1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lower Price Closer to Date?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by henry332411, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry332411

henry332411 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but...

Do prices generally decrease as the trip gets closer? I was planning on going in late May but haven't decided where I want to stay yet. Would prices generally stay the same if I went to book a week or two before my trip or would they decrease the price a bit?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there is a glut of available rooms, you'll see the price drop. May is a pretty popular month, so I'd book something now and be sure that you can change it later if you need to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always book as early as you can with the hotel. Prices rarely go down and if they do you can cancel and rebook. End of May you are looking at Memorial day weekend

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. henry332411

henry332411 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. All hotels will price match or would I have to cancel my reservation and rebook?

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

There is no generally. Sometimes you'll get a last minute bargain, sometimes they will skyrocket.

Hotels also generally have a 'floor' of the lowest rate they'll put up on their website, and below that you are into priceline/hotwire territory to snag a last minute deal.

In short, book something you can cancel up to 72 hours before, and keep checking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if any hotel will price match with another hotel. Sometimes they will be able to apply an offer code and get you a lower rate, but often you will need to cancel and rebook.

Sorry all my answers seem to be "it depends".

I didn't even think about the Memorial Day weekend. That makes it much less likely you will see rates go lower.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think henry means if he makes a reservation for a hotel and the rates drop (for that hotel) or if another site lists the same hotel for a lower price will the hotel price match? The answer is "it depends". Some hotels will match another site if a lower hotel rate is found but you have to read the hotel policy to see if they price match.

If the hotel lists lower rates you can always call them to change your reservation to the lower rate. Worst case scenario would be to rebook and cancel your previous reservation. Same with a third party site, if the hotel doesn't price match you can always book under the third party site and cancel your current reservation (always make sure you have a firm reservation before cancelling the previous one). Be aware of the hotel policy on how far in advance you can make changes, some hotels will require you to pay the first night if you make late changes (like within 24 hours prior) and others will not allow changes 48 or 72 hours prior to your stay. You need to check your reservation policy to see how late you can make changes without incurring a penalty. Usually outside of 72 hours you should be able to cancel or change your reservation without paying any penalty.

As others have mentioned, room rates all depend on what's going on for your time period but best to book the room now to get a firm reservation in case rates go up instead of down. Late May is the Memorial Day weekend and the "start" of the summer season so if anything the prices will be going up (so best to book now IMHO) as the masses go for the summer.

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at some rate calendars for future dates. you will notice that they are expensive 6 months plus out. About 90 days out they are able to tell how full they are and will adjust the rates accordingly. Usually they will be the lowest about 90 days out. ont usually drop much from there as the hotel will have a good idea how the bookings are going. No need to wait any further then this, maybe 30 days out but thats about it. Dont want them to sell out on you.

9. henry332411

henry332411 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! :)

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... that is the real answer.

Supply and demand.

It is NOT the same as airline tickets. Almost all hotel reservations can be cancelled and changed to the lower rate at that hotel, or another.

Book now. Check often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fact. I called up about a month or so ago about my upcoming trip and asked about the current rates. Saved myself $150+ with a quick 5 minute phone call.

12. jmiller31

jmiller31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just did some of this today. I'm not sure what's going on but room prices at MGM properties for the last weekend in April seem high and the availability is somewhat limited. I needed 3 rooms and ended up with a decent price at Delano for scenic suites. Today I noticed the rate dropped about $50 a room so I called them and they dropped the rate for me. If they hadn't I would have just booked the 3 rooms at the new rate and cancelled the other ones. Things like this don't happen to often to me but I still check and sometimes save a few bucks. Unless you are doing a pre-pay on a third party site almost all of the hotels allow you to cancel without penalty up to 72 hours in advance. I

13. henry332411

henry332411 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah the 72 hour prior cancellation period is awesome for that reason

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I booked using booking.com or hotels.com without any problems cancelling. In fact, they also price match so if I found a lower rate (even with the hotel web site) I would call booking.com or hotels.com and give them the site and they would confirm the lower rate and lower my reservation rate. I like booking.com because most of the time (like a hotel reservation) they would only charge the first night's stay and I would pay the rest when I check in. I also was able to easily cancel my reservation but many times I just price matched and got them to change my reservation. Hotels.com and many of the other sites require you to pay your entire stay upfront, not a problem, just that your money is tied up weeks or months before you arrive at your hotel.

For me, I don't play enough to get any/many comped or discounted nights so I find the third party sites to have some of the lower rates around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.