1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bad experience using Advantage in Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by makikiboy, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been using Advantage rent a car for the last 20 or so years. I was using them when they were called US rent a car (before Advantage bought them out) in vegas. Service was decent and they even upgraded me for free most of the time. Sometimes I rented an economy car and almost always they upgraded me two cars or more up. They even upgraded me to a Camry with no charge. Yes, there was some hustle and you had to watch out for the extra added charges (like the daily lockout fee) but I was able to have those fees removed before I was presented the bill.

Fast forward to April 2017 and that has completely changed. :cuss:

I went to the Advantage booth (Monday, April 10 at 7:30 am) and encountered a whole new experience. Black salesgirl greeted me and took my reservation to process. I reserved a "pick" car. Normally they gave me a totally upgraded car, all the way up from a full sized car to an SUV so it was no surprise to me when the girl said that I had the option of a Camry or an Impala with my "pick". I chose the Camry. When I was presented the bill it was almost triple what was on my reservation! I asked the girl why I was being charged more for my "pick" car and she said that she thought I wanted to pay for an upgrade to the full sized car. I told her no and thought that the pick would allow me a larger car. She said that I could only get the next size up from economy.

I should have walked away since I had a backup reservation from Thrifty for a similar car for only $5 more but like a fool I stayed to endure more punishment. :bang:

She redid my bill and it came out to almost double my reservation. I asked why my bill was so high and she said that she added the standard insurance amounts (without even asking me). Again I said that I was only going to pay what was on my reservation and didn't want any more extras or added coverages.

I looked over to the Thrifty counter and now there was a long line so I stayed with Advantage. :grrr:

She redid the reservation for a third time and it was still higher than my original reservation. This time she printed out the bill so I went through the bill to find the extra charge. Sure enough, she added the daily lockout charge. I told her that I didn't want that charge but she said that it was a standard charge. I told her no, it wasn't a standard charge and I wasn't going to pay for it. She finally redid the contract and it was exactly the amount that I had in my reservation. You could tell that she was pissed off, I guess she expected me to just sign and pay for whatever she charged me and wasn't happy that I didn't take any of her extras. :thumbsdown:

I go outside to pick up my car, only to find that she gave me an economy car! At that time I just gave up on Advantage and took the car (when I left there was also a long line at advantage so I didn't want to go back inside). It was a Nissan. Had the hand crank roll up windows. No auto locks, my key would open only the driver side front door and I had to manually open all the other doors. Not much in the car other than the radio and cup holders, no center compartment or any extras.

The only good thing was that the car had fantastic gas mileage, I travelled about 350 miles and paid a little over $20 (gas in vegas was about $2.50 a gallon so I used about 9 gallons).

Anyway, I am done using Advantage and will go elsewhere if I can find a similar reservation elsewhere. Totally disappointed in the girl and the company. As I mentioned, I guess this girl thought that she was master of the ripoff and thought that I would just take what she gave me and pay extra for everything.

Too bad, I used the company a number of times over the years but no more. I will take my business elsewhere, all because of a stupid sales clerk.

Will get off my soapbox now but it still angers me with the experience I received from them. :soapbox::thumbsdown:

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Too much work...need more play.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sucks nutz what happened to you and the behavior was unacceptable. I know I'd be pissed! Some people are either incompetent or just ******bags, but what does the race of the person at the counter have to do with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or the sex of the clerk but I just mentioned it to warn others who use Advantage to beware of this person. Good to be forewarned and while there may be other black female clerks working at least you will be on your toes and forewarned if you have some similar as your clerk when you go up to the Advantage counter.

4. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would copy your post and send it directly to advantage corporate.

You will be surprised what corporate will do to retain a longtime customer.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah, don't worry about it. Other than giving me free rentals for the next year I doubt they will do anything to change my mind.

6. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure there are a ton of bad experience stories from ALL rental car companies...............so unfortunate.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our travel department used to use Advantage quite a bit when they were the Little Sister of Hertz. Hertz sold them and apparently their attitude changed.

I did not witness it personally, but a co-worker told me he saw the Advantage line all the way out to the middle of the hall at the McCarran Rent A Center. This was after Hertz sold them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.