1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Keep SW Steakhouse for Anniversary Or Is There Something Better?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Vegasworm, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi VMBers,

Planning that all important anniversary dinner when the hubby and I stay at Wynncore for the first time this summer! :feedme:

We currently have a 6pm reservation at SW Steakhouse on Monday, 6/26 which is our actual anniversary. I'm not thrilled with that time, but it seemed better than the only other time showing on Open Table which was 5:30pm. :cry:(And yes, I realize I could call the restaurant directly to ask about other times!)

We will be driving from Ogden, UT that day where the kids will have been dropped off the day before with grandparents. Plan to stop at Frankie's Tiki Room when we arrive in town for some drinks, and so I can add two more Tiki mugs to my collection. :drunk: After that, we'll check into Encore for a short 3 night stay.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something better that could be had around 8pm or so. I've always wanted to try SW, however, and I don't mind keeping that if enough people chime in that it's a good anniversary choice. We'll be on property for three nights and it would be nice to do a meal there one of those nights, but it doesn't have to be on our anniversary night.

A little more input from me:
    • Would like to stick to a budget of no more than around $500 all in (food, drinks, tip) if possible. Less than that is just fine!
    • We've eaten at Sinatra and Wing Lei on property, so those are off the table for our anniversary dinner since we're hoping for something new.
    • We don't have to stay on property for our anniversary meal, we just don't want to repeat other places we've done (Picasso, Oscar's, Hugo's, Pamplemousse, Giada's) that are somewhat nice places.
    • Looking for something that's special in terms of drinks, food, service, and ambiance and is somewhere we haven't dined before.
    • We are not super adventurous culinary people, but we do enjoy good food. We're just not seeking caviar, foie gras, or funky animal parts. We're also not big sushi fans. Basic Cow, Chicken, Pig, Seafood is good!
    • Any type of food is fine....it doesn't have to be a steakhouse.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've combed past threads on fine dining, anniversaries, steakhouses, etc. and have some good backup ideas. I just appreciate new ideas especially if they can be weighed against SW Steakhouse.

Cheers!
    Vegasworm

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would try the teppanyaki at Mizumi instead. Its in your budget and better than SW

I Need Spa
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are wanting steak, SW is amazing. it's hard to say there is another steakhouse that is better. other great ones are slightly different (atmosphere, preparation, etc) but hard to say any of the top tier are better than the others at that tier, aside from your own personal preferences.

I would think this is an ideal place for your anniversary dinner and you should be fine to fit within your budget unless you are drinking really expensive wine (or several bottles!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love SW Steakhouse, and I think you've made a great choice. The only problem with a 5:30 PM time is that you might not be able to see the Lake of Dreams show, since it starts after dusk, which would probably be around 7:30 PM.

You should be able to stay within $500, unless you both drink like fish. The Chili-Rubbed Double Ribeye is a must-get, and it is also plenty of food for two people. As far as the appetizers and sides, you can see their menu here to get an idea on the selection and prices: http://www.visitwynn.com/documents/SW_Steakhouse.pdf?_ga=1.38174240.2090353498.1415293014

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestion, we've definitely considered there before and might do so this time.

I love steak, so I've always wanted to try out SW. We may bump our budget a bit depending on what wine we choose, but we aren't the type to buy super insanely priced bottles. I appreciate your input!

The Chili-Rubbed Double Ribeye is exactly what I've been eyeballing. I've read so many good reviews on it! Yes, we do drink like fish, but we won't be doing all of our drinking at SW. Having seen the Lake of Dreams show before, missing it at dinner won't make or break it for us. Thanks for your input!

Vegasworm

6. Bellbad

Bellbad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might look at Michael's Gourmet Room at Southpoint. The food is very good and the service is better than anywhere we've tried including Picasso, Pamplemousse, SW, Hugos, Sinatra, Wing Lei. Michael's would be a great place to celebrate an anniversary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is very little better than SW anywhere. I wouldn't even bother looking unless you don't really feel like steak.

And I would call them about a later reservation. I think they only really ever put the early times on Open Table.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stick with SW, doesn't get much better than that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1.... I'd stay with SW... Will be having dinner there with my golf crew in 17 days! :feedme:

Annual Golf Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There may be some other top-end restaurants that are at SW's level (Prime at Bellagio comes to mind), but I'd go with SW given that you're staying on property. I know if it were our anniversary dinner we'd be enjoying a few drinks and wine and it's a huge plus not to have to worry about the to/from other properties.

Happy Anniversary and have a great dinner!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW is a great choice, but if the time is a problem try Delmonico next door at Venetian. Comparable ambiance and food, with excellent service. Or maybe The Country Club if you want to stay on campus.

(Actually I would have recommended Sinatra, which is where we dine on our anniversaries, but you shot that down in the OP.) :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 1
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booking 2 months ahead of time on a Monday and the only options were 5:30 or 6:00? Yikes.

ETA, I just checked some random dates in June and July and they all just had 5:30, 6:00 or 9:30. They obviously don't give the prime times to Open Table.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all of your replies! I love the helpful input from members on this board. The consensus is stick with SW and that is what we're going to do! I will give them a call to see if I can get a later time, but I will be fine if I have to stick with my original 6pm reservation. It will be nice to not have to leave the premises on our first night there. I'm looking forward to it! :feedme:

Vegasworm

• Like Like x 2
  14. IamLindainWI

IamLindainWI Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW is great. Been there twice and plan to go back in a couple of weeks. I don't see any problems staying within your budget for 2 unless, like you said, you go crazy with wine. They have a wonderful selection and I'm sure you can find something great and stay under $500. I strongly suggest the filet Oscar style if you like crab with your steak. Again, if you enjoy crab the crab soup is a great starter and isn't your typical shrimp cocktail... which is amazing there, too. While I love the Oscar, my fav. is the dry aged, bone in rib eye. So much flavor. As for sides, the creamed spinach is a must in my book.

I would definitely call the restaurant directly and ask for the time you really want. Tell them you are a guest at the hotel and they should take care of you. You will find that Wynncore is eager to please and they do a great job making your stay memorable.

Happy anniversary!

15. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UPDATE - Called and easily bumped our reservation to 8pm.

Looking forward to a fabulous anniversary dinner!

Vegasworm

16. IamLindainWI

IamLindainWI Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just noticed the notes under your trip countdown. Too bad the adults only trip isn't after the trip with all the kids. I'm thinking you will need some adult time after that!! Have 2 great trips.

17. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for your food suggestions! I'm really looking forward to a great dining experience.

Yeah, a trip reversal would have been nice! It's going to be a letdown going from Encore to NYNY. LOL!

Vegasworm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.