1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Going for a run in Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by carefree1974, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carefree1974

carefree1974 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Odd question, but can anyone recommend a good location for getting a jog in? The strip is too busy and from googling I think Red Rock Canyon looks good but any advice/recommendations welcome.

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What time were you thinking? Some guys on Reddit were just talking about running on the strip early morning and the consensus was that it's not too busy early am. I was looking at my window from TI last week mid-week somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 am and I noticed quite a few runners heading south and the streets were pretty open. By 10:30 am things were picking up and starting to get busy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that early morning the strip is an option as there aren't many people out and about. Saw many people on jogs last week.

4. emmada

emmada Vegas addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Running on the Strip is in my bucket list. Hope to do it in October.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw several runners at Red Rock this week.

6. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get a strip run in every trip if not 2. Start by 8 am and be done by 9 and you will have no problem with crowds. Be prepared for the steps and do not worry about pace as it will be a little slower then your effort suggest. It is a great little run not the same scenery as red rock but still good.

Sons 21st birthday trip
  8. kaeldon23

kaeldon23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to get a few good runs in during my trips to counteract some of the harm I'm doing to my body during the rest of the trip. Here are a few of my favorites:

Lone Mountain Loop - Desert/Mountain 3.3 mile loop. Park at Lone Mountain Discovery Park and take trail head around the mountain, then up the west face and back down, then finish the loop back to the discovery park.

Summerlin Village Trail - Urban 3.5 mile out and back. Park at Merryhill school and take sidewalk north to the trail head on the right. Walk/jog to and around Summerlin Center then back.

Pittman Wash Trail - Urban 8 mile out and back. Park at Arroyo Grande Sports Complex and take trail head from the northwest side of park. Trail ends abruptly at Pebble Road.

Amargosa Trail - Urban/Nature 6 mile out and back. Park on the side of East Mission Drive at the corner of Fortacre St. Hike north to Shaded Canyon drive where the trail becomes a sidewalk. Walk north, take a left onto W Horizon Ridge Parkway, right onto Paseo Verde Parkway, then you'll see the trail continue again on the right at a park. Trail ends at South Gibson Rd.

• Like Like x 1
  9. carefree1974

carefree1974 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rock n'roll marathon is on my bucket list down the strip. Hopefully soon or maybe the 1/2 this November.

Thanks for the tips, will make some plans based on the above.

10. jamie1983

jamie1983 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally love running the strip, gotta get out there early in the AM. It's great people watching...mix of early risers and people still going from the night before. I also heard there is a really cool trail that goes through some old railroad tunnels. It's on my list to check out.

I'll be running the vegas 1/2 this year. Looking forward to that race!

11. kaeldon23

kaeldon23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is near Lake Mead and is a great trail if you don't mind the 40 minute drive out there. You can hear the bats overhead as you run through the tunnels. Make sure to get there early since it gets very hot by noon. Here's a link to the details: https://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/hikerr.htm

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jamie1983

jamie1983 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey thanks for that! I'm hoping to check it out this fall

13. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also there are several races (marathon, half, and shorter distances) include the railroad tunnels:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/nevada-six-tunnels-hoover-dam-half-marathon-5k-1-mile/

http://www.bbscrun.com/hoover-dam-marathon

14. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Running the strip seems to be somewhat common to do. I attended a conference at Aria in 2015 and I stayed at NYNY and on the early morning walk over each day I saw several people out for their daily jog. The streets weren't very busy at that time, most of the people out were people who were running.

15. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 AM on the strip - I try at least one of those runs per trip.

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
  16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

A lot depends on where you are staying and if you have a car. Lately, I've been running south from the Strip and doing a loop around McCarran airport. From intersection of Flamingo and LV Blvd, it's about 12 miles round trip.
    Last month, I also did the Flamingo Arroyo Wash trail. You pick it up near Eastern Ave and Twain and head east. It goes over roads and continues several miles well past Sam Boyd Stadium into the desert.

17. ScubaStever

ScubaStever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are interested in a group trail run, check out the Facebook group TrailRunning.Vegas because Mondays and Wednesdays they normally have runs. Wednesday is a morning and evening run. If you anyone is on Strava, pm me for my name and I have runs in Red Rock, the Wetlands, the mountains up Lee Canyon road, the Railroad Tunnel Trail and Snow Canyon Utah with pics from my trip last month where I ran in 6 different spots.
    IMG_20170424_102436449.jpg IMG_20170420_104301616.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.