1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Herding cats

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Pea, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Electroguy & LucyR reminded me of downsides to traveling with a group. I had similar trip when one time went to Vegas with my mom & 5 aunts. My mom & I were great going to Vegas together just the 2 of us, but I named this trip the "too many relatives" trip..

We would set a meetup time and mom & I are on time. 2 aunts were earlybirds so when we arrived they were tired of waiting so went off to do something. 2 other aunts were latebirds so they would finally arrive but earlybirds were still off etc. Seemed to take an hour to get everybody there at one time. Then one aunt didn't like to gamble and drove everybody nuts with that.

What are your stories?

2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My folks were in Vegas once. Just passing through (driving) and they stopped for an ice cream and to stretch their legs.
    That pretty much sums up the rest of my family's interest in Vegas...none!

One of my sibs is a penny-pincher/weekend recluse and doesn't travel outside the five miles between home and work.
    My other two sibs are against gambling of any sort, and refuse to even listen about shows, sights, other things to do there...
    Friends are all farmers and outdoorsmen/women who would rather spend their free time in northern WI, MN, or MI with fishing rod, gun, or handlebars of four-wheeler or snowmobile in hand.

So cat herding up and down the Strip and Fremont St. is something I don't have to worry about,
    but all my best :D to those who are trying to help their friends and loved ones in their Vegas experiences!

RICHARD

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often end up as "Social Director" when we do an extended family thing. I always have tentative plans, cuz if you don't, you'll spend more time discussing what to do than doing it. (Just wait for somebody to pipe up "Or else, we could ..." and the cycle starts all over!)

I also end up as cat-herder when the gang's late for something. :)

4. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ONLY travel w/my sisters now. Used to travel w/them and another friend, but...

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is one upside to traveling with a group like this. Your bankroll will still be intact when you head to the airport.

On a recent trip, we encountered a few "groups" like this. They all stand around a slot machine trying to decide what to do. It is painful to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's the very real possibility we're related...or at minimum have cultural roots in common...though it appears yours lean more towards dairy production and mine towards tobacco farming. My Sunday-go-go-meetin', dirt road relations can deliver quite the sermon on cavorting about in a city built upon vice. And I, of course, can light a cigar by snapping my fingers...so we're even. :wink2:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why I don't travel with more than 3 or 4 people. I'm typically known as a "task master" when traveling in a group.

If I'm put in charge, it's "be at such and such a place by x time or you're on your own."

If I'm not in charge, I follow the directions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love being in Vegas solo. My husband is lucky I take him with me on occasion. Family and friends...NO WAY! :thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've done a large group 3 times, my 50th, hubby's 50th and our vow renewal....and it went smoothly. Everyone had an agenda with the events that were arranged, dinners, shows and knew where they had to be at what time. The rest was do what you want. If a group of us met up for drinks in our suite or an unplanned activity, we'd text the others, come if you want or see you later.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my life except rural Mississippi. The furthest the vast majority of my friends will venture is Panama City Beach FLA---about 5 hours away--- anything else is considered "exotic"...ive quietly thanked my parents many times for raising all of us kids to travel with no fear of experiencing new things and live life to the fullest :usa:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Pea!

As you can see your thread is interesting because to some extent I think we all have had some experiences "herding cats" lol!

And I think we can all learn from all the shared stories of our members here. Some of the stories shared are similar, some are funny, and some of them offer insights as to how to handle the problem on future trips!

I know for myself, I just learned that my family will be taking a "group trip" this upcoming December during the week of the 26th to the 1st. of Jan. 2018.

Total tentative people: 16 adults
    2 teen-agers
    2 children

Good Luck and may God Bless and have Mercy on us..........:eek::cry::bang:

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Angie: What do you wanna do tonight?

Marty Pilletti: I dunno, Angie. What do you wanna do?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will activate my church's "prayer chain" immediately, Electroguy! :thumbsup:

Sounds like fun family times ahead!!!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lets talk about the people who act like loyal doggies. I used to cruise with a gal friend and she wanted me to be with her all the time because I am a super extrovert and super social. She was my roomie and we were cruising with lots of cats in a group.
    All the cats would run around the ship and we would not see them all again until the last day as we left the ship.

On the last night some of the cats went to a Bar to drink on the ship. My doggie gal roomie went with them but then she came
    back and said the Cats wanted me to join the group. I was watching the grand Finale of the Survivor show on the t.v. and I was
    not about to leave and not finish watching who won the Survivor show. Guess what? The doggie came back to see if I had changed my mind to go with her to go join the Cats. I still didn't go. That doggie depended too much on me to help her to meet guys. That was her problem. She was super introverted. So i gave a single guy a great review of how wonderful my doggie friend was super nice and very loyal. So they became a couple on the next cruise. I prefer one cat friend to travel with me because they are willing to let me have some space and they also want some space most of the times. I am a feral alley cat that likes her freedom and loves to travel solo. No kittens or doggies allowed. lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ms Lucy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about when the herd of cats gets to the bottom of the escalator and they just STOP and stand there and everyone else going down piles into them. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For years now my poker buddies and I have developed a methodology to handle when we all are there for WSOP with obviously different timetables/demands. Every day we have a breakfast spot at 9am and a happy hour spot at 5pm where all are invited to attend.

Whoever shows up is fine so the attendees can talk/speculate on the absentees. Funny, the attendee speculation stories are always much better than reality for those MIA !

18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been with small groups and as large as 20 people.
    Daytime is pretty much enjoy the pool or activity and we will be at xx bar at 5:30 or 6:00 for happy hour.
    Usually have dinner reservations for anyone that has an interest in joining.
    Sometimes the group goes in two or three directions ,four people go to a show at MBay,two go to Caesars and two others wanted vegetarian.
    The rest have dinner at the chosen restaurant and meet everyone after dinner at another bar.Usually making the main arrangements falls on me.
    I always ask if they are gonna see shows let me know when as they usually conflict with popular dinner times.
    We get a preliminary count for dinners the first couple nights so everybody knows the plan.
    If they are running late,they know where we will be and can get there.
    I try to avoid the frustration of hearding cats when I'm on vacation

19. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I''m hungry"
    "Where should we eat?"
    "I don't know, where do YOU want to eat?"
    "I don't care, you pick a place"
    "OK, let's go to xxxx"
    "Uh, I don't like seafood how about a steak place?"
    "That's too expensive"
    "OK, where do YOU want to go?"
    "I can't think of anyplace, why don't you pick?"
    :bang:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Instigate a fight the first day and no one will bother you for the rest of the trip.

At the top of the list for reasons why I go solo. I've had relatives totally f up day trips to AC. I have a SIL who is butt ugly and has Fred Flintstone feet and always wears sandals. I have no use for her. A seagull pooped right in the center of her cleavage one time. I nearly gagged on the suppressed laugh. Once, on a trip to Washington, D.C., she bragged that because she is a social worker, she could walk anywhere in D.C. without being bothered. I offered her a hundo on the spot to prove it. I would have taken her to the heart of Southeast and dropped her off. She sheepishly refused.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.