1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Clearing Cookies

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by bnlphan, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a theory, belief,....tip hint...what have you at one time that said to clear your cookies on a regular basis if you are making travel plans as the powers that be notice you are searching for particular dates location etc and raise the price based on your searches and you should clear the cookies and browser history on your computer on a regular basis in order to get better rates. Is there any truth to this. I wont bore you with details about reasons I dont want to clear my cookies but I have a lot of information saved I don't want to lose. Just wonder if anyone knows for certain there is any truth to this?

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found differences between phone and desktop prices at times, and, of course, logged in or not logged in.

For a while some were saying that Mac users were getting higher prices than PC users.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's definitely possible to do, you can charge different prices based on all sort of different info that gets exchanged between your own machine and a website when they connect, or as you browse a site. I don't think it happens much now, but it definitely will be happening down the road, it is going to the the big payoff of all the data being collected. Not only target products to you, but extract the maximum price each customer is willing to pay.

4. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've searched prices on total rewards (Caesars) properties. Got a price then the next day searched found prices have gone up. Then I deleted my cookies and searched the rate went back to the lower price.

No resort with LVA coupon
    Everyone's a Winner Contest Freebie
  5. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't you clear cookies just for specific sites without affecting those you don't want to clear?

6. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try going into incognito mode. That's what I do vs clearing cookies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago I was looking at prices and I'd check a few times each week for two or three weeks. I checked one evening, took note of the price and decided the next morning that I'll book it once I get to work. Once I got to work and got a chance to book it the price had gone up.

Same happened to me last week. I was planning on Arriving on November 12. The price at NYNY without logging in was something like $65 or $68 for the first night, November 12. I felt that I had plenty of time so I didn't need to worry about booking it. Then I checked one day last week and saw that it went up to over $350 for the first night. The rest of the week only increased by $3 or $4 per night, but the first night was shocking. Is it because I keep checking prices? I'd like to think that they finally realized that many travelers from Canada will likely have that as a long weekend as Remembrance Day is that weekend so they decided to take advantage of it and I was just unlucky to not book earlier to cancel if a better price came up.

I adjusted the trip by a day (arrive and leave one day later), but we're not sure we want to go that week anymore because it would have been more convenient to get to Vegas on Sunday and leave on Thursday.

8. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, they'll have analytics programs that reads the requests made on their server. They don't need your cookies to determine which days are the most looked at.

9. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience has always been that prices on flights and rental cars fluctuate constantly, whether I toss my cookies or not....

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought if you toss your cookies in a rental car, there was an extra cleaning fee. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. teehuge

teehuge Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try using incognito mode - on your computer

• In the top-right corner of the browser window, select the Menu
      upload_2017-5-29_17-16-39.png or upload_2017-5-29_17-16-39.png
    • Select New Incognito Window (computer) or New incognito tab (mobile).
    • A new window will open with the Incognito icon
      [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.