1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Favorite Fried Chicken Memory

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine was at an Army Corps of Engineers training facility in Vicksburg, MS. Cafeteria type place, but small, and everything was made to order. Had the deep fried chicken parts (half a chicken), deep fried okra, collard greens and rice and gravy, cooked by the stereotypical huge black lady who called everyone baby, honey, doll and sweetie. Damn, that was a good meal!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gus's fried chicken in Memphis. Omg I dream of that chicken sometimes, and I'm not a huge fried chicken fan :) Always a stop when near or in Memphis!!!

3. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine also involves southern cooking. My father was from Arkansas. When I was a kid, whenever we went to visit my grandparents there, my grandmother would fix fried chicken, mashed potatoes using real butter, black eyed peas and greens. I never cared for the greens, but the rest....yum.

4. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a kid growing up in Mobile AL my sister made heavenly pan fried chicken, homemade mac/cheese and lemonade....as a 49 year old she still makes it for me when I'm visiting...best.meal.ever..

5. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a kid growing up in Mobile AL my sister made heavenly pan fried chicken, homemade mac/cheese and lemonade....as a 49 year old she still makes it for me when I'm visiting...best.meal.ever..

6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I knew a little old Southern Lady that would fry up a Pound of Bacon and then proceed to Fry up some Chicken in the Bacon Grease.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had an annual all-church "family reunion" picnic each August.

One year the men in charge of the chicken were at the park across the street cooking the chicken while the rest of us were at the church service.
    They were so busy drinking beer :drunk: and talking :haha: they didn't really pay attention to the chicken and really overcooked it.

I was among the first served and my chicken fell through my styrofoam plate and hit the ground with a smack.
    My replacement piece was really dry, but I was really :feedme: hungry and didn't care much because I was having so much fun watching our normally peace-loving :angel: church members share their feelings :cuss: with the drunk cooks!

A new crew was assigned for cooking the chicken for the next picnic! :D

RICHARD

8. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I've ever had an earth shattering fried chicken.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love fried chicken and eat it all the time so cant think of one particular batch that stands out above another.

i do have a bad experience with it though, i was in the navy and out on cruise for 6 months. we were coming home right before july 4th o i just wanted a big bucket of chicken from kfc to myself. man it just said it all about july 4th, america and all that.

So i get home from cruise and the next day is the 4th so i go to kfc and get a bucket, mnn, this if gonna be good. grab a big piece and take a bite and it was literally like biting into a piece of deep fried tempupedic sponge flavored fat. god it was gross. soured me on the whole bucket.

10. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up less than 10 miles from Knott's Berry Farm. Their Chicken Dinner Restaurant is an institution, awesome fried chicken.

Annual me and Pete
  11. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE fried chicken anywhere anytime...

Poogan's Porch in Charleston, SC - moist tender fried chicken breast and drumstick plate with a side of fried green tomatoes - oh man I miss that place. We used to eat there 2-3 times a year when visiting our daughter. Husband thought the shrimp and grits were even better!

The first time I ever made fried chicken - I had a big electric fryer (wedding present), I seasoned and coated some chicken breasts, turned on the fryer, added Crisco cookng oil to the fryer, dropped the chicken into the fryer basket. After about 30 minutes my chicken was bubbling away and looked nice and brown and crispy. Lifted it out, drained it, served it on a platter for my husband and our good friends. WORST fried chicken ever - greasy to the bone. I didn't know I was supposed to heat the oil first before dropping in the chcken...at least I knew how to make really good mashed potatoes.
    And yes I had a Betty Crocker cookbook, but obviously missed the 'heat oil first' part of the recipe.:bang:

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a big fan of the Carol C. at Roscoe's in Los Angeles. We only have KFC and Popeye's up here along with the local chain called "chicken on the way", none of which hold a candle to Bojangles in the southern states IMHO. I keep waiting for a senior citizen from the Pacific North West to reminisce about the most racially offensive restaurant possibly ever
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_Chicken_Inn

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom loved food. She wasn't the best cook. I mean, she could get three squares out a day but eating, not cooking, was more her passion. Whenever they visited we let her pick from her "favorites" that we did. It might've been osso buco, cedar-plank salmon, ANYTHING Mexican or southwestern. The last trip up before she died, she asked us to get out the fryer and make chicken and frites.

That forever will be the best.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury,In

Best chicken around

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lesley's Fried Chicken----the Chicken Shack. Vibrant nongreasy crust and top notch chicken. I think it is all about the temperature of the grease as the fryer enters. They were masters. Not so many anymore but Waco had the original on the circle I believe.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #1 We would visit my great uncle's family all the time. Every Sunday his wife and daughter would make the best fried chicken with mac and cheese and green beans along with Kool-aid to wash it down. They had enough for their kids, grandkids, extended family and anybody else who happened along. I can still remember how good it was.

#2 My grandmother made good fried chicken herself. Once when we were moving, she decided her contribution would be to make fried chicken at our house for our family and everyone else helping us move. Someone else picked up the chicken and other things she needed but instead of Crisco, they bought lard. She didn't have a choice but to use it and it was the best chicken she ever made.

#3 When I worked in Evanston, I was a half a block away from a place called the Chicken Shack. It's literally a shack they sell chicken out of. I don't know what they do to that chicken but the food is incredible. The place ends up on Top 10 lists for best chicken in the country every now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long time ago. In Jersey, Used to crave a place called "Chicken Delight" slogan was "don't cook tonight call chicken delight". Also at Columbus farm market they had a stand that made pressure fried chicken, jo jo potatoes, and fried turkey butts.

18. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love fried chicken! There's something about a batch of fried chicken fresh out of the fryer. Hot, juicy, tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. When you bite into it, the steam escapes and the clear, savory juices flow from the tender meat.

I've come to love making and eating my own fried chicken. That's because I know it will be hot and fresh right out of the pan. Many times we'd go out to eat and I'd order chicken and too many times than not the chicken was cold, tough, and dry from being left out too long.

I love 'em with fresh peas and corn (if I can get them) otherwise fresh frozen is fine. I love fried chicken......:drooling:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the impression you like fried chicken? :poke:

20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't have a lot of good memories of fried chicken-initially. We always got Church's chicken every Sunday after church- never KFC. Then my high school sweetheart now my husband introduced me to KFC and fried Okra- then came Popeyes-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.