1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Curse the Lakers

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by UKFanatic, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, so this post is really just a rant. Last October, I made several NBA season win total bets (like I do every season). I made several, but there were three big ones. A few weeks ago I already won and lost one each of the three big ones. The last big one unreso0lved was the Lakers under 25.5.

If you're a fan or follow that team, you know the start of the year did not look good for bet. They were strong out of the gate and, honestly, I kind of gave up on that bet after the first 15 games of the season. Then the Lakers started playing the way I had expected them too. I also made this wager knowing their draft situation (the situation being that unless the lakers were truly awful, there was a high likelihood they would have to surrender multiple first round draft picks because of bad trades in the past). The team only had an incentive to be a resurgent playoff team or stink up the joint. Well, they have been out of the playoff race for more than a month and they clearly went into tank mode (resting healthy starters).

Lakers had seven games in April and I just needed them to lose two to win my wager. So I am feeling pretty confident, especially after they lose their first game this month. But then they beat Memphis, a playoff team, in a close game. OK, that's an aberration and they still have some tough games left. A few days later, they beat the second best team in the league (who rested their stars after the first quarter). Then they beat an in state rival. Then comes this past Sunday. T-Wolves playing Lakers in LA. Close game throughout, but in the fourth quarter, the Wolves just keep dumping the ball down low to Towns and he is taking over. Towns pust them up 4 with 38 second left. Lakers come back down the floor and Metta World Peace (aka, Ron Artest, who must be 72 years old at this point) is in the game and cuts the lead to 2. Wolves come back down, only a four second difference between the game clock and shot clock, so the Wolves should run the clock down and give the ball back to the hot hand (Towns). But of course they don't. Rubio drives with 14 seconds left, over penetrates, and throws up a terrible off balance shot that gets blocked. Lakers grab the ball, race down the court, Peace shoots another three and misses. They still get the offensive rebound, a terrible shooter is stuck the ball 27 feet from the basket. He almost throws the ball away, but somehow gets it to another player who is almost standing out of bounds. Russell then rushes his shot from 26 feet, it hits the rim, bounces straight up in the air, and then goes through the net. Lakers win and I am crushed.

Stilol had a chance to win the bet if the lakers lost out (they play Golden State tonight), but they beat New Orleans last night (who was resting their two best players). I now hope the Lakers have to give up every draft pick they get for the next decade. Rant off

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  2. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shame on you. They need the draft picks badly.

3. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then they should have lost more the past two weeks, lol

The plans have changed
  4. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sucks about your bet, but I'm loving that their little win streak pushed, their chances of losing their pick to over 50%. They also owe the Magic a 1st rounder, but if their pick doesn't go to Philly this year, then the Magic pick turns into two 2nd rounders.

So in essence, falling out of the top 3 draftwise this year will cost them their 2017 and 2019 1st round picks. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
  5. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And so many so called experts thought they gave away Lou Williams but that 1st round pick even as low as it it will net them a good player as this is a deep draft and getting deeper everyday day as more come out.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just always amazed at how accurate Vegas is for the most part in setting those win totals.

7. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oddly, tonight's game also affects some Warriors 66.5 total futures too

8. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know! I also bet the under on the Warriors (albeit, a much smaller wager). So now that the Lakers win streak killed that bet, I will pull for them tonight. I think the Warriors should rest everyone and just let JaVale shoot 3s

The plans have changed
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear that, UK!
    As a Wolves fan, I sincerely apologize! :beer:

Rubio shooting is never a good thing!

RICHARD

10. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have the under 66.5

Go Lakers:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes it is amazing. I say it all the time. right on the money. I cuss every time.

12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I curse the algorithms they run millions of times to come up with a avg number

13. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the moment I saw Rubio over dribble and get stuck in the lane, I knew something bad was about to happen.

But I can't complain about Rubio and crew too much. One of the other larger season bets I referenced in my original post was betting the under on the Wolves. Won that one pretty easily

The plans have changed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.