1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone have SlingTV?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Its Only Money, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I've become fed up enough with the cable company that I'm searching out my options. The city I live in will soon have there high speed internet ready for my area, I will be going with them for that. With reliable internet, I think I will get an antenna for the local OTA channels. That leaves me with a few options to get my live sports and the few other cable shows I watch. Anyone have SlingTV, thoughts? What else is there for me?

Thanks

2. txaggie08

txaggie08 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's sports you're looking for, go with PlayStation Vue. You'll get all the major sports networks, access to WatchESPN, and, if you're in a major market, local channels as well.

I chose Vue after doing the free trial on it, Sling, and DirecTV Now. Vue was far and away the best option in my opinion. $45 a month for everything you need all in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a programed Kodi fire stick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StingerHook

StingerHook High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in a similar situation but I think ultimately I'll make the jump once YouTube's TV streaming service goes live - network channels are part of the package but I'm not sure how much local programming there is. I think I've also seen them promote unlimited cloud 'DVR' space.

A friend of mine has Sling and his biggest beef is that he's often a few seconds behind when watching sports - can make for choppy group text message threads haha.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will have to pry my cable from my cold dead hands. No way in the world am I giving it it. i like it too much plus its a major thing that I do.

6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Did I read that right? There's actually someone out there who enjoys paying for cable??

And I agree with the previous poster, get Playstation Vue

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a lot of value to me in the DVR. That kills sling for me.

8. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got rid of cable a year or so ago. I got Sling this year to watch the Super Bowl. I'm happy with it. I can watch some of my favorite shows on a binge watch

9. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playstation Vue! You can even save shows to your favorites to watch later (DVR style or On Demand). Local channels may be nonexistent depending on your location, but they are working to add locals for many areas. We ditched satellite (cable isn't an option where I live) last year and haven't looked back.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Sling or Vue, how do you connect multiple TVs? Is there a DVR option?

11. BobLasVegas

BobLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cut the cable cord in September, after my cable went went UP from $130 to $170! Insane! I may have
    gotten 200 + channels with cable but I only watch a few! I went with an over the air antenna for the
    local channels, cost about $60, but for some reason I can't bring in Fox, which screwed me on a lot
    of sports, including the World Series and Super Bowl! I also bought a ROKU stick for about $50 bucks.
    I subcribed to SLING TV and added on HBO for an extra and my total bill now is about #38 bucks a month!
    I get most of the stations I normally watch except for the FOX situation, and FX. I also spend $11 bucks
    a month on Netflix. This gives me a lot of options for viewing and especially binge watching.
    No really good DVR options available for this. But on on some of the SLING TV cable channels you
    can access past shows for a period of time. The HBO option on SLING TV allows me to access ALL
    of the past HBO Series' and a lot of Movies too.

Overall, after an initial investment of about $110 for the antenna and ROKU stick, I really enjoy
    only paying about 50 bucks month for SLING TV and Netflix.

It is somewhat inconvienent, and has limitations, and I dearly miss my DVR. But the price
    is right!

I need to not spend so much time in front of the boob tube anyway!

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no way I could give up my DVR and watch shows with commercials. Except for sports, we DVR everything.

13. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you mean by connecting multiple TV's? You can sign into the same account from multiple devices. What's nice about Sling is that its available on a number of devices, so you might not have to purchase new equipment.

I've been using Hulu for the last couple of months (and I have a DVR...) and it's pretty awesome. Most shows I watch are posted the next day, no commercials, no fast-forwarding. $12 a month. Watching something on my DVR and having to fast-forward commercials, is my latest first world pain.

14. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SlingTV has a DVR. It's a cloud DVR, and it is just like a normal DVR but without the spinning magnetic disk (hard disk drive). $5 a month for 50 hours. I'm grandfathered in from a free beta with 100 hours.

Anyway, Sling is great. The only downside is that you probably have to have a decent connection, so a wired Roku in your living room is going to run into less problems than a far away TV on wifi. I've read of people with connection problems, haven't really run into it.

The cable companies and ISPs found out that people are giving up the TV package, so they're charging more for internet connectivity for people who cut the cord. People cut the cord to their TV package and landline phone, but never to their net connection - me included.

15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have used Sling in the past, will use it again.

16. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to https://nocable.org/ and when you put in your zip code it will tell you where the closest over the air antenna towers are located. Point you antenna towards the direction of the Fox tower and see if that works. If not you might need to get a longer coaxial cable and move the antenna near a window or a higher point in the house.

I built an antenna like the one below for $10, it's an eye sore but it picks up every channel near me in perfect HD quality.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Multiple TVs. We have 5 TVs in the house. The main TV operates with the DVR and Directv. We have one Smart TV which has an Ethernet connection. The other 3 do not. So how would I connect to sling on those other 3 TVs that don't have Internet?

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would need to get 3 devices to make your dumb TVs Smart, popular options are Roku, Amazon Firestick, and Chromecast. Or you could just buy 1 and move it to whatever TV you watched to watch but that would be a pain in the ass after awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a FireStick or Fire TV for each TV (4 right now, with a TV in the guest room that isn't hooked up). It's nice because we still have music, Amazon Prime, various apps available through Amazon App Store - including Fox Sports Go and CBS All Access (which does have a cost associated with it). We can customize favorites lists and create profiles for each viewer. It works great having a 10 year old who loves Disney, Nick, & Food Network. She has her own profile with all her favorites at the beginning of her guide, then all other channels after the favorites list.

It really hasn't been a hassle at all. Cloud DVR and many shows on demand. There are commercials at times, but the on demand shows usually don't have them. Sometimes there's simply a blue "Playstation View Commercial Break In Process" screen.

One thing I like about Vue is that we have many of the college sports networks (SEC, Big 10, Longhorn Network, etc). I'm a CFB football junkie, so that's a huge plus.

They offer a 7 day free trial if you want to test drive it before you cut the cord.

20. Frank Thomas

Frank Thomas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you watxch NFL RED ZONE on playstation vue or any other service besides sling TV. As far as I have seen no other service provides NFL. REDZONE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.