1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A nice mother's day special at the grocery store

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No kids here but the local Piggly Wiggly had a Mother's Day special. Two five oz fillets, two 6 oz, cold water lobster tails for a total of $19.99.

Fired up the grill today for the first time this season and did both on there. I don't claim to be a grill-master, but both came out perfect and timed correctly to eat all at once, along with a grilled sweet corn for each of us.

I needed something to go right. Buried my 2nd brother and sister in law yesterday. Second brother to die in 17 days. Damn, I need a vacation! I now have enough excuses to drink! :(

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where's the pics of the food?

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those are pretty good Mother's Day specials! Wish they had those here where I live.

Glad to see you bravely soldiering on despite the tragic passing of your brothers and sister in law. I know they will be missed, and surely when you go on your Vegas trips since you used to accommodate them by using your comps.

Savor those fond memories to help you get through the pain of their loss.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems to be a trend . My supermarket was full of surf and turf stuff yesterday, too.

5. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sympathies to your family, Joe.
    Going on the surf side here - family coming over to celebrate Mother's Day and b-days of our youngest son and another son's wife. Working on a seafood boil of shrimp, blue crab and mussels, with red potatoes, corn on the cob and whole baby portabella mushrooms thrown in also.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine had Filet Mignon for $4.99/lb. They also had a special where if you buy 2 bottles of Martini and Rossi Spumante, you get a dozen roses free. Still ended up buying a greek dinner for mom from the grocery store because she took pity on me and absolved me from cooking dinner.

7. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

8. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for your loss Joe. My mother died Monday at the nursing home she had been in for 2 years. My sister and I decided to put her on hospice May 2- she had a big stroke May 3, got Hospice set up May4th, her birthday was May 5th and she died May 8th. My first Mother's Day without her.

I didn't pay attention to any Mother's Day sales this week.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for your loss.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, Joe. :( But good score on the chow. Gotta keep going forward.

My mom died nine months ago today, so our first Mother's Day without her. She loved Mexican food and Chardonnay, so I made chile verde for our dinner and Terri raided the wine unit for mom's fave Chardonnay. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yea, I'll keep moving forward. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the lemonade, but the doc did prescribe something for the sleepless nights. That and two glasses of wine is helping. Same thing a different doc prescribed for my sister in law, but it sure didn't work last night for me.

It really sucks when you hear the clock in the family room chime every hour between midnight and 7 when you are trying to get to sleep. Not that the clock is too loud, just that you know another hour passed by and you are still awake.

Thank goodness it is not a Westminster chime every 15 minutes.

I'm good, well not really, but thanks to VMB for kind thoughts. At both funerals a different nephew got up to talk about their dad and in the second one, the joint funeral, both his mom and dad. I couldn't have done it. I had the waterworks turned on just sitting in the chapel listening to them.

I told my wife she better not die before me because I would be a blabbering idiot trying to stand there and talk. She said no worries. Just cremate me and don't have a service. I told her do the same for me.

My oldest brother, now passed, maintained that the funeral and service was for the survivors to grieve. I ain't buying it. The open bar and the food at both services was very good and at least there were no caskets. I hate that ritual. Oh boy, I'm rambling again. Time to sign off.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I went to funeral home on Monday and made my own arrangements, mainly because I want to make sure I end up in Arlington.

No viewing. Just a shake and bake. If anyone comes, they can see a photo of me from when the was 20 and happy.
    They even offer an installment plan.

Now I have to find some decent photos of myself.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now maybe I got the story mixed up with all the emotions going around, but my dead brother's wife told me that my brother, who was a retired Air Force Colonel, could not get his ashes into Arlington because there was no more room.

14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not true at all. There are not a whole lot burial plots, but there are walls that stretch all over for ashes, literally thousands.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. Just not the right time to start a inquiry about what she said. Your explanation sounds more plausible.

16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure you have plenty. --

I have several family members buried at Fort Sam in San Antonio. Both sets of Grandparents, my father, my stepfather was cremated and placed in one of their crematory vault/stands. As I said my mother just passed away. I picked up her remains yesterday -- currently they are in a dresser drawer. As per her wishes when she was of a sane mind - she will be interned with my step-father. A couple of years ago when her dementia was starting to get worse she told me she either wanted to be buried with her parents or my father. I laughed and told her she could not be buried with her parents and she divorced my father so she couldn't be buried there either. Come to find out an ex can be buried on top of the ex spouse -- as long as the ex-military individual had not remarried. -- I find that just a little disrespectful. I loved both of my parents - but my mother was the one that left. I could not envision putting her on top of my Dad.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom is still sitting on top of my dresser. Well, so to say. She wasn't so caught up in the bullshit of what happens when you're dead. We're going to let her enjoy the Rose Garden in Portland, her favorite vineyard here and her beloved Colorado River in Laughlin, and when the empty jar goes in the wall at Riverside National, she would've said we did good.

When you're dead, you're dead. If we don't have love and respect when we're here, find forgiveness when some aren't, who gives a fuck where the bones and dust do when we're gone?

Silly fucking traditions. Silly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was wondering how things were going Joe. Been thinking of you.

I ended up with an A & W bacon cheeseburger from the Neillsville drive-thru on Mother's Day after spending several hours with mom at the hospital in Marshfield. She wasn't diagnosed properly 5 months ago - what was supposedly a groin strain was actually Staphylococcus aureus and her entire hip bone was infected and the bone was partially destroyed. (Not a 'bad' diagnosis - the scan display was 'non-specific'. So 4 months in the nursing home for therapy was actually pointless. They removed the destroyed bone (actually 2 surgeries) and now she is back in a nursing home again - this time well over an hour away - as no weight can be put on the leg until the hip is replaced in 3 1/2 to 4 months.

I have to thank the local nurse who felt she needed more (this time local hospital felt it was pneumonia) and pushed to have her transferred. Otherwise I guess the infection can get to a point where it can't be reversed. She was already in sepsis or septic shock when they moved her. Not sure she would have made it if they had kept her locally.

I'm just glad I didn't spend this Mother's Day without her. If Nurse Heather hadn't pushed for the move & if the Dr hadn't agreed, I could easily be.

Please take care of yourself Joe. With all you have gone through the last few weeks make sure you are resting, eating right and not wearing yourself down.

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I don't agree. It is VERY important to me that I end up in Arlington.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't have to agree, Breeze!! It's still America!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.