "roll the dice" and ride with Uber/Lyft. If the consumer decides that Uber/Lyft is too unsafe and not regulated enough then people will stop using it and they will and the ride sharing will go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you live in the wrong country, my friend.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A "regulated" taxi ride doesn't ensure my piece of mind any more than an "unregulated" Uber/Lyft ride.

I've had safety issues with taxis, not had any with Uber.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    now that I will agree with lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps. But it's my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, let's see regulating public transit, bad; regulating resort fees, good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well if you drive 150mph down the highway for a few days, because it's your life, then you'll end up dead or in jail at some point. We get choices and options taken away from us every day because of government intervention. That's the price to be paid for living in one of the greatest countries in the World. There are trade-offs to the benefits you get from living here.

Besides, I think people are still taking extremes here. The foundation of the business model that Uber and Lyft presents can still provide significantly cheaper rates for transportation to customers even if they have to give some of it back to be properly licensed and insured. The difference in cost between a taxi and Uber/Lyft is pretty monumental right now. If Uber/Lyft fares raised even another 20% in order to placate local/state/federal government regulations, then it's still going to be far cheaper than taxi. Taxis can never come close to matching the efficiency of a large centralized company like Uber or Lyft. They're too fragmented. Even if governments shut down Uber/Lyft someday, taxis will never operate the same way they have in the past. Consumers won't allow it now that they've seen what a difference an efficient business can make on the costs of transportation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, people certainly are taking extremes here.

Of course the government routinely injects regulations into our lives, but that doesn't make all of those regulations a good idea.

If Uber / Lyft are going to be regulated so as to be indistinguishable from a cab company, there's no point to Uber / Lyft.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talking "sense" will only get you so far 'round here...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The advantage of Uber/Lyft regarding their pricing model isn't due to their cost savings on not being regulated the same or having less insurance.

Their advantage is their embrace of technology and efficiency. The same reason why the rich keep getting richer. Taxi companies have remained fragmented, and the larger ones did not have the foresight to envision new transportation companies coming out of nowhere to steal their market share. A large taxi company could have developed a state-of-the-art app on a national level, banding together with other regional-dominating taxi services, to provide customers a similar transportation model to what Uber and Lyft is. They would have been able to offer lower pricing than the smaller taxi companies and individual drivers, ultimately pushing those guys out of business, just like Uber and Lyft are doing to taxis in many cases right now.

...but they didn't. Instead, Uber and Lyft came in with their own technology and grew like wildfire. They skirted and broke municipal and state transportation laws and regulations but they were so large that the governments didn't know what hit them and couldn't react quickly enough to shut them down completely. By the time the government could figure out what was going on, Uber/Lyft were so popular that a group of politicians trying to shut them down completely would have instead upset their constituents. It happened so fast that the governments never had a chance. Now, those governments are getting pressure from the taxi side instead, so they're trying to play both sides. I'm interested to see where this leads.

19. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never like to see the strawman arguments that tend do go along the lines of, "oh you think such-and-such is over-regulated, ah then you must want absolutely no regulation at all."

Personally, I don't think the current state of Uber/Lyft compliance with state/local laws is anywhere near as anarchistic as the suggested metaphor of flying in a plane with *zero* FAA oversight.
    Sorry to put it bluntly, but that is nutty hyperbole. It's worth noting there's absolutely no airplane that carries human beings anywhere in the USA that isn't subject to FAA regulations. Even that lawnmower engine powered ultralight you built yourself in your garage requires an Form 8050 registration filed with the FAA. But the FAA doesn't require your ultralight to go through the same 14 month certification process as the Airbus A380 did. That seems like a reasonable middle ground.

In my opinion, the taxi associations aren't looking for a middle ground here. They are asking for every Nevada Uber/Lyft driver to get the same NTA decal as a taxi. They know that won't happen for the vast majority of Uber/Lyft drivers.

It's a reasonable point of view to suggest that in many cities there's been a mutual protection racket between taxi/limo services and the city regulators. The price of New York City taxi medallions (at least $240,000 right now) is Exhibit 1A of that argument. Uber and Lyft have indirectly exposed that corruption, and that's why there's a battle between government/taxi duopolies and the ride-share folks.

My apologies for further sending this topic off the rails... :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You post about strawman arguments (which is a textbook definition hyperbole argument, interestingly enough) and then use a metaphor that insinuates that Uber/Lyft do not provide the exact same service a taxi does.

When your ultralight carries 150 passengers it will require the same certification process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.