1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker JOB Strategy for 8/6 Bonus Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by VegasLover8, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

I am a JOB and Bonus VP player. I know it has been mentioned here that JOB strategy works with Bonus.

I read somewhere else that JOB strategy for Bonus Deluxe is also OK. But if I recall correctly, they were talking about 9/6 Bonus Deluxe.

Is it acceptable if it's 8/6 Bonus Deluxe?

2. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tringlomane posted the answer in another thread. If you play 8/6 Bonus Deluxe using 9/6 JOB strategy, you lose 0.034%. So instead of the 98.49% optimal return, your EV drops to 98.46%. I would consider the difference not very significant.

I think he used Frugal Video Poker software for the calculations. I need to figure out how to do that.

3. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, unfortunately the software I downloaded for that won't work as the Wolf VP website disappeared (I think it looks for an ad splash there). I think I might try to redownload another copy on a 3rd party site if I need it again.

The only basic strategy difference between 9/6 and 8/6 Bonus Deluxe, @VegasLover8, is that QJT9 becomes better than a low pair in 8/6.

And 9/6 JoB strategy is very good for either 9/6 or 8/6 Bonus Deluxe. But if you want to slightly improve on the JoB strategy for bonus deluxe you should:

Hold straight draws like DDB:
    Inside Straight Draw w/0 high cards > garbage
    Inside Straight Draw w/2 high cards > 2 offsuit high cards

And (H=high card)
    High Pair > 3 to a Royal that is NOT AHT suited > 4 to a flush > 3 to a Royal AHT suited.

These fairly easy changes will bring you to very near optimal.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Thanks for the replies. Will be trying bonus deluxe on next trip.

According to vpfree, The d has 8/6 (where we currently plan on staying).

The plaza has 9/6 according to vpfree.

6. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll probably find some 8/6 games that aren't listed on vpfree2.

It's working now for me, although it required a few steps. The Wolf splash goes away when I click the X in the upper-right corner.

I used the Wayback Machine at archive.org to download the Frugal VP software from a 2016 cache of the wolfvideopoker dot com web site. Then with the software running, I chose Bonus Poker Deluxe as my machine (you may need to click to display all machines). Under StrategyCharts/Tweak, I chose "Inherit" and selected Jacks 9/6. Then there's an "Analyze" button, which confirmed the numbers you reported.

bonus deluxe job strat analysis.png

One other thing I noticed, if you customize a payoff table, you have to run "Analyze" to enable the StrategyCharts menu.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the D does have 8/6 Bonus Deluxe (98.49%) at the long bar, it also has 7/5 ACE$ Bonus (98.25%) if you want to play a Bonus Poker game at the long bar. Avoid Bonus at Long Bar as bonus is garbage 10/8/5/3/1/1 (94.18%). But if you're a quarter player, 8/5 Bonus with the 3 way progressive at Vue Bar upstairs is even a better choice. After the progressives, the game is positive a majority of the time. And on a recent TR, I saw the Vue Bar had Space Dust Double IPA and comped it. It's a very good beer if you like IPAs, imo. ;)

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  8. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of my February trip, the Plaza has plenty of 9/6 BDLX at .25/.50/$1 denomination.

I played some and got totally whacked.

9. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Yes my plan is to run/earn as much as much as I can on the $5 FP for every 50pts ACG coupon 1 day and the LVA MRB the next day at the Vue bar. Then play the free play earned on the Bonus Deluxe at the Long bar.

I do enjoy my craft beers, but I lean towards the malty stuff. I love my Belgians - especially quads and dubbels. But I have been slowly embracing IPAs. So I will definitely try the Space Dust (though it is a double IPA) if they still are serving them when I go at the end of September.

10. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same at GG, that Bonus game duped me once when I was there, it is a very sneaky evil pay table. More evil than the X/X/4 Bonus....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.