1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Break the Chain: Las Vegas Eats

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by ken2v, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where do you like to eat that is a Vegas thing?

I really hope Westie weighs in on this as he is THE master of Vegas food, without peer. We have so many, but here are a handful:

Table 34
    Marche Bacchus
    Casa Don Juan
    POP'S Pride of Philly Steaks
    Piero's
    Omelet House Summerlin
    Todd's Unique
    Spiedini

2. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Michelle and I have become very fond of Strip House at Planet Hollywood. It is our # 1 restaurant in Vegas, the steaks are prime and cooked perfectly, the side portions are huge, and Shell is a fan (major fan) of the 24 layer chocolate cake!!!! We also enjoy a quick lunch at Guy's Vegas Kitchen at the Linq some unique food.....................Rick

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't Guy Fieri fit better on the chain eats thread? Strip House perhaps, too? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy might have a few places, but they aren't the same, are they? That would eliminate the chain factor imo

5. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guys aren't the same just his name is. I believe you are right in Strip House but Michelle is from Upstate New York and we avoid the city at all costs so it doesn't count. I used it as a chain but un-using it here as I love it....Caught me Ken.....Rick

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Caesars' website: "Guy Fieri’s Vegas Kitchen & Bar offers guests a taste of Fieri’s signature cuisine ..."

This was not intended as a debate as to what constitutes a chain or not; two Bouchons is not a chain, three is? The whole idea is what is something found in Vegas and not many places or most every place else. Fieri is definitely cookie-cutter, however some try to spin it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Packeral

Packeral High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's a chain to one is brand new to another. I live in Bismarck ND. Everything is a new experience for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, by that definition, nothing is Vegas. There is no place in Vegas that can't be had somewhere else. In fact, everything from Vegas came from some place else.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, this is really hard for some.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am always on the lookout for unique dining in Vegas. I am guilty of chains that I can't get at home, whether fast (like In-N-Out) or casual (like Black Bear Diner).

I am actually focusing more on non-chain-of-any-kind dining on next week's trip, in part because I am budgeting $15 TOTAL for parking for my 7-day trip. That means a lot of dining off-Strip. Planned stops include Carson Kitchen, Eat, Nove Italiano (in the Palms) and Battista's.

But I can't completely get away from chains, as we are also planning on dining at Yardbird (in the Venetian) and Papaya King.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  11. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ETA - We are also considering Primarily Prime Rib (in South Point) or the Charcoal Room (in Palace Station)

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always enjoy the old school Vegas vibe at Bootleggers and Peppermill

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on Bootlegger Bistro!!

14. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dumb, too.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trattoria Regianno inside Venetian.
    NY pizza and pasta on Jones Blvd (off strip)

16. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really depends on where I am being comped...so every year it changes...but right now, including the dish that "makes the place" for me:

Magnolias - Blue berry pancakes
    Hugo's - 16oz Prime Strip, Manhattan's
    Eiffel Tower - Tasting menu
    Mesa Grill - Pork Tenderloin
    Nove - Branzino
    Andiamos - Pan Roasted Scallops
    Bouchon - Pastry Basket

• Like Like x 1
  17. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Like Like x 1
  18. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are so many new restaurants that catch my eye that I invariably have trouble returning to all but a few select restaurants. Here are the ones that warranted a return visit or four:

Austin's Steakhouse - did someone mention ribeye? LVA coupon?

Baguette Cafe - nobody doesn't like Baguette Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Now open on weekends.

Border Grill - love the brunch and unlimited mimosas.

Bratalian Neapolitan Cantina - only have been there once, but Carla Pellergrino and the pollo scarpiello warrant a second visit.

Bronze Cafe @ The Center - repeat after me - I will have the LGBTQ. House made bacon jam (Yes!), maple cured bacon (Yes!), basil aioli, mixed greens, lemon vinaigrette on a ciabatta roll. Go vegetarian if you must like my wife does and order the Tree of Life (roasted red peppers, avocado, mixed greens, house made pickled onions, cashew crema, Brazil nut crumble and mango cilantro ginger vinaigrette on pita flatbread).

Chada Street - 3 times in 12 months - enuff said.

Commanders Palace (closed) - the $18.75 3-course lunch combined with 25 cent martinis are long gone, but never forgotten.

Crab Corner - only for those of us who worship blue crabs from Chesapeake Bay.

Don Vito's @ the South Point - not the best Italian restaurant in the city, but I do love my eggplant Parmesan and the fact I can use points plus a funbook coupon.

Eatt Healthy Food - French - healthy? OMG! We have only dined here once, but it was the best meal of the last trip.

Forte European Tapas - Bulgarian tapas - who could imagine? Try the biscuit cake for dessert.

Friendly Donut House - an apple fritter that is bigger, better and cheaper than Ronald's - hard to believe, but true.

German Bread Bakery - rumballs, rumballs and maybe some other dessert.

Kitchen Table - 2 visits, 5 different breakfast treats, each one a winner. Note: one of the 2 owner/chefs has vacated the premises since our last visit.

Lola's - A Louisiana Kitchen (Charleston location) - her name is actually Beth, but she does bronzed catfish over Gouda grits that will make you smile.

Oyster Bar @ Palace Station - only if you can handle the long line.

Pan Asian (David Wong's) - it was 3 years and 6 months between our 2 visits, but #3 is on the drawing board.

Rosallie - Le French Cafe - on the last 3 trips we have enjoyed breakfast there 3 times. I ordered chevre quiche on 2 occasions and most recently a smoked salmon sandwich. The box score is 4.5 Forks, 4.5 Forks and 4.5 Forks.

Soyo Korean Barstaurant - I am not sure if the spicy grilled chicken with mozzarella dish would be considered authentic, but it is lip smacking good.

Suzuya Pastries and Crepes - I have mixed emotions because it out of the way for us. Japanese crepes - who knew? Not in the mood for a crepe - try the
    Mont Blanc or Green Tea crepe cake or just close your eyes and point.

Todd's - Todd is in the kitchen every evening, the menu changes with what's currently fresh including seafood AND there is no corkage on Wednesdays. We have been happy customers since 2005.

Weera Thai - another Thai restaurant worthy of multiple visits.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It can be a tricky concept also, because a chain doesn't feel like a chain to someone who does not have the same thing available at home. Many of the vegas chains are regional ones which can still feel unique or at least someone different to outside visitors. The fast casual burrito thing took awhile to land in Canada, so there was awhile there that Chipotle felt like a departure (now a city of 300k probably has 15-20 of these places). Pizza Rock is a chain, but nothing like what we have nearby. And while many of the high end steakhouses are somewhat boilerplate, they are often a splurge people don't make at home even if there are 1 or 2 of that quality they could visit. HHAGG would be another example. Its not really my cup of tea anyway, but if it was, its something I'm not getting anywhere but Vegas.

Anyway, I'll +1 Bootlegger.

Lotus of Siam

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chain/Not a Chain is pretty subjective. As pointed out, sometimes it depends on where you're from. Javier's has a bunch of locations, but they're pretty much all in CA, so Vegas is the only opportunity/experience most people have. Andiamo's? Most would say not a chain, but if you're from Detroit, well you'd laugh at that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.