1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So, how did airline devolution come about?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by deansrobinson, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. The Baboo and I are are flying to Las Vegas in less than two weeks. Part of the deal we made for that trip was that we would drive to California to visit her sister & BIL for a couple of weeks sometime this summer. So some of us still do both.

2. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last 2 trips to Vegas I drove to PHX for a day to see friends .I really enjoyed that drive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The flight crew were not passengers, they were flying on company buisness. According to what I have read, it was in there union contract that deadheading would be on an aircraft.

You never mentioned length. However how many people do you really think book those fares? There are listed for one reason only, click bait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, a different outcome.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My return flight was a clusterfuck. With the plane about half loaded, someone decided one of the tires needed to be replaced. So that added 1:15, then they finished boarding, but they made it a cattle call so there was zero order or timeliness to the process. Call that an unnecessary :15-:20 minute at on. We finally get out to the tarmac and an inbound plane has declared an emergency. Now nothing happened on landing but emergency services had to "sweep" the runway. Plus 0:25. Weather was a concern so we skirted more southerly than usual, and we had some killer headwinds. Plus :30.

Several people on the flight had TIGHT connections at LAX, including three changing carriers and going to Oz. The lead flight attendant made an announcement prior to landing that they'd appreciate it if folks would remain seated until those with tight connections had deplaned. From the mad rush to jump into the aisle and start riffling through the overheads, I'd say 93% of those on the flight had "tight connections."

Seems to me that is a point for some captain-of-the-craft authority to be dispensed. On the other hand, self-serving putative adults could've acted like adults of their own volition.

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One time when we flew through Denver (I think), the stew made a tight connection request and about a dozen people got off while the rest of us waited. The stew mentioned the specific destinations involved, which may have helped.

Talk about sardines. In March we flew with the U-Dub men's basketball team from SeaTac to Vegas. No one complained about anything on that flight. Other problems must have seemed petty by comparison.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Especially when there is that waffle house just outside of St. Louis

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all know what was meant by that...

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. G21G17

G21G17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still remember my first and only Greyhound ride. 13 years old by myself to go visit my cousin. I take my seat and a couple of minutes later, a guy wearing a jean jacket, wife beater, jeans with a bandanna tied around the knee, long hair (think 80s rockstar) comes and sits next to me. A few minutes later, a very pretty 19-20 year old brunette wearing a cutoff shirt gets on and walks to the seats in front of us. I notice her but don't stare. I'm listening to my Walkman, looking out the window when the rocker guy elbows me. I look at him and he motions with his eyes in front of us. I look and there's the girl putting her bag into the overhead bin and whadda know...she's braless. That was a first for me.

A short time later, rocker guy is letting me listen to his Walkman that has one of the best rock mixes I've heard to this day including my first listen of Guns N' Roses and he's sitting with the girl one row ahead. He briefly comes back to our row, smiles and pulls out a little baggie that I'm pretty sure was 'shrooms and heads back up front.

He almost got off the bus before I could return his Walkman. Girl stayed on until my stop and was picked up by what I assume to be her grandparents.

So yeah...you never forget. Not even the 200 mile trips.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also more blurring on work/life balance now. I love a road trip, but now I look at "how much time can I take off work."

Personally, since it's more and more of a sin to take time off work, people try to make travel time minimal...ergo packed planes versus road trips.

I'd love to drive to vegas, and if retired, I might.

But for now?

I'd rather have a few hours of misery than lose a 4 days of precious time off for a round trip drive. :(

I'm betting I'm not the only one, which is part of the problem...airlines know this...which means they can leverage supply/demand ratios to their advantage. And this includes cramming seats tighter and tighter...with higher prices...with many planes charging for even ONE checked bag...despite higher prices.

Speaking of prices, I could be a grandma, but I DON'T think airfare is cheaper than ever. Rare are the $69 one way trips to Vegas from Seattle or Portland, instead you're paying $140 -250 (or more) one way, on southwest. When I get $120 one way, I'm stoked!

And yes...I walked to school...in the dark, for 5 miles, in the snow...with bare feet!

(Content removed for being a tangent!)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  11. dcrawf

dcrawf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deregulation of the airline industry back in the 80's (or was it the 70's?) changed everything. Before that, flying was a luxury service. Often cost $1000 going coast to coast. Service was actually important. Food was good and plentiful. Movies on the flight were a big deal and nobody had even thought of baggage fees.

The only thing people care about now is price. Period. Hence the reason crappy airlines like Spirit and Frontier are thriving. Yes, great for quick trips if you can get where you need to go with just a small carryon but otherwise a major pain in the ass. Flew Spirit home to Cleveland on frequent flyer miles. 2 of us.....$41 for taxes (gov't cut), $60 for some internal company "upgrade" (this was a wash as it cut bag fees and will earn "profits" for trips booked into fall), plus (still) $105 for baggage fees as my then-fiancee, now wife overpacked as she flew in from Hong Kong and brought along multiple overweight luggage

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And it wasn't surprising, either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After 30+ years of flying extensively for business and leisure, it's been disheartening to see what air travel has become. Post 9/11 TSA security theater and the rash of airline bankruptcies that followed have changed it forever. Nowadays the constant ebb of niceties is somewhat akin to boiling a frog by slowly increasing the temperature of the water they're in. Meals, nope not included. Seat pitch, we're going to slice an inch or two every year. Seats on the plane, we're putting more of them in there. Customer service, we have it but we're taking away their ability to do much in the way of accommodating the customer. Crew, we're going to schedule them so tightly that one late flight can affect 12 flights the same day. Competition, we're all racing to the bottom and our bottom line is going so up soooooooooooooooooo, that must mean we're right. Blech.

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I wonder if there is a customer who is willing to pay more for actual service. The ones who can afford it are finding ways to go private but things are so locked up that it would be difficult to start a new airline that offered something different.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not disagreeing with the overall premise, but it is a big leap price-wise between having jet shares and the cost of getting better stuff from the heritage carriers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wisdom.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's the acronym WFBF (Want First, Buy First). After years upon years of chasing airline status, I gave up on total loyalty to any one carrier. Now I travel hack my way to the front of the plane via the best method I can deploy. So, yeah, I'll pay for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shouldn't you be starting a thread about your lunch?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paradise Cafe in Santa Barbara!! Then McConnell's for ice cream!! Followed by Foley Wine Bar at Bacara for a spot of wine!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've decided and am lucky enough that I fly when the time is convenient for me out of the airport that is most convenient for me. My time, comfort and piece of mind are worth more than saving extra dollars to find the lowest fare. As a guy in a DINK household I've come to find first class is the only way to go. We'll see if that changes if I ever have kids. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.