1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What size suitcase do you use?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ItsVegasTime, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm needing a new suitcase before our upcoming trips. My old one is like 15 years old and is just DONE.

I'm wanting a spinner, and the 25" just seems too small, since I tend to over pack. I want to get a 27 or 29" but I'm afraid with the wheels it will pass up the 62" max (all sides) rule most airlines have and I don't want to get charged an oversize fee.

Anyone have a spinner that size, and if so have you had any problems with checking it?

2. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The place you are buying from should have the MAX dimensions that will include wheels, sometimes they give dimensions with and without the wheels.

3. ItsVegasTime

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, do you all prefer hard size, or soft sided luggage?

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 25" suitcase. My suitcase also has a zipper which opens up to allow another inch or inch and a half more room for more stuff.

For me, the problem is that anything larger than a 26" suitcase will more than likely cause me to go over the 50 lb bag weight limit on the plane. With the 25" I know if I am getting close to the weight limit because the suitcase will be stuffed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a 25" but I end up putting everything in there and only need to tale a personal item on board. I've taken larger but it ended up needing special handling but I've been fortunate not to get hit with any fees.

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bring a carry-on when I go solo. My wife and I both bring 27 inchers as checked luggage when we travel together. Mine is literally half empty going but is pretty full when leaving, due to shopping for clothes, snacks, and gifts for friends and family back home.

Both of them have spinner wheels and we never had been charged oversized fees.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just went round the world, a 10 day cruise and another two week cruise/trip - all with carry on for each of us.

But - if you want a check-able - do NOT get it too big. That extra weight charge is a killer.

We did take one 25" to vegas - partly for her change of clothes and partly for taking a coffee maker.

8. ItsVegasTime

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ended up ordering a Samsonite soft sided 25" spinner. It's expandable and has outer pockets, so I figure the difference between it and a 27" hard-side won't be that much. Plus it will help not go over the weight limit if i don't have a ton of extra room I guess! It got pretty great reviews, so hopefully it will be a great new piece of luggage for me. Thanks to those who answered!

9. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will cram as much shit into a 22" carry on as I can. Add in a backpack as my personal item, and I've prevented the airlines from sending my bags to Anchorage.

But yeah, other than that, I have a 25"rectangle that fits suits nicely.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but sometimes I get some butthole airline check in clerk and some are very strict about the weight limit. One time my 25" suitcase was 51 lbs (1 lb over) and the other suitcase was a 22" and only weighed 35 lbs but the clerk said that I needed to even it out and distribute the weight between the 2 suitcases. But many times they are pretty lenient, usually allowing the suitcase to be over by a 2 to 4 lbs, especially if I'm paying for another suitcase and it is way under the limit.

The 51 one was at McCarran (Hawaiian air). Funny because some of the other airline check in people saw that and rolled their eyes. One came up to me and apologized because she felt sorry for me. She told me that that check in clerk was a real battle axe and a by the book type so was excessively strict about weight limits.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a 28" hard-sided spinner. I used to have a 29" soft side drag behind, but I swear the 28" can fit more. It's pretty sturdy too. Just like everyone else though, you gotta keep an eye on the weight as those bigger bags can easily get up to 50lbs if you aren't careful. I got a Heavy tag (52lbs) put on from United once on the way back from Vegas... too many bars of soap, shampoo and lotion after a week long trip, I suppose :ssst:
    Other than the tag, no mention from the ticketing agent.:thumbsup:

Anymore though, I just weigh the bag at home before the trip and go from there. Especially if I've got to fly Allegiant and their asinine 40lb bag limit.

12. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi ItsVegasTime

We have a pr of Delsey garment Bags w/4 wheels for the 7 day-ers
    Take stuff on a hangar, hang in garment bag, checked on plane,
    get to hotel, take said clothes on hangers, hang them up in hotel,

Done!
    Lets hit the Craps table!

It works on all 4 wheels, 2 wheels or can carry (ugh heavy)
    :beer:

13. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, there's always a butthole in every company. Hawaiian Air is so inconsistent. Our last trip we checked our baggage with the kiosk on our return flight and it never asked us to weigh them. My wife and I looked at each other with a "WTF?" expression then swiped our card to pay the check in charges and away we went.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The extra fees are almost always for WEIGHT, not size. They do have size restrictions, but I never hear of anyone getting charged that unless it is something way bigger than a suitcase.

15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. One can easily exceed the weight limit with the 27 inchers but my wife and I never did. The stuff we buy to bring back home is mostly clothes, and snacks like beef jerky and such.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but I have an expandable travel bag, two wheels and a handle, and when not expanded it fits in the carry on check thing for all airlines. I can expand it and check it in.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just went through a lost luggage "experience" and while it was a bit of a pain short-term, it wasn't horrific. I now do my best to back into a 22"x14"x9" Tumi spinner. My trips are generally 2-3 day trips and I've actually been surprised at how efficient I've become with a small"ish" carry-on.

18. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be honest, I've never had Hawaiian Air actually care about weighing our luggage. Upon handing it over to them, they don't even bother to look at the weight. Wife and I have been pretty consistent with keeping the weight to be around 38 lbs. She brings a ton of products in her suitcase, and hasn't gone over yet. I don't worry about going over on my way and even coming home. I just mail stuff home. I go to Trader Joe's a lot, and since there is none where I live, I buy a ton of stuff. I mail all the stuff home without worry of it fitting in my suitcase or going over with the weight. I hate a suitcase carry-on, so I just have a backpack that holds all my electronics and essentials I need.

19. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My larger bags have been marked oversized and/or heavy. Even though they the were marked heavy, it was after check in and i wasn't charged.

20. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI just a quick tip, you MIGHT reconsider a spinner. I bought a gorgeous champagne colored spinner as a splurge. (Ok, on sale, but I never buy new stuff until something is dead.)

Long story short, spinners are MUCH more vulnerable to baggage handler roughness. My wheel broke after only two trips.

I'm back to my Samsonite with semi-recessed wheels. Spinners, at least for me, have so much of the wheel exposed, they're a little more delicate.....

Onto your original question though, I have a large suitcase, as we go for 10+ days and I pack wine to have something I like in the room :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.