1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Small Pleasures/Treasures that You Cherish

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Richard Alpert, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today was the first day of 2017 that I was able to take my morning bicycle ride in t-shirt and shorts and make it all the way home with neither goose bumps nor shrinkage! :woohoo:

Normally that means spring is truly here--and most years that signals that I'm okay finally putting the snow shovel away for awhile! :D It really fuels my excitement about being able to be outside more and more with my family.

It's amazing how sometimes little things, moments, and events can have such a big/special impact in our lives!

What small moment(s) do you look forward to in your life?

RICHARD

• Like Like x 5
  2. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weekly poker game on Tues

• Like Like x 3
  3. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our monthly poker league tournament every second Saturday of the month...same core of 15 guys since 2001... One of the guys built a 24×38 complete with big screen, fridge, bathroom, stereo system, popcorn maker. He has lines the walls with t shirts of every Harley shop he's visited (domestic and international)and it's close to a hundred... I feel blessed to be part of a close group like this

• Like Like x 6
  4. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A fire in the firepit, the boys and their wives over just enjoying each other's company and a few drinks and s'mores (for the girls)

And the next one will have grandkids which will make it even better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  5. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Buffalo, but I've been a lifelong LSU football fan. And yes, I legitimately mean lifelong, as in back during the four win seasons. It's not like my parents were gonna fly me a thousand miles to see a game in Baton Rouge, so I swore that when I grew up, I'd see LSU play in every football stadium in the SEC. This year will be my 10th (Mississippi State). To be honest, I've probably spent an amount of money on some of these trips that would have won me a far more glamorous vacation (not to mention a long weekend in Vegas), but I don't care that I could have been in Barcelona or wherever. I care more about being in little ol' Starkville, MS for this one weekend than any other place on earth. I'm gonna finish running the circuit, and then I'll go to LSU's bowl game every year until I die. I still find my way overseas and all that, but my boss knows that my LSU weekend is completely non-negotiable every season. I'll give up other time I was hoping for if need be, but the annual SEC trip is etched in unmitigated stone, period.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Richard, I believe I speak for many on this board when I say I enjoy and look forward to your posts and contributions on this board. Your positive outlook and your warm, friendly demeanor (not to mention your funny and wonderful humor) is addicting to say the least. I hope you continue to be active here to brighten up the boards chatter!

I love simple pleasures, to me a person who has a lot of these are the truly wealthy.

I love walking a calm early morning beach shoreline with only my light duty fishing rod with 4 lb. test line and whipping for anything that would take my lure. If I'm lucky to land the fish, I'd take a picture and put it back to sea. The early morning sunrise is breathtaking.

I love to people watch. Anywhere. I look for young couples who are obviously in love, or a young father with his toddlers buying them cotton candy at the carnival, or a young mother patiently and lovingly soothing a crying newborn.

All the countless, simple memories of things my wife and I did throughout our 39 yr. marriage. Holding hands, talking by ourselves, just quietly not saying anything and just enjoying each other's company.

I love and cherish when I go to my mom's house and she made chicken papaya soup for me. It's the best in the world because she made it for me with love.

Thanks Richard for this wonderful thread. I hope it flourishes.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what my cellmate says, too! :D
    Or was he referring to meth? :ssst:

Well, I'm at post number 7 and only two of them are from me, so it's already a success IMO! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words, @Electroguy563 .
    We have some great folks on here. I've only met one member (besides myself) in person.
    I've gotta get myself to Vegas soon to get that number higher!

It's great to be a part of a board that can share the love about a common place, but still cares enough to think of members in need of some thoughts/support.
    **I encourage everyone to please read Joe's thread if you haven't already.**

Thanks again, Electro!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 6
  8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Richard, I have noticed that you read what I have to say on different subjects. You are a kind and happy person.
    My joy today is that the hot summer has arrived in my town. I like the hot summers because it is good for my arthritis. I am now looking to re-decorate my condo with new modern summer styles.

This summer I will be going on day trips that is sponsored by our Com. College. I am looking forward on going on actor John Wayne's yacht named the Wild Goose... for a two hour tour in Newport beach.
    I heard he also had a summer house in Newport Beach, California.

I am a senior now and I plan to start giving some of my treasures to my young family relatives.

I want to be free from things I don't need any more in my senior years.

I want to return to living a simple life in a tiny house up in the woods of Big Bear or any mountain
    in California. I love the outdoors with the beauty of the trees. Plus, hear the birds singing.

Presently there are Doves singing and wanting to mate and have their babies in our condo garden.

I enjoy the company of my church friends and also my cruise ship friends.

The negatives in my life is that I am tired in living in a busy town that has too many cars and too many new apartments that have been built. I am looking to move out as soon as I can find the right place for me. The new condo owners in my building are not compatiable sp with me. A con artist has moved into our condo complex and that man has been the cause of many problems in our condo. ONE BAD APPLE on our HOA Board has cost us lots of money. Our condo dues were raised to pay the large bills because of him.
    It is time for me to move on to a better place. I pray that I do get to move soon.

I feel blessed that I have been able to care for myself all these years as a single Lady. LucyR.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, @LucyR. ! :wave:

It sounds like you have a wonderful summer coming up! :cool:
    Hopefully you'll be able to move to a better place soon.

