1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can somebody tell me about uber

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by exit272hoo, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exit272hoo

exit272hoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we arrive on sw on Sunday for the flamingo and have a $20 discount code. Never used them before. Thanks

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will be arriving at terminal 1, the Uber pick up area for T1 is in the parking garage on level 2M (Excalibur level). That is the only place Uber and Lyft are allowed to pick up at McCarran.

It only takes 2-3 minutes for an Uber driver to arrive at the pick up area from the staging lot. Please don't request an Uber driver while still on the plane or waiting for luggage to come off the carrousel. Doing so just makes the driver wait in the pick up area longer than necessary.

Drivers must pull into a numbered spot in the pick up area before a passenger can load into the vehicle. That's an airport regulation and the driver can be issued a $200 citation for violation.

The parking spots are numbered (A1-A7 through F1-F10). You can contact your driver or your driver can contact you with the spot number he/she is parked in. Makes it a lot easier to locate your driver, especially when it's very busy.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you take the escalator up one level at Door #2 (in the baggage claim area) it will save you from dealing with the crosswalk at the taxi area. You will still have to go up one more level once you get in the parking garage.

As Cajun mentioned, wait till you get to the staging area before requesting a ride. One Uber driver told me he had a passenger request a ride while still on the plane and the pick-up location was pinned somewhere on the back side of the air port.

5. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That happened to me once, I pulled into a spot at the pick up area then I get a text message from the passenger that they were still on the plane and just taxiing in.

I should have cancelled, they get charged a $5 cancellation fee, which the driver gets paid, minus Uber's cut and picked up another passenger.

But no, being the nice guy that I am I waited for them, 20 minutes after I pulled into the pick up area they showed up, plus the 10 minutes I waited in the staging lot for the ride request.

Yes, over 30 minutes wasted to pick up a passenger, with luggage going to the Flamingo, which I get a whopping $6 from Uber for that trip and they didn't tip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is wrong with people. I was on a plane recently and just as we landed he calls the car shuttle. What a jerk. It is at least another 10 minutes to get to the gate, then through the airport... I only hope he did not have to get bags.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate to be a jerk, but as an Uber/Lyft driver I'm going to start hitting that CANX icon at the 5 minute mark and they can pay me the cancellation fee.

I usually give the passenger 2-3 minutes after I arrive to show up, if they aren't there I'll send a text and give them an additional 5 minutes after the text is sent. If still a no show after that then I cancel and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't drive in Vegas but drive in my home city and do something similar. I will wait a minute or two, then send a text, then given minutes after the text, I cancel and collect my fee.

What shocked me is if I read a post of yours correctly, you only have to wait about 10 minutes at the staging lot. In my city, your waiting for over an hour in the staging lot typically, which is why I refuse to do airport rides.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Uber wait time in the staging lot is typically 10 minutes or less. With Lyft that's another story, wait time for Lyft only driver's could be an hour or more.

I enter the staging lot with both Uber and Lyft apps online I almost always, better than 99% of the time get an Uber ping before Lyft.

We have a joke here in Las Vegas about the drivers that drive for Lyft only and stage at the airport. They are the ones that break out the BBQ grills and have time for a tailgate party while waiting for a Lyft ping.

Uber drivers barely have time to go to the bathroom when staging at the airport. Uber drivers have to take their phones to the bathroom with them because there is a good chance they will get an Uber ping in the process.

10. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our airport anyone that shows up on either platform might as well plan on eating lunch and hanging out for awhile. Almost makes Vegas sound amazing as a driver.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We definitely stay busy out here, especially at night, any night of the week. The later it gets the busier it gets, there's two seasons in Vegas, busy and busier.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Texas Steph

Texas Steph A Work in Progress...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be requesting a Lyft when I arrive in Vegas on Monday... it would be funny if you happened to be my driver! (I'm gonna ask the driver if he posts on a Vegas blog, more than likely I will just get a weird look) ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May I ask your opinion on an Uber issue? 1) the share a ride feature -- i requested a shared ride from the downtown grand to Orleans. i think the driver canceled because he could not find another passenger and i got charged a cancel fee. they said that they credited my account, but i don't see it anywhere on the app.
    2) if the app comes back and says i will be waiting 10-13 minutes, will i be charged if i cancel?
    i have used bother uber and lyft. it is better than a taxi, but the app for both are far from perfect.
    thank you for your input.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) There could be several reasons a driver cancels a ride after accepting it. It could be that after accepting it the driver finds out that it's long drive, say like 10-15 minutes away to the pick up location and doesn't want to drive that far empty. Also there is a conspiracy among some drivers to protest UberPOOL and LyftLINE rides by canceling them. I'm not one of them, I accept and complete all shared ride requests I get offered. If these protest drivers keep up with this practice I'm sure Uber and Lyft will find a way to penalize them for it.

2) You will be charged a cancellation fee if you cancel the ride more than 5 minutes after you requested it. If you cancel less than 5 minutes after you request the ride you should not be charged a cancellation fee. It doesn't matter how far away or near your driver is located, it only depends on the 5 minute rule.

I agree that the apps for both Uber and Lyft are far from perfect. I also use Uber and Lyft as a passenger and I can tell you from a driver and rider perspective that the app issues are far worse for the drivers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cajun...quick question for you - do I need to specify "no tunnel" with Uber drivers, just as I would with a cab?
    Also - I had a driver in Dallas screw up on the route, costing me an extra 6 miles or so, plus an extra 20 minutes (it was rush hour).
    Fare ended up about $7 more than the estimate...no big deal...
    I'm not going to ask for any refund, but I'm curious if Uber would refund some portion in such a circumstance.

Annual Spring Trip!
  16. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can always specify which route you want your driver to take, tunnel or no tunnel, it's your choice. Uber and Lyft emphasize to drivers to ask if the passenger has a preferred route.

If you should happen to get a driver that does not respect your request, that's what the rating system is for. Give that driver a rating you feel is appropriate and add a comment for Uber or Lyft to read.

NOTE: When you do give a driver a rating below 5* and add a negative comment, the driver doesn't see the comments. This protects the passenger from any possible retaliation by the driver. But Uber and Lyft keeps those comments on file and if that driver continues the same behavior he will eventually get deactivated.

If your trip had excessive charges due to a longer route taken, yes Uber and Lyft will adjust your fare to the most efficient route and refund you the difference.

I've done it twice where I missed a turn and had to take the passenger on a longer route. In both cases I apologized to the passenger and informed them that I would contact customer support for a fare adjustment.

Ironically both customers said oh that's okay don't worry about. I still contacted customer support and got their fare reduced to what it should have been.

17. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check this out, yesterday I go to the McCarran staging lot, 101 Uber drivers and 102 Lyft drivers staging. I enter the lot with both apps online, 15 minutes later I got an Uber ping. That's how busy it was at the airport yesterday, 101 cars moved out in 15 minutes. I can only imagine what today, Friday before Memorial Day, is going to be like.

IMG_1242.PNG IMG_1245.PNG

18. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is Uber/Lyft any different from a taxi as to where the passenger sits? Most people sit in the back seat of a taxi (actually, I don't always sit in the back unless the driver specifies for me to do so). Do most people do the same in Uber or Lyft?

19. Ghandi

Ghandi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pretty much always sit in the back of an uber/lyft unless it's a full car or it's something where I won't really fit in the back. I've never had a driver tell me where to sit or that my choice was wrong.

20. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tmoney...my last Uber ride, the driver invited me to sit up front if I wanted... I chose the back seat... so, I suspect that it's at the driver's discretion.

Annual Spring Trip!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.