1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is the CDN Exchange Rate Holding You Back?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by DonnyC, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took a look at the exchange rate today and saw that $1USD would cost me about $1.39CDN.

Now there is always the argument that "Vegas is still cheaper than other places", and although that can be true, I'm not comparing a Vegas trip to a trip somewhere else. I am asking, if the high USD is stopping people from going to Vegas.

2. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not stopping, but making me try to get best deals or scrimp and save on other stuff to save up!

Free flights. Booked at NYNY, looking for better deals to re-book. May possibly save by going across the street to Excalibur but I don't really want to do that. Last time we decided to just book a nicer room, possibly at a nicer hotel, but we're just getting basic room at our favorite property.

Buying parents and wife's parents US cash for on par with CDN dollar (feel guilty but they won't have it any other way... I suspect my Dad will just wind up giving me his anyway).

Not doing any other trips throughout the year. Going camping close to home instead of a family trip where we have to book a room(s) big enough for our family.

3. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked my up coming trip a couple months back and was slowly buying USD as time went on but need to get another $1100 USD, it's going to cost me just over $1500 CDN. Not sure after this trip how quick I will be going back to Vegas.

Ernie

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is not stopping me (yet) but it sure isn't helping. :(

5. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the Dollar was close to par I was going 3 times a year.
    Now that the exchange is horrible I go once a year.
    So it is slowing me down but not enough to completely stop going YET

6. Canuckgem

Canuckgem Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saved a lump sum of CAD cash and last month when the exchange rate spiked up for 24 hours I managed to race to my bank and exchange it. Got $ at 27%. Now saving again and watching the rates. I hope it goes up at least a few points before my August trip. Finding I have to be more vigilant in watching rates this time around. Is it stopping me from going? No. But may have to rethink plans to go back in December.

7. Brad8173

Brad8173 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question comes up regularly and after looking at my habits the exchange rate barely impacts me - hear me out.

My flight is in CAD & rooms usually comped = no impact. I don't "consume" a great deal, so besides some f&b and resort fees, the exchange does not impact me.

As far as gambling goes, YES I have to purchase USD $$$ but this only means that I m gambling in larger amounts - instead of my USD $10 wager equalling $10 CAD when at par, now it is $13 CAD. So not losing on FX, I am just gambling a little more per hand!

As long as food/drink/shopping is at a minimum the FX rate does not bother me at all.

B

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. stavmet2030

stavmet2030 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The exchange rate has never been a deal breaker for me.

9. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was nice though getting $100 seats for the Toronto Indy Car race for about $72 a couple weeks back :) 3 tickets = almost $90 saved.

When the dollar was weak and we were younger, it definitely impacted us going to Toronto for shopping and stuff.

Be vigilant; do your research and keep an ear out for good prices - you'll (all) get there!

I'm sure most of you know but if not, make sure you play MyVegas - I had a couple good runs and scored our stay at Vdara practically for free (stupid resort fees) - $200 / night room is all the more you can spend on a show or dinner or whatever. I only played for 3 months or so to get up to that - just gotta score a bit of luck and keep at it.

10. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, I don't get free flights...so flights are about $450CDN. Not getting much room discounts so rooms for 4 nights are close to $500CDN. I have 1.5 million LPs in MyVegas, so if I can get a 2 comp night comp that would help. I understand that a $10 wager will equal (close to) $14...what that means is all things considered equal, the playing time is decreased.

If the flights or the room came down (flights never do from here) then I'd be more likely to consider it. But everything cost 1.4 times the amount sure is making me tap the breaks.

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It changes the budget at the least.

Recently I've been travel hacking for the flights, and hotel is a good deal in spite of the exchange rate. But meals/golf/rental car are getting rough, and gambling stakes feeling higher.

12. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going. In fact, I'm going from one trip per year to 2 starting in about 5 weeks. Yes, the worst moment is when I convert CAD$ into US$. However, I've found that the currency exchange places have better rates than the major banks. In fact the one around me knows to beat the rate of one of their competitors when they see me.

I also did something this trip that I've never done before. I had booked my hotel and locked in the price. I'm going with my BIL and while he doesn't get the rates that I do, he mentioned that he thought the prices were going down. On a lark, I decided to call Bally's reservations to see if I could get a better deal. In fact, that is what I told them.
    She shaved another $50 US off.

Ultimately, I guess all this comes under the heading of "if you don't ask, you don't get".

I need a vacation from my vacations
  13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are looking at it all wrong, when you hit those big jackpots(in US $), just think how many canadian $'s that will convert to?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but now the US government is withholding more of my soon to be Canadian dollars.

15. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the US withholding, you're going to only break a little above even...IF you hit a jackpot.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought you guys can opt out with some kind of proof you're canadian?

17. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fortunately my March trip was a winner so my bankroll is set for the next trip.

18. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that is Brits. AFAIK Canadians get 30% withheld, and can file a return if they have offsetting losses.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just the opposite for us. Caesars Windsor is getting more play and we do love the place anyway. Heading there this Saturday for a purse giveaway for Michelle.............Rick

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.