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm among the many people who look forward to your threads, including the Survivor and Big Brother threads.
    Even if I don't watch the current show/season much, I still enjoy reading your threads to see what I'm missing! :D

Thanks again! :peace:

RICHARD

10. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    W I N E

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Husband hanging the new plants for the hummingbirds and butterflies today.
    Loving our new home and all it took to get here.
    Getting ready for grilling and sitting by the fire pit outside with a great view.
    Being grateful for health and never taking it for granted.
    Hoping for continued happiness, prosperity, longevity.
    Wishing for all to enjoy what makes them happy.

• Like Like x 5
  12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to moms every sunday for breakfast. My favorite part if the week for sure.

• Like Like x 7
  13. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A major joy in my life is Tuesday & Thursday men's night tennis (when I'm healthy enough – I'm 67). I live in very WET area (Washington coast) and we've only had an indoor court for a few years. There are not many of us, and our age range is 14–82. What a tremendous group of guys.

We often set matches for other days, but this is set in stone. (Set in liquid, is the beer many of us have after. Hydration is so important.)

If you get out here, it's a wonderful resort that has much more than tennis … and it's not too expensive!
    Check out: http://www.lighthouseresort.net

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 'small pleasures' moments revolve around our two grandson's (age 8 and 6) weekly Face Time sessions.
    One lives 30 minutes away and one 2 1/2 hours away - we see them frequently with sleepovers and visits but still do weekly Face Time with each one.

The face appears.
    The greeting 'hi grandpa/grandma'
    Next follows 30 minutes of one sided commentary painstakingly and enthusiastically describing and building/demolition of lego creations - some structured but mostly from their imaginative creative brains; next up - very detailed show and tell Pokemon demonstrations and enunciation and description of names only found in that world of Pokemon speak and their latest ultra rare card trades. (I'm the culprit in keeping them well supplied with everything Pokemon, we're talking over 800 and 300 cards between them, lol). As they wind down we are filled in on happenings of their week - school, sports, etc. and what they may have had for dinner.
    G'ma and G'pa rarely speak beyond one word acknowledgements like wow! really? awesome.
    Then the I love you's. :love: :kiss: And they push the red button to end the call.

After FaceTime Grandpa and Grandma sleep like babies - all is well in our world.
    That is impactful, that is special.

Thank you @Richard Alpert for this thread - loving and enjoying everyones's small pleasures.:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Cheetos

Cheetos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    at the age of 62 my small pleasure is waking up every morning and having a cup of coffee then off to do my 5 mile run to begin my day.

• Like Like x 5
  16. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as I could remember, dad took my brother and I to the Molson Indy Car race in Toronto when we were younger; early 90s. I was maybe 10 or 12 when we started going. I remember running with lawn chairs to the general admission areas to get a good view. We never could afford grand stand seats.

Years passed, brother went to college; life got busy and we stopped going for a while.

Now It's called Honda Indy Car Toronto and 4 or 5 years ago I started taking dad to the race as a father's day gift. My brother came once or twice but with 3 kids, it's hard to get away. My brother questions why I still go - it's never exactly a great view - you see the cars for a split second as they pass in front of you, then your watching the monitors watching them go around the track, lol...

My response is simply - dad loves Indy Car and I want to spend time with him. This is 1 day, I can carve out and take him out to do something that he really loves to do. We no longer run as soon as the gates open for general admission. I pay for grand stand seats; we walk the grounds every year to make sure we're sitting where we want to and I adjust where I buy the tickets the next year. Sometimes we do the track walk. I always buy a program for us to share; lunch; whatever he wants. Sometimes the wife comes; this year a mutual friend is coming, but regardless of who comes, I'll take dad until we can't go.

I tried to plan to take him to Montreal for a Formula 1 race this year but one thing leads to another and I forgot to book early :( Hotels book quickly and with a 6 hour drive from Buffalo - I wanted to stay Friday into Monday (race is usually on sunday). Top priority next year.

Last year; dad was wearing my startup's baseball cap - walking through the garage where the crews were prepping the cars and getting ready - one of his favorite drivers signed his hat - of my company. That was pretty special.

Anyway - the race is Mid July - it'll be the highlight of my year (other then vacation to LV, haha)

• Like Like x 5
  17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [Reaching for handkerchief to dry eyes here...]

That's awesome, Geogran! :thumbsup:
    Thank you for sharing!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  18. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi again Richard. I really enjoy watching reality shows. I am presently also watching the Amazing Race show too. I belong to a website where we talk about that show.

The main reason I write the Spoiler Survivor Info is because lots of gamblers want to know who will be voted out so they can maybe win money if my guess is accurate on who will get voted out.
    I also enjoy writing just for fun. I always wanted to be a news paper writer but never did. I found a better career that was more fun as a career counselor at UCLA. I am retired now so I have time to write for fun. Lucy

19. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm spending time in Las Vegas with my dad just now. We are redoing stuff we did when my mother was still alive. She died Easter Sunday 2013. He has dementia, although it's fairly early stages right now. Being with him more often during this trip had made me aware that he is much worse than I thought. I usually see him twice a day for a couple of hours. Being with him 24/7 is a definite eye opener.

I'm sure that this time we are spending together will be a special memory for me, even if he forgets. I've taken a ton of pics and will put them on his laptop so he can see them whenever he wants. I hope he remembers some of it, but have no idea if he will. He is enthusiastic when he enjoys something, but barely remembers it the next day. Luckily the photos seem to jog his memory for now.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 3
  20. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Such a great idea for your Dad as a way to jog his memory with happy reminders of this trip and your time together. You are both lucky to be able to share this time together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.