1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dining Alone

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Rush, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see a lot of posters here who are afraid, or at least aprehensive, about dining solo.

Why?

No one will think you are weird. Plenty of people eat alone. One thing I have noticed over the years, is that a lone woman will almost always have a book and a glass of wine!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only problem I had with dining alone is all of the "comp money" that I was wasting. Do you know how difficult it is to spend $150 on a meal when you don't drink alcohol?

This is focused primarily on venues that give you vouchers that are "use it or lose it".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of solo people eat alone in vegas because their loved ones are gambling or shopping or resting in their hotel rooms. Or, they are traveling solo.

I travel solo all the time and no big deal to eat alone. I do carry something to read while I am waiting for my food but then I put it away when the food arrives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't you talk to your people about different compensation? Explain you don't eat $150 worth of food, and maybe would settle for $75 free play?

5. andrew5499

andrew5499 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done it and enjoy it. recent smartphone technology helps pass the time.
    Also most all restaurants in vegas have bar areas where you can dine. I enjoy The Henry at Cosmo, Gordon Ramsey Burger place at PH and my FAV is Juilan Serrano's at Aria.

6. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really haven't dined solo at a real restaurant before - not including fast food type joints - so I admit I am apprehensive. I'm not sure if it really has to do with what others will think of me dining alone so much as I'd be bored. I'm not a people watcher and as an introvert I would not enjoy sitting at the bar area chatting up strangers. I think I'd be happier eating in my room watching TV or sitting on my balcony at Cosmo. If I go ahead with my first solo trip (2 nights) in August I guess I will find out.

7. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love dining alone. Not because I can eat whatever I want with no one to judge me, but because I just like being alone sometimes.

I usually have a book to read or can read some literature for my dissertation and can accomplish a lot during that lone(ly) dining experience.

Although, I have to admit, I have looked at some people who are dining alone that just look so stinking sad that I feel sorry for them. I usually pick up the tab for those people. Hard to tell what they are going through, but given the sad looks, I assume it isn't good. It usually perks them up, even if just for a moment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some might not think it perfect, but imagine the alternative: You're at home eating Kraft Mac. It's vacation. Great food. How can that not be enjoyed?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

The sad ones are probably just crabby!

10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Up at Harrahs Reno Steakhouse, they have two tables which I call the "lonely guy" tables, because that's where they seat the parties of one.

Every time I see the maitre d', I ask him, is there a "lonely guy" table available??

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like eating alone. When I'm with a group it's a wonderful meal with lots of laughs, conversation and revelry. But, when I eat alone I can spend more time savoring the food. I always try and visit one or two fine-dining establishments or higher end restaurants by myself on each trip.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

hahaha, see this all the time. I think it's a great way to ensure they're not getting hit on by every guy at the venue

13. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I definitely think philosophies on eating alone are very much dictated by personality types. I will agree that extroverts tend to be okay with eating alone and use the opportunity to meet new folks (especially in Vegas). The thing is, I'd rather come with a book or computer and eat good food at the bar of a restaurant than to go home hungry or, worse, eat a frozen meal. I think once you get over the hump, you begin to not care about others and do what makes you happy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Knucklehead69

Knucklehead69 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel solo to Vegas often and sit at the bar while dining. Always seem to strike up conversations with really interesting people and have made a few new friends.

• Like Like x 2
  15. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love dining alone. And Vegas is one of the best places for it. You can choose the bar or a table and there are a lot of similar people in the situation.

Sometimes I can strike up a conversation or if I just want some quiet respite I can keep to myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In October I went to Vegas and met a friend down there he was with his wife and a couple of other people I didn't know, I stayed at the Rio and he was at MGM so we would try and meet up most days. One of the days I was alone because they went to the Grand Canyon and when they came back they went to KA and than called it a night, I didn't tag along with them so I ended up having lunch and dinner alone, at first it felt weird because I never been to Vegas semi-solo but after I didn't care.
    I am going to Vegas in May, my girlfriend is going to be there for her girls trip, we are staying at Ballys but separate rooms so I would imagine I would be having some meals alone because it's her annual girls trip and I didn't want to interfere with it. I told her I will go and gamble all night anyways.

Ernie

17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eat at redwood grill at California each trip. The bartender is aware of the French onion soup first with bread followed by salad and then a 12 oz piece of cow. Uncanny. And really pleasant. Go for it.

18. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned to eat alone in my early twenties while doing internships in college. Why worry about what other people think unless you think it's true? What I hate is going to bars alone. Nobody ever bothers me when I am alone in a restaurant, even when I sit at the restaurant bar. However, if I sit alone in a real bar everyone seems to think that I am there for conversation. Which is why I love Vegas, because any time I sit at a bar alone it is obvious that I am there to play video poker.

And seriously, if you have problems eating alone in restaurants Vegas is the place to get over it, you're not going to stand out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their escargot is very good to

20. andrew5499

andrew5499 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas another alternative is go to a buffet - that is where i see many people dining alone. I recall a trip last year and I went to the Wynn buffet....I counted no less that 15 tables with single people. 12 were single females.
    I enjoy bar areas, i do not talk much - just read a book on the phone or watch TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.