1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone from Victoria, BC? (Or quite familiar with cycling in the area.)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any experience with the Lochside Regional Trail?

What about the Galloping Goose Regional Trail? I see most of it is gravel. If I puts my 30s on my roader would that suffice?

How about food recs in and around the Inner Harbor/core?

Thanks!!

2. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Vancouver, but have spent a lot of time in and around Victoria. I know that the cycling trails are very popular and you can go a long way on them (all the way to the ferry to the mainland).

I'll defer to any Victoria natives, but will keep an eye on the thread. If you don't get any other replies, I'll weigh in.

Btw, some great golf courses in the area. Victoria GC is known as "the Pebble Beach of the NW". There's a McKenzie Tour event at one and a Champions Tour event at another.

Cheers, GG

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would love to have your input on grub, GG. Thanks.

We'll have our sticks -- I'll be toward the back end of a one-month PNW road trip extravaganza of golf, grub, bike and brew -- and I know a few folks in the industry on the island. I had not heard of VGC, so thanks.

4. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have any plans of heading further north on the island, Storey Creek is a great and secluded course outside Campbell River....another to consider in this area is Glacier Greens at Comox, this one is right next to the airport so you could have both military and/or commercial aircraft coming and going as your round goes.............there are a lotttt of nice courses on this island!

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't advise on the cycling.

Trying my darndest to remember the restaurants as I was there last year and had a couple good meals. This lack of memory may be in part to a very nice selection of local craft beers. Experiment liberally.

Nautical Nellies ... had the Paella and quite liked it. My sister gave the Oysters her seal of approval
    Pescatore's .... looks like this has been rebranded 10 Acres, and the menu now looks unfamiliar.
    We had drinks and lunch at Steamship Grill. Great location, sadly I don't remember the food. We left happy, but nothing stands out.
    And of course Tea at the Empress was a lot of fun.

+1 to Storey Creek for Comox area golf. Edit: Whoops, just doublecheck the old golf thread for my comments on it, and Ken recommended it to me, lol.

6. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't checked out the VGC website, do it. The holes on the water are spectacular. You might need to "know somebody" to get on it.

Re food - here are a few suggestions. Check out the locations of Google Maps:

1) Pagliacci's - Italian. Been around awhile.

2) The Keg - more upscale. Part of a large chain (you may have visited others).

3) Ithaka - Greek. A bit away from the Inner Harbour, but well worth a visit.

4) Sticky Wicket Pub - as the name says, 'pub' style. Great atmosphere, good food.

Lots of places to choose from. You really can't go wrong.

Let me know what you think of VGC if you get to play (or even see) it.

Have fun!

GG

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am having a lot of trouble picturing Ken at The Keg.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, you must be looking at the gluten-free menu.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Greek, like Italian, like steak and like pub. Keep it coming. Is there a good izakaya 'round there???

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, VGC's setting does look stunning. I'm just not sure about golf on the island. I'm playing three weeks solid for the most part leading up to that part of the excursion, but it ultimately will turn on how many days we'll be over there. And that is predicated on the when and how of our route home. I'm trying to convince Terri to cut short the Seattle ending, and then instead of her flying home she cruises back with me and we hit Bandon.

11. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, VGC is special. I know some members if that helps. Where are you playing before then?

I like the Bandon idea ... I was there about 3 years ago and really liked it.

GG

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I'll let you know.

Bend: Tetherow, Brasada Ranch, Black Butte Big Meadow, Crosswater, Widgi Creek
    Portland: Waverley, Portland Golf Club and I might make a day trip down to Tokatee
    Whistler: Fairmont Whistler, Nicklaus North, and Whistler or hopefully Big Sky
    If we stay in Seattle long enough: Chambers

Yep, Bandon is special, the real deal. Bucket list all the way.

13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pagliacci's - Italian. Been around awhile, for good reason. Was going to recommend this. It's small and gets very busy. Very good for lunch or dinner. Always go there when in Victoria, which is not so often now.

Ithaca, we went there and were very disappointed.

Will try to think of others.

14. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got a recommendation for the Irish Times Pub on Government St. These folks always eat here on their trips to the west.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.

We've decided to add an Olympic NP visit 'tween Victoria and Seattle.

16. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't been there before, be sure to go up to Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles. Great views if clear.

GG

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, GG. I've been there but that was eons ago. And Terri's never been. We'll do Rainier, too.

This thing is really shaping up as an epic golf/cycling/see-it-all road trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.